Toyota C-HR Forum banner

The Never Ending Roaring Noise of my CHR

62K views 81 replies 20 participants last post by  Skip24ftlb 
#1 ·
My car is weird. It's a Dec 2017 Model and is supposed to be up to date and should not have the mirror issue which causes some wind noise in some CHR's. But my car has wind noise and tire noise which is driving me crazy. Toyota tells me it's normal and basically "that's just the way it is," which is also frustrating. After owning the car for 4 weeks I am losing my love for it and starting to hate it. :oops: :( It makes it worse knowing that some CHR owners don't have this issue, which means mine must be defective.

My remorse grew this week even more because I had all the doors, floor panels, and trunk (boot) soundproofed with professional material and it didn't make as much of a difference as I had hoped. In fact, other than eliminating wind noise from the rear doors (which is good) the soundproofing otherwise seems like a non-factor. I had extremely high expectations for the soundproofing experiment, so needless to say that's a bit of a bummer.

I'm starting to think the wind noise and constant roar in the car while on the autobahn is really just the way it is and cannot be repaired. I've only had the car 4 weeks and don't know what to do.

Just venting. :?

Please don't rub it in if you don't have any noises lol :roll:

See less See more
#52 ·
WoW you are one brave dude! I don't have it in me to do that. Let me know how it goes for you.

By the way, I did discover the wind noise is mostly coming from the mirrors. Funny thing, I drove with my window open today for the first time and once I hit 70km/h it became very clear it was the mirror and the faster I drove the louder it got. I was able to stop it by closing the mirrors while driving, once the mirror raises itself to fold in, the wind noise stopped for a second until it completely folded in. I repeated the test a dozen times. The only reason it can be heard when the windows are closed is that it's actually very loud and such loudness makes its way inside.

#53 ·
I got the feeling the engine noise is a bit down again. Making the mirror wind noise a bit more apparent.

Tomorrow I will stick masking tape from the mirror plastic on the door towards the drivers windscreen. To see if a slope helps reducing the wind noise. Now it is a 90 degree step.

I also want to try to close the gaps between the glass and mirror housing. First with tape for testing.

I liked your findings that you can still hear the noise with the window down. Might make testing and pinpointing easier.

I will report back ;)

#54 ·
BryanCHR said:
I was able to stop it by closing the mirrors while driving, once the mirror raises itself to fold in, the wind noise stopped for a second until it completely folded in.
Is the noise louder when the mirrors are completely folded?
In my car the noise is way louder when completely folded. When the mirrors are folded a few degrees the noise is lesser for a brief moment.

#55 ·
Yes, the noise is much louder when the mirrors are completely folded in. When you watch the mirror fold in you will see it rise up out of the gap and then close, the moment it rises up is when the wind noise stops for just a couple seconds and then when folded completely in it comes back. It's very fast, but it does stop for a couple seconds. So this tells me it's the mirror causing a lot of the sound.

Also, my tire noise is mostly because of the all-weather run on flats. Unfortunately, there are no regular all-weather tires in the size for this car. :( At least, not yet that I know of. Run on flats are very loud, I had them on my previous car and when I switched to regular tires the road noise went away.

#82 ·
The Michelin climate control 2 are not bad noise wise.. all season tire.
As for run flats, there is a far better option.
Continental have a self sealing tire. It has a gel type insert in the carcass and self seals when you get a puncture. My Passat alltrack had these fitted. They are very good.

#56 ·
BryanCHR said:
Yes, the noise is much louder when the mirrors are completely folded in. When you watch the mirror fold in you will see it rise up out of the gap and then close, the moment it rises up is when the wind noise stops for just a couple seconds and then when folded completely in it comes back. It's very fast, but it does stop for a couple seconds. So this tells me it's the mirror causing a lot of the sound.

Also, my tire noise is mostly because of the all-weather run on flats. Unfortunately, there are no regular all-weather tires in the size for this car. :( At least, not yet that I know of. Run on flats are very loud, I had them on my previous car and when I switched to regular tires the road noise went away.
You think it is the run-flats that are causing the noise or the fact that they are all-weather? The Run-flat system just supports the sidewall of the tire so i wouldn't expect this to cause more noise, just additional weight and stiffness. The all-weather tires on the other hand have a different thread design and tire compound. This definitely makes them noisier. What tire are you using? You should be able to find the decibel rating on the internet and compare it with the OEM summer tyre.

