12v Battery troubles

All Toyota C-HR related discussions
Jayschr

Re: 12v Battery troubles

Post by Jayschr » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:11 am

As i started this thread, I thought I should give an update especially for those suffering similar problems. Despite Mr T's assurances that there was not a problem with the battery after their extensive tests over 4 days and they told me that there was no other alternative battery available and they would not replace a "good" battery. I was so sure it was a problem with the battery itself I decided to enquire at the local tyre and exhaust garage on my way home from Toyota. The garage immediately found a higher rated battery (54AH in lieu of the 45AH) as recommended by Toyota according to their research and this replacement battery has solved all my woes. I have not changed anything else or altered any other settings in the car and I now love my car again.

kelvin66

Post by kelvin66 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:06 pm

I think you need to go back to Toyota and claim back the money you spent on the battery. Their diagnostics aren't very good if this is the outcome!
Dynamic Hybrid in Decumar Grey.

villageoldman

Post by villageoldman » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:46 pm

My vehicle has just had its first service, we went on holiday and on return battery completely flat. 44 years of driving first time using a breakdown company. Interesting!! My concern , is it a common problem ? What causes it and any remedies ? . Shame as I liked the car in its first year. Toyota dealer has said battery ok?

smartly

Post by smartly » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:50 pm

My car went in today for it's first service at just over 2500 miles. Battery failed test so replaced like for like under warranty. As the 12V battery failed the couldn't do the hybrid battery test so I need to take the car back in 500 miles.
2018 ( 68 ) Toyota C-HR 1.8 Hybrid in Nebula Blue, Dynamic with Premium Pack

CJS1

Post by CJS1 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:00 am

My CH-R hybrid has been standing for a week or so, so I thought I would give it a run.
I managed to get in but it was as dead as a dodo, wouldn't do anything.
I checked the 12 V battery and it was down at 6 Volts so it was a flat battery.
I have put it on trickle charge but I cannot get the lights to go off. How the heck will it charge with the lights on ??
Would a fast charge be better ? Always a bit unsure of a fast charge with it connected.

villageoldman

Post by villageoldman » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:58 am

Mine was flat after coming back from holiday, breakdown just jumped it and then took it to main dealers to check. Have been told not to leave which is a nuisance when you have holidays.!! This has put a friend off from purchasing one, Only idea that has been put forward is next time get a solar panel trickle charger ! The dealer said no problems found after checking and recharging which took three days. Battery was so flat would not open doors.

Karmalakas

Post by Karmalakas » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:43 am

Have left mine multiple times for couple of weeks. Once for almost 3 weeks outside in around 0C temp. No problem - started right away :/
HSD in Earth Bronze (a.k.a. Havana Brown)

drabisan

Post by drabisan » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:25 pm

Same here. Nearly 3 weeks in wet cold weather.
At first I tried to open it by grabbing the handle, like usual. It didn't open. I was like s..t!
Then I realized key was in the backpack and between key and the car there was a laptop, a tablet, all my photo gear. I took the backpack off my back, turn it so hey will face the car, grab the handle and all good!
It is a bit weird we have a large battery under the back seat but we also need a 12v battery. I bet it's possible if they will want to combine it.
Another idea: some sort of protection for 12v battery. If voltage drops below a level, turn off all consumers. Insurance may not like that at all. But for users it's a far better experience than running out of juice.

DutCHR

Post by DutCHR » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:32 pm

Because its just a small battery and only used for starting up the computer systems.. it can be drained by a alarm system.
Some UK models have alarm system as standard??

If 12v battery is low or empty.. just a jumpstart will be enough. If you use a charger, just connect it and dont start the car for a while.
As long as all the systems start up (READY-light comes up), the Hybrid battery will recharge your 12v battery again.
The C-HR hybrid does not have a alternator to charge but it will also take some drivingtime to get it fully charged again.
2017 C-HR Hybrid Metalstream Grey --- Genuine JDM styled and also a lot of sh*t from China
2019 Corolla TS 2.0 Hybrid --- 180HP Girlpower!

CJS1

Post by CJS1 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:09 pm

I had another flat battery problem on Friday with my hybrid, it wouldn't start and when I measured the battery it was 7.5 volts.
I rang Toyota Leeds and they said they would order a new battery but no deliveries until Saturday.
I called Britannia my breakdown service who came out and started it on the drive with a battery pack. I then took it in to Toyota, Leeds, and left it with them.
Picked it up this morning with a new battery fitted under warranty.
Great service from Toyota.
When I had similar problems with my previous motor which was a GT86, they wouldn't fit a new one under warranty so I had an upgraded one fitted myself which resolved the problem.

That's two brand new Toyota cars I have had and both had battery problems !!