How to get a wire inside center console

Faults and Technical chat for the Toyota C-HR
jaredanz

How to get a wire inside center console

Post by jaredanz » Fri May 17, 2019 11:27 am

Hi.
I need help before I ruin something. :geek:
I'm installing a front Dash cam and need to get the wire to the 12v outlet inside the center console.
All wiring is hidden from the windshield until I pass the glove compartment and get to the center console.
Any tricks opening/disassembling/mingling the wire to the outlet so the wire is not showing?

smartly

Re: How to get a wire inside center console

Post by smartly » Fri May 17, 2019 12:40 pm

Why not put it to the fuse box in the side of the passenger foot-well like most have done? Try a search for location / fuse number.
2018 ( 68 ) Toyota C-HR 1.8 Hybrid in Nebula Blue, Dynamic with Premium Pack

johnan

Post by johnan » Fri May 17, 2019 3:34 pm

I always use the 12v socket for such extras as it is already fused, switched and "accessory" controlled, and the cable is very easily removable.

I lead the wire down the A pillar behind the rubber door seal then underneath the plastic door sill, the wire is easily tucked under it, until it reaches the seat, drivers or passengers depending on which side you are taking the wiring from the camera, where it is visible for a tiny amount as it crosses from under the sill , under the seat and across to the centre console where it goes up and into the console at the rear where it can not be seen.
Very straightforward, although I had to buy a 12v extension as my camera lead was too short.
Works fine.
C-HR Design,1.2 Turbo, Tokyo Red Pearl. space saver spare, chrome side sills and light rings, protection pack, dash cam, Scangauge2, Cheetah C550 camera alert, arm rest inner tray. Private plate.
Old friend in garage, MG Midget

jaredanz

Post by jaredanz » Sat May 18, 2019 3:36 pm

Thank you both for your suggestions.
I ended up with almost same solution as you suggested Johnan and I had same problem, the wire was a bit too short and bought a 12v extension.
I hid the wire under the center console all the way to the back of it. Here it is visible going up and inside, although hidden somewhat by the passengers seat.
I'm not comfortable wiring to the fuse box Smartly, although doing so would obviously conceal the wire completely and would have been a better solution.
I'm considering asking the workshop to hide it at next service.

Again thank you :!:

Return to “Faults & Technical”