CH-R 2.0 Boot usage

All Toyota C-HR related discussions
arvani

CH-R 2.0 Boot usage

Post by arvani » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:40 am

Hey everyone,
I am about to order the CH-R 2.0 and my only concern is the trunk space.

Its capacity should be around 300lt I think and by adding the extra spaces below the bottom boot cover (the one where the battery is), it will reach the claimed 358lt.

My question is whether anyone has tried to find a replacement of the bottom cover that segregates that extra space into these small boxes that are not very usable...

An uneven bottom cover (since the battery is placed in the trunk) for the boot might be weird at first sight, but it surely be way more practical when someone wants to transfer luggage. Has anyone came across of any aftermarket uneven boot cover?

Another way to resolve this is also to remove the bottom cover and have a trunk with a metal base and the battery protruding, not very practical but it will add extra space to the trunk

I already have a roof box of 330lt so it's not like I am desperate, just saying... :D

Please let me know if anyone has ever thought about this or found a relevant solution.

Thanks
Chris

Alexr

Re: CH-R 2.0 Boot usage

Post by Alexr » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:26 am

I would be interested in this too as boot space is the main reason why I would not consider a 2.0l. ersion.
All the best
Alex
------------------------
Loving driving my C-HR Excel Hybrid in Metal Stream :P

Rosie60

Post by Rosie60 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:11 pm

I’ve had a spare wheel and kit put in my 1.8. It’s brought the boot floor up to the lip, just like the 2lt. It reduced the overall depth too because the boot liner no longer fitted and I had to cut the liner to get it to fit. Overall it hasn’t really affected what I can carry. I haven’t had to remove the parcel shelf yet to accommodate a tall bag or case. It does look shockingly smaller when you open the boot though
Upgraded to 2020 Orange edition with protection pack, supaguard, and dashcam.
Previously owned a 2017 Excel in Tyrol Silver with protection pack, Supaguard treatment, protection pack and boot liner.

Subota Boy

Post by Subota Boy » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:07 am

I too had the spare wheel kit which brought the floor up to the lip. In the three years of owning the car this has not caused me a problem. If I put something taller in the boot I just take out the rear parcel shelf to get the extra height. The current car is being replaced next month with the 2 litre so I will again have the space I have got used to.

Before spare wheel
[URL=https://s42.photobucket.com/user/Krud1/media/DSCN2479_zpspjtmfymi.jpg.html]Image[/URL]

After spare wheel
[URL=https://s42.photobucket.com/user/Krud1/media/DSCN2480_zpslo1ginyy.jpg.html]Image[/URL]
Our Toyota family consists of C-HR Excel 2 litre in decuma grey, Toyota IQ, Toyota GT86

Subota Boy

Post by Subota Boy » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:48 am

To Arvani/AlexR.

I think that anyone whose main concern is the boot space should seek an alternative car. The C-HR is compromised for space in order to achieve the design. I have seen many complaints about rear visibility, dark interior, lack of boot space etc, and they are all valid if you want a smaller SUV-type vehicle to carry lots of stuff around in. However, the first letter of our cars' name refers to coupe. A coupe will always be a compromise between saloon and estate bodies and if you want function over form, then this vehicle is not the best design to achieve that, I would argue.

Be sure it is what you want, is what I would say.
Our Toyota family consists of C-HR Excel 2 litre in decuma grey, Toyota IQ, Toyota GT86

arvani

Post by arvani » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:16 pm

Subota Boy,
Thanks for the response.
All points mentioned are fine with me besides the boot space.
Let's hope that my 330lt roof box will cancel out this restriction.

In any case, I will see if I find any aftermarket bottom for the trunk to size up the boot.

Subota Boy

Post by Subota Boy » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:45 pm

Arvani - good hunting! Enjoy your car!!

Alexr

Post by Alexr » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:00 pm

Subota Boy wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:48 am
To Arvani/AlexR.

I think that anyone whose main concern is the boot space should seek an alternative car. The C-HR is compromised for space in order to achieve the design. I have seen many complaints about rear visibility, dark interior, lack of boot space etc, and they are all valid if you want a smaller SUV-type vehicle to carry lots of stuff around in. However, the first letter of our cars' name refers to coupe. A coupe will always be a compromise between saloon and estate bodies and if you want function over form, then this vehicle is not the best design to achieve that, I would argue.

Be sure it is what you want, is what I would say.
I have tell you that I most certainly should not seek alternative car, as I have my CHR for over 3 yrs and am still in love with it. It is easily the best car I ever owned. I merely said that the hugely reduced boot space would put me off buying the 2.0l version when I come to change it. Boot space is certainly not the main concern for me. End of rant.
All the best
Alex
------------------------
Loving driving my C-HR Excel Hybrid in Metal Stream :P