Are all Toyota dealers this useless? (WARNING - RANT post!)

All Toyota C-HR related discussions
Rockhound

Are all Toyota dealers this useless? (WARNING - RANT post!)

Post by Rockhound » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:18 pm

Apologies in advance but this pressure cooker needs to vent else I might just kill someone. Not sure if allowed to name and shame so have tried to show some restraint.

I needed to get our C-HR serviced for its first 10k service. Last week I started ringing round the dealerships and one branch of a particular dealership brand booked the car in for 2nd April, car would be serviced whilst I waited. However, I was still wanting to get the service done sooner because the missus uses the car to drive to/from her NHS job and didn’t want her to have any issues during this pandemic (car was pretty much at 10k so didn’t want to go way over the limit before getting car serviced, plus there were some warranty issues like lose trim, sat-nav updates, indicator flash to 5 times not 3, which I wanted to get done sooner).

I rang a different branch of the same dealership brand which is a bit further. This branch said they could get the car serviced a whole week sooner (i.e. this week) so I asked them to book me in for this earlier appointment and that I would cancel the previous later appointment at the other branch afterwards. Once the earlier booking was in place, I rang the first branch back, explained the situation and the service rep said they understood and they'd cancelled the 2nd April booking.

I drove to the dealership this morning for the service appointment, traffic was non-existent so arrived a bit early, parked up and walked in and over to the service counter (keeping social distancing in mind). At this point, the service counter rep decides to serve the person who walked in after me first. Ok, fine no worries, it was an older lady with 2 dogs, so I don’t mind, let it go (but at the same time thinking it's not like the missus needs the car back by noon so she can go to hospital for her shift).

When it was my turn to be seen, the service rep says they cannot find my service booking on their system. I asked them to check again, for some reason they prefer to use customer names rather than car registration to check so I asked them to check using the wife’s name and then mine (yes, my wife refused to change her name when we got married because apparently it is too much hassle with all the different registrations needed for NHS, BMA, GMC, RCoA, GovUK etc).

I asked the service rep to check using the car registration instead but still no booking showing. Service rep then says they can check with the mechanics in the workshop to see when they can get to servicing our car but it is going to be a longer wait. I was so angry at the way I was being treated that I basically said no that’s fine, I’ll go somewhere else, said thank you for your time and walked out biting my tongue to stop swearing out loud.

Once outside, I calmed down, trying to think back if I had dreamt up all the phonecalls I’d made last week or how such a large dealership could be so useless at managing bookings. I decided I wasn’t going to let it go. I went back in and asked for the service manager head’s details so I could complain. At this point the service rep disappears to the back office then comes back with the business card for the service manager, then says he can check with the mechanics and push my car through the servicing given I'm the only customer waiting at the time and he can try to have it done within time for the missus to go to work.

I think about it a little. At this point I accept that I'm basically over a barrel because we’re now at 10200 miles and who knows when I will be able to get a service elsewhere if I do not accept this option, especially with the lockdown being practically imminent. I agree to waiting whilst they service the car today as long as I can get the car back asap and definitely by 11:30am. I insist they can forego the complimentary valet etc so I can get the car back sooner. I hand over the key and sit in the waiting area (no-one else waiting so no issues). At this point, the service manager comes out in person, asks if I want some coffee or refreshments. I said no thanks, would be good if I can have my car serviced as promised though. He starts apologising and saying he’s going to look into what happened with the booking and how it got missed. He then insists that whilst the car is waiting to be serviced, it’ll get fully valeted as their way of trying to make up for the screw-up.

2.5 hours later the service is done. I was thinking they might give me some sort of discount but nope £190 full price. Ok, I bite my tongue and pay up not wanting to make a scene. I sign the paperwork, pick up the keys, walk to the car and guess what – no valet done outside. I think ok, maybe they just did the inside. Open the car and nope, inside isn’t valeted either.

None of the issues I mentioned have been looked at either - loose trim still loose. Indicator still only on 3 flashes, sat-nav maps still old version.

After today’s experience there is no way in hell I am ever going to endorse visiting this dealership chain, ever. From now on I will drive the bloody 50 miles to where I bought the car from lasts year to get it serviced instead – at least they know the meaning of decent customer service.

I’d rather torch the car and write it off before I ever step foot in today's crapshoot sorry excuse of a stealership again.

I thought writing this book would help but nope, I'm still fuming. Right, maybe taking the dogs for a walk will take the edge off. See you in an hour or so.

adn1962

Re: Are all Toyota dealers this useless? (WARNING - RANT post!)

