MPG - for those of you who have the Hybrid

All Toyota C-HR related discussions
Gregoriou

Re: MPG - for those of you who have the Hybrid

Post by Gregoriou » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:05 pm

The only reason I did not was I forgot that it re-sets automatically after refuelling and as I went straight onto the pump just got out and refilled. :oops:
nice :)
My fuel consumption going to the coast was around the 64mpg mark and managed 68 on the return with plenty of hills in the Horncastle and Alford areas. Your fuel consumption may well depend on the type of roads or variation of speed as well as stop and start situations and of course the speeds you drive at.
that is very good! I find it does depend on the roads and the way you drive. the less you press on the accelerator as well as using EV mode as much as possible.

I find on the high way using the cruise control helps and I am told it should not help, but the MPG is constantly going up and down and driving so carefully made it to 64MPG tops, but I am happy to see you and others achieving more :)
To have reached the mpg I achieved was mainly due to driving at between 50 - 55mph, I usually accelerate keeping into eco mode but when traffic is behind I only accelerate in the first half of the power band and as soon as reaching my target speed activate cruise control if road conditions allow. Once up to speed be it in built up areas or rural I very quickly release the accelerator then re-apply with very little pressure, this usually ensures that I am able to keep running on battery where able.
on the motor ways in cyprus the speed limit is officially 60MPH but the police dont strop you if you are going up to 70. I stick at around 63 on cruise control, but do use EV mode as much as possible and keep trying to keep the blue bar full :D
I have take the car up to 60mph but only for short periods as my main aim is for fuel economy.
Yes it is, otherwise I would have gotten another mercedes lol... my hybrid c class would get 30mpg :D but it had 300 horse power.
I will be taking a very long drive on motorways later this month, the outbound journey will most probably be lower fuel consumption than the return as it has been on previous vehicles but my speed will be up to 65 - 70 mph and I expect to see a drop in mpg.

if the roads are good it might not go down so much. For example on the way to another city I drive there are lots of steep roads and the car is constantly going "down hill", so on the way the MPG goes up. The roads are not straight at all here.

drabisan

Post by drabisan » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:52 pm

This topic frustrates me even more this world doesn't want to agree on one measurement!

Last week I had to rent a Jetta in California. 200 miles later it was showing 22.7mpg. I grew up with l and km. Can't easily transform it. But it sounds super bad!
And it sounds so good to know my CHR does at best 4.9/100km and at worst 5.5!

Karmalakas

Post by Karmalakas » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:01 pm

drabisan wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:52 pm
I grew up with l and km. Can't easily transform it.
And there's imperial and US gallons, which converts differently to liters.
HSD in Earth Bronze (a.k.a. Havana Brown)

nigelhj

Post by nigelhj » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:07 pm

it took a lot of effort to get mine to 64 and the advertised MPG on the hybrid is 74MPG.
Hi Gregoriou, from your previous post I would not worry about getting 64mpg even though you wrote' it took a lot of effort'!! :lol:

The problem with advertised mpg from the manufacturer is that their results are done under strict WLTP Test conditions, another words on a road rolling machine and to my mind does not in any was compare to that of actually driving on the roads for real.

https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/new-wltp ... ons-rules/

For instance my previous car was a Nissan Qashqai 1.5 manual diesel, the advertised fuel consumption for that when I took delivery was 74mpg.

My actual fuel consumption was between 50 - 55mpg with long trips averaging 60 - 70mpg driving at between 60 - 70mph on motorways and although the test figures were done before WLTP came into force. Now under the new tests they state that the average fuel economy is rated at 74.3mpg. Surprisingly no difference between the old test and the new WLTP one then!! :roll:

Since refuelling my C-HR and that the weather has been a lot cooler, my fuel consumption has dropped significantly to 62mpg :oops: If I can maintain high end 50 to mid 60 mpg I will still be very happy.

Regards
Nigel.
Dynamic Hybrid in Nebula Blue with Black Roof

Gregoriou

Post by Gregoriou » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:02 pm

drabisan wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:52 pm
This topic frustrates me even more this world doesn't want to agree on one measurement!

Last week I had to rent a Jetta in California. 200 miles later it was showing 22.7mpg. I grew up with l and km. Can't easily transform it. But it sounds super bad!
And it sounds so good to know my CHR does at best 4.9/100km and at worst 5.5!
Having lived in the UK and Cyprus I find some measurements better. like weight I like KG, and then fuel economy I like Miles per GALLON more. I dont use KM, but on the motor way I am using KM lol.

You can change the miles per gallon to KM in the car settings. mine was officially KM and I changed it to MPG

Hi Gregoriou, from your previous post I would not worry about getting 64mpg even though you wrote' it took a lot of effort'!! :lol:
I felt like it took a lot of effort to get to 64MPG because I drive really slow and even lorries are overtaking me and trying to keep the blue bar full. Maybe I am not driving ass well as I thought lol
The problem with advertised mpg from the manufacturer is that their results are done under strict WLTP Test conditions, another words on a road rolling machine and to my mind does not in any was compare to that of actually driving on the roads for real.
yes, my mercedes hybrid had an advertised 124MPG and the realistic MPG was more like 30 lol so with the hybrid toyota I am surprised I am getting so close to the advertised amount of MPG.
https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/new-wltp ... ons-rules/

For instance my previous car was a Nissan Qashqai 1.5 manual diesel, the advertised fuel consumption for that when I took delivery was 74mpg.

