Toyota C-HR Forum banner

12v Battery troubles

21K views 29 replies 18 participants last post by  peteowen37 
#1 ·
Hi, I'd welcome any comments on a problem with my 12v battery <2017 CH-R 1.8 hybrid Dynamic>. Early this summer I found that the battery was going flat if the car sat unused for 3-4 days (I work away a lot). Mr T had a good look at the battery in July (by which time I was fearful of parking anywhere I couldn't get jump leads to) and declared it fully fit. I don't do a lot of miles and appreciate that the battery may not be receiving a full charge on my regular short journeys (I'm blessed with a pleasant 4 mile trip to work), so I started doing weekend runs of 50 miles plus purely to charge the battery (not very green and I'm not happy doing it, not least the time and fuel that it wastes). So I am looking to see if others can suggest ways of over-coming the problem as today the car has come back from Mr T after spending 4 days in his garage for checks and he still declared the battery fully fit and nothing more can be done.
Can I upgrade to a better battery that can hold a greater charge; is there some sort of trickle charger that an be easily hooked up when I park the car up, is there something blindingly obvious that I am missing?

#5 ·
When mine didn't start after 3 weeks parked up it was suggested the sat nav should be disconnected. Most of my journeys are also 4 miles and a comment was made that I didn't do enough miles. My husband has a trickle charger which he uses occasionally on his Merc when the stop/start stops working because he also doesn't do many miles. Toyota wouldn't replace my battery they said it was fine

#6 ·
Had issue with mine going flat after 3 days of not being used. Took it bk to dealer. They changed battery as after testing couldn't find any power leakage. So nothing draining battery. Since they replaced battery. Left in airport car park for 11 days and started 1st push of button. They said they had issues with gt86 batteries and all had to be upgraded. So get dealer to replace battery.

#7 ·
GT86 did have very well known battery issues (got me stranded...) but is that the same as in a C-HR ? , since they knew about the weakness years ago ... They should not be still using the same wonky battery

#9 ·
Hi, I bought my CH-R brand new 16 months ago, since then I have broken down four times all with a flat, completely dead battery. I have had three new batteries put on and still the problem exists. On a brand new car of this age your dont expect to keep breaking down. Surely Toyota can supply reliable batteries as this problem makes the CH-R seem totally unreliable. I'd like to hear any others with the same issue.

#10 ·
Got my car 6 months ago. Drive it far less than expected (change of jobs...) so it now stands for a week quite often. Not a single issue, starts every time. No alarm system though That was sometimes the cause on the GT86 in the UK..

#11 ·
As i started this thread, I thought I should give an update especially for those suffering similar problems. Despite Mr T's assurances that there was not a problem with the battery after their extensive tests over 4 days and they told me that there was no other alternative battery available and they would not replace a "good" battery. I was so sure it was a problem with the battery itself I decided to enquire at the local tyre and exhaust garage on my way home from Toyota. The garage immediately found a higher rated battery (54AH in lieu of the 45AH) as recommended by Toyota according to their research and this replacement battery has solved all my woes. I have not changed anything else or altered any other settings in the car and I now love my car again.

#13 ·
My vehicle has just had its first service, we went on holiday and on return battery completely flat. 44 years of driving first time using a breakdown company. Interesting!! My concern , is it a common problem ? What causes it and any remedies ? . Shame as I liked the car in its first year. Toyota dealer has said battery ok?

#14 ·
My car went in today for it's first service at just over 2500 miles. Battery failed test so replaced like for like under warranty. As the 12V battery failed the couldn't do the hybrid battery test so I need to take the car back in 500 miles.

#15 ·
My CH-R hybrid has been standing for a week or so, so I thought I would give it a run.
I managed to get in but it was as dead as a dodo, wouldn't do anything.
I checked the 12 V battery and it was down at 6 Volts so it was a flat battery.
I have put it on trickle charge but I cannot get the lights to go off. How the heck will it charge with the lights on ??
Would a fast charge be better ? Always a bit unsure of a fast charge with it connected.

#16 ·
Mine was flat after coming back from holiday, breakdown just jumped it and then took it to main dealers to check. Have been told not to leave which is a nuisance when you have holidays.!! This has put a friend off from purchasing one, Only idea that has been put forward is next time get a solar panel trickle charger ! The dealer said no problems found after checking and recharging which took three days. Battery was so flat would not open doors.

#18 ·
Same here. Nearly 3 weeks in wet cold weather.
At first I tried to open it by grabbing the handle, like usual. It didn't open. I was like s..t!
Then I realized key was in the backpack and between key and the car there was a laptop, a tablet, all my photo gear. I took the backpack off my back, turn it so hey will face the car, grab the handle and all good!
It is a bit weird we have a large battery under the back seat but we also need a 12v battery. I bet it's possible if they will want to combine it.
Another idea: some sort of protection for 12v battery. If voltage drops below a level, turn off all consumers. Insurance may not like that at all. But for users it's a far better experience than running out of juice.

#19 ·
Because its just a small battery and only used for starting up the computer systems.. it can be drained by a alarm system.
Some UK models have alarm system as standard??

If 12v battery is low or empty.. just a jumpstart will be enough. If you use a charger, just connect it and dont start the car for a while.
As long as all the systems start up (READY-light comes up), the Hybrid battery will recharge your 12v battery again.
The C-HR hybrid does not have a alternator to charge but it will also take some drivingtime to get it fully charged again.

#20 ·
I had another flat battery problem on Friday with my hybrid, it wouldn't start and when I measured the battery it was 7.5 volts.
I rang Toyota Leeds and they said they would order a new battery but no deliveries until Saturday.
I called Britannia my breakdown service who came out and started it on the drive with a battery pack. I then took it in to Toyota, Leeds, and left it with them.
Picked it up this morning with a new battery fitted under warranty.
Great service from Toyota.
When I had similar problems with my previous motor which was a GT86, they wouldn't fit a new one under warranty so I had an upgraded one fitted myself which resolved the problem.

That's two brand new Toyota cars I have had and both had battery problems !!

#21 ·
The gt86 had a known battery issue on release. They replaced them with an upgraded battery under warranty. My son in law has 1

#23 ·
Anybody tried to fit a bigger capacity battery in a 2020 2 litre Orange Edition? Love the car but with lockdown battery goes flat after 10 days, had three call outs and dealer tested supposedly ok. Said a booster start pack was only option but surely must be possible to fit something bigger!!

#24 ·
Terryev74 said:
Anybody tried to fit a bigger capacity battery in a 2020 2 litre Orange Edition? Love the car but with lockdown battery goes flat after 10 days, had three call outs and dealer tested supposedly ok. Said a booster start pack was only option but surely must be possible to fit something bigger!!
Flat after 10 days! that is terrible..You need to get that sorted with Toyota.

#25 ·
Battery on my 19 plate CHR has gone flat twice. First after 4 weeks of no use so generally try to get out at least one every 2 weeks.
Latest failure flat battery but had taken car out on a decent run 2 weeks ago. Currently with dealer so waiting on verdict.
Batteries should not run flat lik ethis on a modern car and by the way no courtesy lights etc. left on.

#26 ·
Yes mine went flat after parking for 3 days, plus fault lights did not reset after 2 restarting engine and running the car for 6 miles. MARSHALS toyota said battery was ok, but carry a solar charger and an OB2 tester to put fault lights out. ITS NOT A JOKE read Trustpilot review.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.