Engine problems

Faults and Technical chat for the Toyota C-HR
SpaceCoyote

Re: Engine problems

Post by SpaceCoyote » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:04 pm

Dave D wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:10 pm
I have hybrid and have only ever used supermarket fuel..and never had any problems and I have used it in serveral company cars over the past 20 years and not one has any engine problems...Why people use fuel which is higher than the recommended grade is beyond me..Why pay more than you need too.?...
I used Shell V Power for the extra omph, and significantly increased MPG. I did some calculations shortly after making the switch, and while it's typically about 8p per litre more than Shell's regular unleaded, the extra MPG more than covered the extra cost.

Dave D

Post by Dave D » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:53 pm

SpaceCoyote wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:04 pm
Dave D wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:10 pm
I have hybrid and have only ever used supermarket fuel..and never had any problems and I have used it in serveral company cars over the past 20 years and not one has any engine problems...Why people use fuel which is higher than the recommended grade is beyond me..Why pay more than you need too.?...
I used Shell V Power for the extra omph, and significantly increased MPG. I did some calculations shortly after making the switch, and while it's typically about 8p per litre more than Shell's regular unleaded, the extra MPG more than covered the extra cost.
I can't believe paying an extra 40p per gallon gave that much mpg..the price difference would be even greater against supermarket fuel rather than Shell regular..I will stick to supermarket fuel and just use sport mode for the extra omph...
Hybrid Excel White Pearl....with no stick on plastic bits running on supermarket fuel...

asinrute

Post by asinrute » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:25 am

As far as normal unleaded petrol is concerned, supermarket fuel comes out of the same tank as anyone else. By and large thy all use unitanks
Toyota C-HR Dynamic Hybrid ,Metal Stream with Black Roof, Leather and Running boards

Mac

Re: Engine problems, important info

Post by Mac » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:06 pm

Hi Shetland C-HR,
My story is a very long one, but as a 'quick reply' here goes, I also have a 2017 1.2 Icon. I had a similar fault, sudden loss of power, three times, 19 Oct, 28 Oct and 26 Nov, each time, power restored and fault light cleared after safely pulling in and after stopping, switching off/on. First one occurred after driving abt 130 miles, while at speed on A1, in middle lane, not a good situation. The other two were fortunately at lower speeds on quieter roads.
Car to my local Toyota Centre, Fault code P030100 each time. First time 'poss computer glitch' reset, second time, identified as faulty plug connection cyl one, third time, after much emailing from me to Toyota Customer Service, my dealer was authorised to remove the cylinder head and remove carbon buildup from the inlet valves.( an engine out job). The reasoning being that the misfire was due to cylinder one shutting down due to carbon fragment(s) passing through the inlet valve port. Day before I was due to collect car, I was contacted and informed 'Technical' had also actioned the fitting of new coil packs. Have now driven car abt 2,000 miles with no further problems.
That is the very short version believe me! Points to note, my local centre have been excellent throughout this period. And Toyota Customer Relations, have also done all they could, very much caught in the middle as I see it. By far the main issue lies with 'Technical', both UK and Europe. Only route of communication is via CR department, no direct response.
Now, the most important info. After many emails (and weeks) requesting the root cause of misfire, last week I finally received the following from Customer Service, and I quote:-
'As advised, I did request for a senior member of our Technical Department to review your feedback and I have been advised the following:-
1) Root cause of the misfire was due to a circuit inside the ignitor being contaminated in production. Counter measured with a change in production operation.
2) This issue will not reoccur, as modified coil packs have been fitted.
3) No investigation is outstanding on your car's misfire issue.
4) Ongoing investigation for carbon build up on low speed driving vehicles and short trips is ongoing but not relevant to your vehicle.'

I have replied to this asking several questions and now await a response, but as I'm sure you can see, there are definite issues which need to be addressed.
How many C-HRs require remedial work? Note that no TSB has to date been issued, only a bulletin making dealers aware that this fault is known and the action to take, should customers report such a problem.

And, the ongoing investigation for carbon buildup on low speed driving vehicles and short trips. ('not relevant' to my vehicle, I suspect after I replied to an earlier email suggesting my driving technique may be the issue!) This may well be your issue on Shetland, given your road network etc. And may account for the other C-HRs in dock at your dealers. And surely the question to be asked of Toyota, how many cars are affected?

Apologies if this seems long winded but no other way to lay it out. Trust me, I've had to put in a lot of time and effort to get this result. And I'm not finished yet.

shetland c-hr

Post by shetland c-hr » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:57 pm

Thank you

Mac

Post by Mac » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:13 pm

Hope it helps you get a positive result. It's known that carbon buildup on the inlet valves is more problematic in direct injection (petrol) systems, put down to the lack of the fuel flush effect present in indirect systems. VAG and BMW are finding this with some of their vehicles BUT ONLY ON THOSE OF HIGH MILEAGE. My C-HR had done just over 15000 miles when the misfire first occurred.
I am not fully convinced of my true root cause. Did the faulty coil packs cause the carbon buildup which then caused the misfires, but only on the same cylinder three times? One would think that carbon particle release would be more random, given three valves of four had significant premature carbon buildup. Or is it that the misfire was purely due to coil pack failure affecting cylinder one, and the carbon buildup is a separate problem? I have asked Technical and await an answer.
And hope you don't mind but I also drew their attention to your plight, 'The Shetland Problem', suggesting they may want to look at it more closely ref their short trip, low speed theory.

Mac

Re: Engine problems update. Coil pack TSB issued.

Post by Mac » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:59 pm

Final word from Toyota,
My vehicle misfire, confirmed this was due to faulty coil packs, not due to the premature carbon buildup.
Premature carbon build up, investigation ongoing.
Concern is reference the 'durability' of coil packs. TSB regarding coil packs issued 20th February. Modified coil pack fitting where fault codes and/or misfire indicate change is required.
What's the latest with your problem, Shetland c-hr? And any news on the other C-HRs in your area?

Gal98

Post by Gal98 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:15 am

Hi hope you got sorted in the mean time. We had a brand new CHR in the dealer which went out with no lights on. A day later , it kept cutting out and the dashboard was like a Christmas tree with lights, I couldn’t find any faults, tech report after tech report was sent to Toyota. Toyota took the car back themselves to have a look , 2 weeks later they found the back tail light was leaking water into the car, water damage on the wires caused all of this.

Return to “Faults & Technical”