My actual fuel consumption was between 50 - 55mpg with long trips averaging 60 - 70mpg driving at between 60 - 70mph on motorways and although the test figures were done before WLTP came into force. Now under the new tests they state that the average fuel economy is rated at 74.3mpg. Surprisingly no difference between the old test and the new WLTP one then!! :roll:
Exactly. which is why there is no way ppl get 99mpg :P

I have had that screen on my CHRT and mercedes. I don't know what it is showing tbh.

There are so many factors to take into consideration with the MPG, like winds and how straight the roads are. in cyprus it is like they constantly go up and down hill so the MPG constantly goes up and down depending where I drive to.
Since refuelling my C-HR and that the weather has been a lot cooler, my fuel consumption has dropped significantly to 62mpg :oops: If I can maintain high end 50 to mid 60 mpg I will still be very happy.
When I got my car I was expecting 50MPG and thinking I would be very happy with it, but now I try push as much as I can out of it lol

When I was filling with 95 petrol I was getting about 55MPG and then I tried 98 and it suddenly went up. Maybe it is a placebo effect, but ever since then I fill with 98 and thats it.

nigelhj

Post by nigelhj » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:34 pm

All I can add to getting better mpg is that if driving a petrol - diesel engine car with gears is that for best fuel economy accelerate normally to your target speed missing out some gears i.e. 2nd to 4th or 3rd to 5th then sixth gear then back off the throttle. Those with manual gears who accelerate slowly are actually using more fuel to get to speed than if accelerating and by that, you don't need to do it hard.

Much in the same way you can achieve fuel economy in the hybrid by accelerating reasonably whereby the engine and battery are working together keeping the tachometer at no more than the 12 o' clock position just before the power band. If accelerating just using the battery is the preferred and better option but it may cause problems from impatient motorists behind you, in certain cases use the first half of the power band if need be but try to avoid using the second half as that will certainly use more fuel. Once up to speed then take your foot off the accelerator and immediately back on and use very little pressure to maintain the car just on battery power if on level roads. The ideal speed I find for fuel economy is at 55mph on single carriageways though 50mph would be better but then can be annoying to following vehicles. Though some may disagree with me on this.

One problem that you seem to be faced with is being in Cyprus with all those flaming hills, maybe adding a rubber band may be the answer!! :lol:

Regards
Nigel.
Dynamic Hybrid in Nebula Blue with Black Roof

Tobor

Post by Tobor » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:51 pm

I average 63 MPG

Gregoriou

Post by Gregoriou » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:18 pm

nigelhj wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:34 pm
All I can add to getting better mpg is that if driving a petrol - diesel engine car with gears is that for best fuel economy accelerate normally to your target speed missing out some gears i.e. 2nd to 4th or 3rd to 5th then sixth gear then back off the throttle. Those with manual gears who accelerate slowly are actually using more fuel to get to speed than if accelerating and by that, you don't need to do it hard.

Much in the same way you can achieve fuel economy in the hybrid by accelerating reasonably whereby the engine and battery are working together keeping the tachometer at no more than the 12 o' clock position just before the power band. If accelerating just using the battery is the preferred and better option but it may cause problems from impatient motorists behind you, in certain cases use the first half of the power band if need be but try to avoid using the second half as that will certainly use more fuel. Once up to speed then take your foot off the accelerator and immediately back on and use very little pressure to maintain the car just on battery power if on level roads. The ideal speed I find for fuel economy is at 55mph on single carriageways though 50mph would be better but then can be annoying to following vehicles. Though some may disagree with me on this.

One problem that you seem to be faced with is being in Cyprus with all those flaming hills, maybe adding a rubber band may be the answer!! :lol:

Regards
Nigel.

I asked for a manual but the dealership here told me they don't bring any manual cars to Cyprus so I have an automatic and I would never buy a diesel car, but there are not many straight roads where I am.

When i got the car I had watched many youtube videos to see what MPG I would get roughly. I had found so many videos. I found a video of Americans who claimed it would get 30MPG and another with a British couple saying if you drive like "a normal person" you get 50MPG, so I was kind of expecting 50MPG

I am very happy with the average of 62 I am getting now

MacTky

Post by MacTky » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:45 pm

In the USA their CHR has a 2ltr engine and no hybrid plus their mile is different from an imperial mile. Hence a much lower mpg is shown than with the 1.8 hybrid. In the UK we have the 1.8 hybrid automatic. We can also purchase the 1.2 with manual gears. Also the same with 4wd. But you will not achieve the higher mpg than is possible with the 1.8 hybrid automatic.

Gregoriou

Post by Gregoriou » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:39 pm

MacTky wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:45 pm
In the USA their CHR has a 2ltr engine and no hybrid plus their mile is different from an imperial mile. Hence a much lower mpg is shown than with the 1.8 hybrid. In the UK we have the 1.8 hybrid automatic. We can also purchase the 1.2 with manual gears. Also the same with 4wd. But you will not achieve the higher mpg than is possible with the 1.8 hybrid automatic.
I thought it was something like that, but I did not take note that there is no hybrid in america.

I have 1.8 ltr but wish we would have the 2.0 as well and the apple car play the american version gets.. We dont have 4WD as an option either.

I dont know if in other countries like the UK if they offer manuals, but I learnt on a manual and did not drive an automatic until many years after I got my license.

From what I have noticed you cannot get the automatic stop and go cruise control on a manual car any more though. Not sure I could live without that. At least with my merc I could not and they stopped doing it on the BMW's

Return to “Main Toyota C-HR chat”