Re: Any suggestions for phone dock?

Post by Spagyi » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:01 pm

This one works pretty well for me.

06491219-2331-408A-BA7D-84ED92C0533B.jpeg

2AE8BCC9-C2E4-4A5A-8947-057CDD0398AD.jpeg

Overexposed

Post by Overexposed » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:03 am

I wanted a phone dock basically for google maps. As PJPLONDON suggested earlier on page 5, I use one of these and I am totally satisfied because: a) it is very steady, b) I wanted no glue (it has a 3M tape but I don't use it because it sits nicely without it!), c) I am not a fan of magnetic holders that require extra cases for phone and d) other plastic holders that I've used on several cars over the years just fall off eventually. I think it is perfect for map viewing (only restriction the landscape mode) because the place it fits (just above the steering wheel) is very convenient. I don't know if it is practical for other use (music and stuff) but for what I wanted it is perfect

IMG_1965.jpg

IMG_1964.jpg

1.2 Turbo Manual - C-ENTER - Metal Stream

Dr_Michael

Post by Dr_Michael » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:24 pm

Overexposed wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:03 am
I wanted a phone dock basically for google maps. As PJPLONDON suggested earlier on page 5, I use one of these and I am totally satisfied because: a) it is very steady, b) I wanted no glue (it has a 3M tape but I don't use it because it sits nicely without it!), c) I am not a fan of magnetic holders that require extra cases for phone and d) other plastic holders that I've used on several cars over the years just fall off eventually. I think it is perfect for map viewing (only restriction the landscape mode) because the place it fits (just above the steering wheel) is very convenient. I don't know if it is practical for other use (music and stuff) but for what I wanted it is perfect
IMG_1965.jpg
IMG_1964.jpg
It is not available anymore in Amazon. I found a similar in ebay. Should I go for it or is it a cheap imitation?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1PC-Car-HUD-Da ... 0935.m2460

Overexposed

Post by Overexposed » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:06 pm

I think you should go for it. It's not something you should put money on. I got it from amazon but it came from china too... check

It seems to be identical. If you do the trick with 3 euros you will be two times satisfied :P...And from my experience I think you will. If it’s not the same, the concept is exactly the same. From where it fits it won’t go anywhere. I don't know if it will last forever but I know I won't regret the (little) money I gave. So it' s a rather safe choice. Only concern to see if your phone meets the requirements (size or weight).

Dr_Michael

Post by Dr_Michael » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:31 pm

Overexposed wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:03 am
IMG_1965.jpg
IMG_1964.jpg
I just purchased a similar one and it seems fine. The only disadvantage is that the steering wheel hides a small part of the bottom of the phone screen. But it does the work fine! Thanks!

Dave

Post by Dave » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:12 pm

this one. Very cheap, does what it's supposed to do and fints in the center vents.

2018-12-10 16.38.57.jpg

Toyota C-HR C-HIC Hybrid | Night Sky Black | Premium Pack | 6.2l/100 km

Dr_Michael

Post by Dr_Michael » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:17 pm

PJPLONDON wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:10 pm
This is my new favourite!!! Got fed up with phones falling off the other ones!
2018_0725_20132000.jpg

Been on my dash for six months now without a problem or any damage. Best £10 I've spent!
Did it hurt the leather? Any visible damage or mark?

Overexposed

Post by Overexposed » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:10 am

I just purchased a similar one and it seems fine. The only disadvantage is that the steering wheel hides a small part of the bottom of the phone screen. But it does the work fine! Thanks!
You could fix the steering wheel position slightly down if that’s not a problem for you

kelvin66

Post by kelvin66 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:47 am

I made my own bracket using a steel 1" 90 deg bracket and parts from an old suction cup mobile phone holder.

Cut 1/2" of the bracket and bend it as shown in the photo. Put black PVC tape on one side to make it look better.

Cut and attach the ball from the old mount and use a screw to fix it to the steel bracket. I drilled the ball and used a self tapping screw.

Slide the bracket into the gap between the car's (grey or blue) displays frame and its mounting and position it as in the photo. Start from the mid position and work it down gently to as far down as it will go. It will stay in place without any glue, etc.

Next route a 3m long charging cable from the center consul up behind the steering wheel cover so that the phone can be charged whilst in use.

This make a holder that has a perfect position for Android Auto or Hybrid Assistant, etc. It doesn't get in the way of any air vents, buttons or the steering wheel...

Mobile phone holder 1.jpg

Holder in use

Mobile phone holder 2.jpg

Parts used to make holder

Mobile phone holder 3.jpg

Detail of bracket

Mobile phone holder 4.jpg

Without phone in place
Dynamic Hybrid in Decumar Grey.

Return to “Main Toyota C-HR chat”