Post by adn1962 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:40 pm

I feel your pain. However, I would add that the map download can take at least 40 mins, trim and 5 flashes possibly another 40 mins and service around an hour. Valeting another 30 mins. 2hrs 50 mins in total.
I’ve also just bought a Carista OBD adapter from which you can adjust just about anything yourself - including going from 3 to 5, 7 or 9 flashes. Adapter costs £20.
I also tend to make a song and dance about my expectations at any dealer I use. This tends to give them a bit more focus. I have - a few times, refused to have my car back due to issues not being fixed.
Finally - you may also find the dealer may have minimum amount of technicians in due to this virus.

If you find a dealer who you’re happy with, stay with them. I know it’s hard to find one, but peace of mind is a good mood factor.

P.S. you can update maps yourself via My Toyota e-store.
Metalstream-HSD-Excel 2018. Mud flaps, dash cam, bumper corner protection, chrome boot and sill protectors, door handle protection film.
2018 Honda Forza 300, touring screen, top box and Puig handguards.

GoonerKev

Post by GoonerKev » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:39 pm

Rockhound
Sorry to read that you were treated so badly on your visit to that dealer, definitely not good for business. I myself have the opposite, mine bend over backwards no matter how big or small the problem & if I need a car, they give me one without having to pay for the obligatory insurance cover of £12. You have had one bad deal on that experience & as you said, never again to darken their doorstep. As adn1962 said, the flasher settings can be changed with the Carista OBD adapter (which I did before sending mine back at 5 flashes) & I eventually done map update via My Toyota & help /advice from great people on here ;) . I was fortunate when I traded my GT86 in they transfered over the remaining year of my service plan plus extended it for another year. I certainly think you should contact them again in email form to complain strongly over it (once you have de-stressed), and if no satisfactory reply, then write to the head office, Great Burgh, Burgh Heath, Epsom, Surrey, KT18 5U. Best of luck with your quest, keep us informed.

Kev
Toyota C-HR 1.2T Excel 5dr CVT AWD, Vespa PX, Scomadi TL200
Honda Silverwing, Yamaha Virago XV535DX

Rockhound

Post by Rockhound » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:33 am

Hi adn1962, GoonerKev,

Thank you for the replies and information.

[adn1962 I see from your posts you also have issues with the same brand of dealership, would have been more appropriate to call themselves "$h*tsters" instead! No danger of mis-selling then?! :lol: ]

I think what really annoyed me was their attitude, acting like they were doing me the greatest honour by squeezing our car in for the service yesterday. At no point did any of them actually apologise for losing the booking. It was more like "sorry you feel that way but we're being very decent nonetheless".

In the booking, I had allowed enough time for them to service the car and resolve the niggles (car was booked for 9:15am service start, i was there at 8:45am given they open at 8:30am) - now I have the car serviced (hopefully properly and correctly) but the niggles are all still there. And as predicted we are in proper curfew/lockdown mode which I knew aws imminent and most likely have to put up with the niggles for longer (at which point, they'll say sorry we won't cover under warranty). To make matters worse, just noticed rear door has a small ding in it which was not there before but I bet they'd wash their hands off that too (at least that's one good thing that could come out of all this!). I'll look into fixing the stuff I can like the indicator flash and the satnav updates myself. I'll get ChipsAway sort out the ding. I'll write to Toyota head office so there is record of this issue in case something comes up later on and they then say "well the dealer saw the car and you didn't say anything so the issue wasn't there at the time bla bla bla"

Have to say they've done a brilliant job (and I used to think you cannot get worse than VW dealers) of pi$$ing on what so far has been the best car experience I've ever owned (and that includes quite a few Lexuses (Lexi?) - pleasant quiet drive, decent interior, excellent mpg, easy to park, comfy, spacious, very good looking.

Think I had calmed down. Might need to take another walk now though. Hope I don't get fined! :P

adn1962

Post by adn1962 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:51 am

I wouldn’t say Listers are useless. I’ve used Vantage and Inchcape in the past, now they are useless.
For good dealer service ( in most cases ), you have to buy premium brands. I had a Lexus and they are superb.
Metalstream-HSD-Excel 2018. Mud flaps, dash cam, bumper corner protection, chrome boot and sill protectors, door handle protection film.
2018 Honda Forza 300, touring screen, top box and Puig handguards.