Toyota C-HR Forum banner

JBL Navigation

17K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Walt 
#1 ·
Just collected CHR orange edition with JBL Navigation.
There is a problem with the Navigation in that it cannot display the current road speed limit. In the menu the option to switch on is greyed out.
The dealer has the same problem.
I spoke with Toyota UK customer service today and was told by two people that this was deliberate as the navigation system was not accurate enough!!!
I have had this function on every satnav i have owned and i rely on it when travelling on unfamiliar roads.
Not a happy bunny.

#2 ·
I think I read somewhere that they had combined it with the speed limit indicator on the mini screen between the dials, although I am not sure which measure takes priority as both can be wrong. Some people complained about there being 2 speed limit indicators that sometimes disagree. As a result I think what they now have is going to be worse.

#3 ·
Think the one between the dials only shows from camera, don't know why they can't activate the other one and let you decide.

#4 ·
smartly said:
Think the one between the dials only shows from camera, don't know why they can't activate the other one and let you decide.
That is certainly true for your car (2018 model) and mine (2017), but I was talking about the new 2020 model.

#6 ·
Reply from Toyota:
"I'm hoping I can dispel some of the misinformation surrounding your issue, we have removed the functionality to see the road speed limit on the navigation screen in favour of our Road Sign Alert system, as we feel this is a more accurate and adaptable system. This is also the reason why the option is 'greyed' out in the settings menu. Unfortunately, this feature cannot be reactivated, and is a feature no longer available on our newer models".
My Reply:
"You need accurate information: anybody who has used Road Sign Assistance will confirm it is the most unreliable system on the car as it will read speed signs not relevant to the road you are driving on.
All other navigation systems display the current road speed limit - simply because it is needed. The previous Touch and Go system had this feature".

#7 ·
Good luck with them changing this positively. Happy I have the 2018 model.

#8 ·
I agree with the speed limit from the camera being wrong sometimes, mine has a habit of picking up a limit from a side road and showing 20 in a 30 limit, or NSL in a 30. It makes me wonder how a fully automatic self drive will work the limit of, my TomTom satnav used to think someone that I was on a service road alongside a dual carriageway and say the limit was 30.

#9 ·
I collected my Excel with JBL just under 3 weeks ago and searched for the setting and as reported found it was greyed out. Not helpful. If the mini display can show the speed limit for a road then surely the main navigation display can and should? One may have other information displayed on the mini screen. Even better would be the main screen showing the speed limit and also current speed as Tom Tom does on my iPhone. Comparing the speed shown in Tom Tom with what the car says I am doing it is close at 30 mph but at 60 mph Tom Tom shows I am doing 55 mph. This is consistent with what I have found in other cars. The speedometer in the car I am advised is deliberately over calibrated. I once made enquires about which is the most accurate and was advised the Sat Nav was, ie GPS.

#10 ·
I think what toyota are trying to say is because the center display displays the speed the camera had read on the sign you have just past is more correct. As in if you are going through road works and they have put a temporary say 30mph instead of the 60mph it normally is. Then the cars camera would pick this up and display it. But if you are going by sat nav screen. Then it would still say your on a 60mph road. So if you miss or didn't see the 30mph sign. Hopefully the car has and saves you a speed fine.lol. yeah car not always right. Told me I was on a motorway speed limit when actually I was in a 30mph zone. In reality use your eyes and turn both off. Shouldn't need either

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.