Dashcam again

Faults and Technical chat for the Toyota C-HR
Andygg

Dashcam again

Post by Andygg » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:29 pm

My UK hybrid chr is a week old & I know this topic has probably been discussed to :roll: but for someone thats just fitted a Halfords own make hdr300 with rear camera for nothing i really dont want to waste my time again, usual prob dab reception gets lousy & volume decreases when dashcam on so took back for refund.
The logical answer is to fit a nextbase 380gw that toyota fit for £250 but it doesn't have a rear window cam.
Questions----
1. I have my eye on a nextbase 422gw with rear window cam as it can record 1080p front & rear but will it affect my dab, anyone had success with this set up?

2. Lastly these cams seem to have pitiful internal batteries for when the units in parking mode so think i might hardwire to fusebox, as the hybrid has lots of complicated electrics has anyone with a hybrid experienced probs?

smartly

Re: Dashcam again

Post by smartly » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:50 pm

I bought the Nextbase Duo cam ( that's it's name ) and it's adjustable on both front and back lenses. Hardwired to fuse box with nextabse extra lead but to non-permanent live. It's fine for what I want. Bear in mind though that it's a bit tricky adjusting the rear one due to small rear window and the two headrests.

Think the one you are talking about has separate camera at the back but you wire it to the front camera? So you'd need to lift the carpet or relase at the sides, then have problem of getting it up under the rooff lining and into the tail gate abd back out - I think.
2018 ( 68 ) Toyota C-HR 1.8 Hybrid in Nebula Blue, Dynamic with Premium Pack

Andygg

Post by Andygg » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:11 pm

The duo is no good as rear camera is for filming rear compartment which is ok if your a taxi driver & i fitted front & rear cam today with wires under sill trim & upto tailgate with no probs

chr-lisbon

Post by chr-lisbon » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:23 am

My 2 cents
Cheap cameras for parking mode is waste of money, forget about internal batteries they will die/swallow at some point..

I have thinkware F770 in another car (front and rear) and has being brilliant for parking mode (connected to the battery/fuse)

On the CHR i have Vantrue N2 Pro with GPS Suction Cup Mount + connected to the cigarette lighter (No parking mode) and is the cheapest Dashcam i would buy.

The advantage of the N2 pro is large memory card support and at some point 15€ allows to upgrade the to mini usb 12v-24v to connect to the battery/fuse

Andyfiggy2002

Post by Andyfiggy2002 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:28 pm

I spoke to nextbase tech support this morning & they think its the long cable to the rear cam that's causing the prob with DAB, on some cars its ok & some it isn't therefore looks like I will b forced to go with a Nextbase DUO or Vantrue N2 Pro Dual. Im not sure how the cars DAB aerial runs to the shark fin on roof but are you guys running the power cable round the outside windscreen trim ot just letting it hang down from the cam??????

Malc1975

Post by Malc1975 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:47 pm

The duo has been discontinued briefly by Toyota
There is the last load coming in on the 17th of the month but it's due to be replaced by a unit similar to the current 380 gw camera with a separate camera for the rear

They also trialled developing software to enable the reverse camera to be constantly recording as a inbuilt rear camera but didn't hear anymore after the initial pilot was launched

MacTky

Post by MacTky » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:25 pm

We have a duo ordered and to be fitted into our Excel which arrives next month. Hopefully the they still have it as I called in and paid for it in advance last week.
I'm not worried about it filming the back seat passengers. We mainly drive alone. Sometimes our grandson and girlfriend join us. We will warn them they are on candid camera as we will all passengers 😂😂

Return to “Faults & Technical”