Heater and temp gauge

All Toyota C-HR related discussions
adn1962

Heater and temp gauge

Post by adn1962 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:59 pm

I was driving home last night from Birmingham city centre to home - around 10 miles. 3/4 into the journey, I noticed coolant temp gauge was reading well below normal. I then set heater to HI and only cool air came out of vents. Towards end of journey, heat out of vents was same but coolant temp gauge had risen to just below normal.

Being mechanically minded, I know this is not normal. Car should reach running temp ( 90c) at least 3/4 miles from cold and maintain. Cabin temp set at HI should also give me hot air, not Luke-warm air. Ambient temp was 6c, but this should not impact heating system.

This could be a number of factors:-
1. Thermostat fault.
2. Air lock in cooling system.
3. Head gasket failure.

Anyone else experienced such problems?
Metalstream-HSD-Excel 2018. Mud flaps, dash cam, bumper corner protection, chrome boot and sill protectors, door handle protection film.
2018 Honda Forza 300, touring screen, top box and Puig handguards.

ans

Re: Heater and temp gauge

Post by ans » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:54 am

no ,take it back to the dealer if you think it is a problem maybe do a couple more journeys just to check its not a one off
Toyota C-HR Dynamic Hybrid ,Metal Stream with Black roof.
Mudflaps,LED interior lights
with Chrome extras.
Wind deflectors,Running boards
Incar Wifi
Ordered SEPT 2016 arrived Jan 2017
https://www.chrforums.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=965
Mercedes slk 350

mbell

Post by mbell » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:03 pm

You didn't make the longest journey in the world. Any chance that a good portion of the journey happened to be in EV mode? I've travelled a couple of miles before without the ICE kicking in.

Also, the heating setting has a couple of modes - ECO and FAST from memory. Maybe if you went for the fast option it would demand more energy from the engine, instead of it trying to be as economical as possible.

adn1962

Post by adn1962 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:52 pm

mbell wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:03 pm
You didn't make the longest journey in the world. Any chance that a good portion of the journey happened to be in EV mode? I've travelled a couple of miles before without the ICE kicking in.

Also, the heating setting has a couple of modes - ECO and FAST from memory. Maybe if you went for the fast option it would demand more energy from the engine, instead of it trying to be as economical as possible.
I’ve spoken with dealer today and they have asked me to go in and show them my issue.

I’ve sat in car today following a 4 mile round trip. The engine obviously cut out until I ramped the temp up to max, then it kicked in - as I would expect. When it cut out again, you could see the temp gauge
dropping towards cold. Not sure what that eco/fast button does tbh. I’ve not selected either whilst I’ve had this issue.
With temp on max and gauge just below norm, heat out of vents is quite tepid. My previous Lexus hybrid would be almost scalding. Maybe I’m being over-critical, but it doesn’t behave as I would expect it to.

So, I’m taking it into dealer at end of month ( if we’re not on lockdown ) to show them what I mean, then compare it to another C-HR.
Metalstream-HSD-Excel 2018. Mud flaps, dash cam, bumper corner protection, chrome boot and sill protectors, door handle protection film.
2018 Honda Forza 300, touring screen, top box and Puig handguards.