Potential Company Car Replacement Advice Please

All Toyota C-HR related discussions
alunwill

Potential Company Car Replacement Advice Please

Post by alunwill » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:11 pm

Hi there new to the forum, not a current C-HR owner but I’m in the process of changing my company car and it is currently on a short list of 2 (the other being the 2.0 Corolla Hybrid) so thought you may be able to help me out with a couple of queries.

A quick search of the forum has answered my first question, the confusion around whether or not the Design package contains the Blind Spot Monitoring System - the info on the Toyota website being somewhat conflicting - and it looks like it doesn’t which I must admit baffles me but hey ho.

So it looks like at the moment I will be going for the 1.8 Hybrid Icon with Tech Pack, Nav and Parking Pack. Seems to cover everything I need, I would have liked to have the Parking Assist but for the extra £1.6k cost of moving up to the Excel I think I should be able to live without it!

I’ve taken one out for two test drives, the first drive was a relaxed driving style to see how the car performs in my daily commute conditions and it returned a pretty respectable 63 plus mpg without even really tying too hard, just my usual driving style.

After doing a bit more research and reading I became a little concerned about a perceived lack of responsiveness from the CVT when you need to put your foot down to perform a rapid manoeuvre. I currently drive and Audi A3 1.6TDI (110 bhp). No speed demon by any stretch of the imagination but putting it in the right gear and putting the foot down the turbo kicks in and Bob’s your uncle. So back to the dealership for my second drive, but only a short one this time. Up and down a dual carriageway pootling at about 40 then flooring it to see the response. It seemed to hit 60 before I knew it so I think it will cope with being able to do a quick overtake on a single carriage A or B road if I need to get past a Sunday driver. A further search of this forum and the responses to putting it in “Sports Mode” seem to have alleviated my concerns even further.

So my question to you lovely people out there in C-HR land is do you think my assessment above is about right or should I have further concerns? What’s it actually like to live with on a day to day basis? I’m not looking for a high performance sports car but a comfortable around town / motorway cruiser but one which won’t leave me lacking on the odd occasion I will need to call on a little extra power.

The other option would be to step up to the 2 litre in the Corolla but I really don’t like the idea of the loss of boot space from the extra battery pack. Plus the C-HR is so damn beautiful I’d much rather that than the boring old hatchback.

Apologies for the somewhat lengthy post but any advice would be greatly received.

Al

Alexr

Re: Potential Company Car Replacement Advice Please

Post by Alexr » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:15 pm

I think you had done a good bit of research there and it sounds like you just want me to confirm your choice. I dont have experience of tbe Corolla/Auris but I LOVE my CHR, so does that make me biased or experienced?!
I say go for the CHR every time - provided you want a gentle comfortable ride most of the time, and just the occasional burst of power. Petrol heads wont like it.
All the best
Alex
------------------------
Loving driving my C-HR Excel Hybrid in Metal Stream :P

alunwill

Post by alunwill » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:32 pm

Alexr wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:15 pm
I think you had done a good bit of research there and it sounds like you just want me to confirm your choice. I dont have experience of tbe Corolla/Auris but I LOVE my CHR, so does that make me biased or experienced?!
I say go for the CHR every time - provided you want a gentle comfortable ride most of the time, and just the occasional burst of power. Petrol heads wont like it.
My boy racer days are long over so it's very much an easy going driving machine I'm looking for. I love the seats in the car I've tested, very comfortable and the visibility is better than I thought it would be though I must admit I haven't tried any tricky reverse manoeuvres yet! I just want to be sure there is that power there when I need it. This afternoon I've learned that hopefully the lease company will be able to provide me one for an extended trial so hopefully I should be able to put my own mind to rest but thank you for taking the time to respond.

Toyota_Fan

Post by Toyota_Fan » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:13 pm

hi @alunwill,
I test drove the 2019 Corolla 1.8 Hybrid a few weeks back and I was quite surprised by how nice it was but was told and issue with the 2.0 ltr version, due to the 2 ltr engine taking up too much space in the engiune compartment they had to place the 12 volt battery in the boot which leaves a 12 volt battery shape sticking out of the boot floor where as the 1.8 does not have this issue at all, test drove the Excel 1.8 version of it and I felt it was more refined than the CHR but I love everything about my CHR and I wont really change my car for the Corlooa myself.
C-HR Excel 1.8 Hybrid, Full Leather, Premium Pack, Protection Pack in Metal Stream, Car Ordered 19/09/2016, Car Arrived 03/01/2017, Collected 10/01/2017

alunwill

Post by alunwill » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:15 pm

Toyota_Fan wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:13 pm
hi @alunwill,
I test drove the 2019 Corolla 1.8 Hybrid a few weeks back and I was quite surprised by how nice it was but was told and issue with the 2.0 ltr version, due to the 2 ltr engine taking up too much space in the engiune compartment they had to place the 12 volt battery in the boot which leaves a 12 volt battery shape sticking out of the boot floor where as the 1.8 does not have this issue at all, test drove the Excel 1.8 version of it and I felt it was more refined than the CHR but I love everything about my CHR and I wont really change my car for the Corlooa myself.
Hi @Toyota_Fan that seems very much to chime in with what I’ve heard about the boot space. Even my local dealer took a big intake of breath when I mentioned it. He reckoned it took about 4” out of the boot space in what isn’t he biggest of compartments as it is. So for me the C-HR is definitely the one to go for even though I hear what you say about the 1.8 Corolla. I just think the C-HR would just suit my needs a bit better. Now convincing the guys who write our companies car policy may be a whole different matter but at least I have a backup plan if I need to go down that route :D

Toyota_Fan

Post by Toyota_Fan » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:30 pm

hope I helped even if it was a small way keep us posted in what you will be getting and most importnat pictures of course :)
C-HR Excel 1.8 Hybrid, Full Leather, Premium Pack, Protection Pack in Metal Stream, Car Ordered 19/09/2016, Car Arrived 03/01/2017, Collected 10/01/2017

CJS1

Post by CJS1 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:57 pm

I think your initial assessment on the first post regarding the CHR is about right.
It doesn't throw you back in the seat when you put your foot flat down but it has enough power to cope with most situations.
You just have to get used to the CVT gearbox doing its own thing in the background.
I've had mine for about 18 months now and its a joy to drive - so easy and comfortable with a brilliant driving position.
Reversing vision isn't brilliant but the camera certainly helps.

PGBe3

Post by PGBe3 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:10 pm

Alexr wrote:
Comfortable! - Really? Mine is awful. anyone test driving one of these should make sure they borrow it for a weekend. If you still have any teeth left you will probably decide that the VW Golf is what you should have bought after all.

Alexr

Post by Alexr » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:45 pm

PGBe3 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:10 pm
Alexr wrote:
Comfortable! - Really? Mine is awful. anyone test driving one of these should make sure they borrow it for a weekend. If you still have any teeth left you will probably decide that the VW Golf is what you should have bought after all.
Yes really. (and I still have a full set of teeth). I think this is the most comfortable car I have had so I think your may be faulty.
All the best
Alex
------------------------
Loving driving my C-HR Excel Hybrid in Metal Stream :P

PGBe3

Post by PGBe3 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:14 pm

I had my Chr back to Listers Toyota twice and they insist it is typical. I also drive another example and it is just as bad as mine. There doesn't seem to be any absorbtion of bumps and every defect in the road is felt. So there is nothing wrong with my car, they just are built that way, i.e. rock solid suspension.

Return to “Main Toyota C-HR chat”