Toyota C-HR Forum banner

Keyless fob distance from car not work ?

11K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  Karmalakas 
#1 ·
What is the distance from car when the keyless fob will not work ? I'm moving to bungalow in a month and car will be 8 feet from my front door so will get a faraday box or switch fob off

#2 ·
I am not sure of the figures, but I am not sure you are asking the right question.
The car can detect quite accurately where your key is so as soon you step away from the car the keyless entry wont allow the door to be opened.
However, the issue with security of the keyless system is that an attacker can bring along a device that can pick up the signal from your key and relay that to a second device near the car that can "dupe" the car into thinking that the key is adjacent to the car. So the concern you should have is how close an attacker can get to your key (not to your car) when you are inside the house with the car parked outside.

#4 ·
Yes I see that Alex but my fob was just 6 feet away could someone open the door touching the door handle lines without a device ?
The easy solution to that is to turn the key off on the fob, takes 2 seconds and disables the key. Hold down the lock button on the key fob and while holding it down, press the unlock button twice quickly, then release the lock button. The light on the fob should flash four times to confirm it's done. Test it for yourself turn off the key as above then put the key in you pocket and put your hand on the car door handle it shouldn't unlock.

#5 ·
Countryside said:
Yes I see that Alex but my fob was just 6 feet away could someone open the door touching the door handle lines without a device ?
From the manual:

■ Effective range (areas within which the electronic key is detected)
When locking or unlocking the doors (vehicles with an entry function)
The system can be operated when the electronic key is within about 0.7 m (2.3 ft.) of an outside front door handle and the back door. (Only the doors detecting the key can be operated.)

So the answer to your question is "no".

#7 ·
■ Effective range (areas within which the electronic key is detected)
When locking or unlocking the doors (vehicles with an entry function)
The system can be operated when the electronic key is within about 0.7 m (2.3 ft.) of an outside front door handle and the back door. (Only the doors detecting the key can be operated.)

So the answer to your question is "no".
Without being alarmist, one of the problems with this type of key is that thieves are using relays to transmit the signal from the key to the car via one of the gang so this negates the effective range. Best practice is to disable the key so quick and just press the unlock key to bring it back to life

#10 ·
Any metal box or pouch will decrease the signal strenth.
So storing your keyfob in microwave, dishwasher of washing machine will work.

#12 ·
Thats good. Because your wife need to see the keyfob and take it out before using the washing machine. :lol: :lol:

Just use keyfob pouch or metal can if you want to decrease the signal.
Or switch the keyfob off to be sure there is no signal.

#13 ·
Before I realised you could turn the key off, I lined a metal tin with foil and put the key in the tin. However when I tested it by having the key in the tin and the tin in my pocket I could still unlock the cat. I then found you could turn the key off and tested that, with the key turned off and in my pocket I couldn't unlock the car, so for me it's no contest, I turn the key off, it takes 2 seconds job done

#19 ·
ColinB said:
Personally I keep my keys in a Faraday pouch at home to prevent the relay theft risk. I don't want to disable the touch function as I do use that all the time, although I agree that it is a valid alternative.
Colin
By disabling the key signal ( not the car ), it helps protect. First time after though, you'd need to press fob button to open car, then from that point, you're keyless until you disable fob signal again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.