New 'Facelift' Model C-HR... First impressions

All Toyota C-HR related discussions
BIG GOJ

New 'Facelift' Model C-HR... First impressions

Post by BIG GOJ » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:29 pm

So, today I traded my 2018 Nebula Blue 1.8 Hybrid Dynamic C-HR in..... for a new Pearlescent white 2.0 Hybrid Excel C-HR!!

I promise I will post some pics in the next few days but have only had it a matter of hours and driven all of 4 miles to gym and back in it, but thought I post a few first impressions for you on the 'new' model.

I really liked my 2018 C-HR but, although early days, I love this new one - Toyota have done a great job of refining and improving on an already great car!

I like the newer shape, but understand this is subjective, the addition of the piano black spoiler on the boot lid to join the rear lights is a really nice touch. The new headlights are also great and much improved over the old version.

On the inside is where the best improvements have been made (in my opinion). The materials (plastics) seem much better quality, the dashboard and instrument panel had been tidied up, with less clutter of lights on the dials. The centre display is also now white on black background which gives it a more refined look.

The new infotainment system with Appleplay is much improved - Not only is Applyplay a great addition anyway but they seem to have listened and upgraded the graphics, interface and speed at whatever you need to use - Bonus is my DAB radio actually picks up the channels I want to listen to as well! I can now listen to Planet Rock perfectly which I couldn't even receive on the old system - Actual buttons to press make a nice change to!

Driving wise... it so much more quiet, smooth and fast than the previous model.

The suspension and steering give it the feel of the higher mark German brands I have owned in the past - the steering wheel on this one actually feels like it is attached to the wheels, which is nice!! ;)

Sport mode is now selected by moving the gear selector across to the right (instead of having to go through the menu on the instrument display - which always annoyed me) and you now have the option to use it in 'semi-auto / tiptronic' mode, (whatever you want to call it) by pushing the gear selector forward or back.

Give it a little squirt and it takes off nicely but with no fuss and more importantly no 'drone' from the engine - the bigger engine obviously helps but they have obviously upgraded the noise deadening too as it is now a very quiet car.

Too early to notice fuel economy and the boot is now quite small due to the bigger battery in the boot space - although under the floor of the boot there is quiet a bit of extra storage space, so not all bad!

As, I said - very early days but very impressed at the improvements Toyota has made with this version of the C-HR - If you like the current one you will love the new one!!!

Picture to follow soon....
Pearlescent White 'Face-Lift' 2.0 C-HR Hybrid Excel

Karmalakas

Re: New 'Facelift' Model C-HR... First impressions

Post by Karmalakas » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:50 am

Headlights improved how?

I personally didn't like the look of what they've done to them and the more pics I see, the more I hate it :(
HSD in Earth Bronze (a.k.a. Havana Brown)

Lilywhite

Post by Lilywhite » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:32 am

I like the rear !!! I don't think the front end is to hot looking looks very rounded.
Obviously the new edition like apple CarPlay and android auto are great. I can live with our them also the new headlights should provide better light plus the new 2.0 litre engine is great but at a €3000 more then the 1.8.
The CHR is an expensive car well to me it is so not a hope would I be paying nearly €37000 for a new 2. Litre.
C-HR Hybrid Luna Sport
Pearl White/Black Roof

BIG GOJ

Post by BIG GOJ » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:20 pm

Karmalakas wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:50 am
Headlights improved how?

I personally didn't like the look of what they've done to them and the more pics I see, the more I hate it :(
As I say.... looks are all subjective and wasn't too sure with the pictures I have seen prior to buying it - but in the flesh (Tin) i really like it!!! Although must admit it is a car that looks great from some angles and not so from others :lol:

The lights are much more powerful (it seems) and they auto-level and move left / right when cornering, which never seemed to happen on my previous Dynamic! Rear lights with sequential indicators are cooler though!! :D

Karmalakas

Post by Karmalakas » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:33 am

Hopefully, when I have to switch my C-HR, Toyota will come out with the best features and looks from both :)
HSD in Earth Bronze (a.k.a. Havana Brown)

skyone

Post by skyone » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:53 am

BIG GOJ wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:29 pm

Sport mode is now selected by moving the gear selector across to the right (instead of having to go through the menu on the instrument display - which always annoyed me)
can you explain better this step? because the updated manual still states to enter the software menu to select sport mode...
if you mean the S mode showed on the picture (in UK should be M) , that is not the Sport mode (as stated by the manual)

Screenshot_2019-12-06-03-05-24-340_com.adobe.reader.jpg

Screenshot_2019-12-06-03-05-19-583_com.adobe.reader.jpg

Screenshot_2019-12-06-03-05-10-203_com.adobe.reader.jpg

IMG_20191206_024837.jpg

Sjhaycroft

Post by Sjhaycroft » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:11 am

In my current car (new mazda 3) the set up is the same as the picture of the manual you've attached. If you flick the gear selector over to M it enters manual mode. Push up (+) to shift up a gear and pull back (-) to shift down. Can't wait to pick up my orange edition in March. This things killing me in fuel :lol:

Alexr

Post by Alexr » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:42 pm

Interesting. Anyone know if this multidrive operation ( replacing the B position) applies to the 1.8 engine as well as the 2 litre?
All the best
Alex
------------------------
Loving driving my C-HR Excel Hybrid in Metal Stream :P

BIG GOJ

Post by BIG GOJ » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:08 pm

skyone wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:53 am
BIG GOJ wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:29 pm

Sport mode is now selected by moving the gear selector across to the right (instead of having to go through the menu on the instrument display - which always annoyed me)
can you explain better this step? because the updated manual still states to enter the software menu to select sport mode...
if you mean the S mode showed on the picture (in UK should be M) , that is not the Sport mode (as stated by the manual)
..... :? This isn't confusing at all is it???..... it is as in the picture with an 'S' and the + / - !! I am in the UK though it is definitely an S and not an M!

I did say I had only had it a few hours and just assumed it was sport mode as I cant find it in the usual place on the instrument panel and this is similar to the setup I have had in the past on my BMW.

I will explore more....

BIG GOJ

Post by BIG GOJ » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:42 pm

Okay, so I have done some checking (and reading of the manual I have just downloaded)!

I managed to find the 'sport' mode on the dash....slightly more hidden than before, but can confirm that yes it is elected in the same way.

So.... the 'S' mode is really just there as a manual version of the engine braking?

Return to “Main Toyota C-HR chat”