#57 ·
Good idea. But I do think it's the ROF only because of my previous experience with them (also all weather) and how dramatically it changed when I went to normal tires which were all weathers. But, alas, it might not matter because CHR only has ROF for this car in all weather. I might try normal summer and winter tires if non ROF are available. haven't checked that yet.

#58 ·
Check out this link: https://blog.tirerack.com/blog/ethans-tire-and-wheel-news/quiet-please

"Tires that excel in the snow are those that will have a more agressive tread. These tires will provide a more confident winter drive and will likely have a slightly louder hum on the highway in the summer. "

"But what IS the quietest tire? A racing slick. No tread blocks, no noise. no snow traction. "

#59 ·
dim_theo said:
Check out this link: https://blog.tirerack.com/blog/ethans-tire-and-wheel-news/quiet-please

"Tires that excel in the snow are those that will have a more agressive tread. These tires will provide a more confident winter drive and will likely have a slightly louder hum on the highway in the summer. "

"But what IS the quietest tire? A racing slick. No tread blocks, no noise. no snow traction. "
AutoExpress did a recent survey on tyres for 2017/18. They tested them in wet & dry conditions, for cabin noise, fuel economy, and price.

Continental ContiPremiumContact 5 came 1st, Dunlop Sport BluResponse 2nd, Bridgestone Turanza T001 3rd. Interestingly - No Michelin tyres made the top 11.

Goodyear were the quietest followed by Bridgestone then Kumho.

Full article: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/91856/tyre-reviews-best-car-tyres

#60 ·
Tyres on mine are Michelin primacy 3.
C rated for fuel.
A rated for wet weather
And 69 db for road noise.
1 of the quieter tyres.
I've been up to around 80mph.
Only tyre noise from goad surface no wind noise.

Attachments

#61 ·
Just keep in mind that the tests reported by manufacturers are based on a drive by while auto express measured cabin noise. So dont trust what is advertised on websites that sell tires like the above. I also dont agree that slick racing tires make no noise as they are very noisy but the tire itself is only one parameter. There is also the alignment that affects tire wear hence noise.

#62 ·
The Primacy3 tire is for sure no silent tire. My Michelin Alpin5 wintertires do not make so much noise as the Primacy3!!

Also there is not much of isolation in the boot. There are some small patches on the metal but thats it.
Took a picture of it when all was pulled out. I am almost sure some isolation will help to block noise.

#64 ·
DutCHR, I completely soundproofed my boot, also the wheel wells, and although it helps, it's not as much as I had hoped.

Mjvdzwet, I taped up my mirror joint and it did help, but there's so much other wind noise that it's hard to pinpoint exactly where it is all coming from. Take a look inside your door, where it opens between the car and you will see there are openings from the engine where air flows through the crack of the door and back out of the car. I think this causes some of the noise too. I attached a photo of between the door and car.

Attachments

#65 ·
bryanchr, I already added extra rubbers in that area. My car is quite silent right now. Only some outside wind noise. It varies with crosswinds. If there is no crosswind it is okay.

Furthermore the Michelin tyres are noisy.
But have to live with that.

#67 ·
BryanCHR said:
I wonder if I can safely put soundproofing material over that area between the door and car in the picture. Not sure if that's a port for hot air to escape the engine area. I'll have to ask Toyota.
As far as I can see it is no problem. Inside the engine compartment is a block of rubber and a rubber flap.

#68 ·
BryanCHR said:
DutCHR, I completely soundproofed my boot, also the wheel wells, and although it helps, it's not as much as I had hoped.

Mjvdzwet, I taped up my mirror joint and it did help, but there's so much other wind noise that it's hard to pinpoint exactly where it is all coming from. Take a look inside your door, where it opens between the car and you will see there are openings from the engine where air flows through the crack of the door and back out of the car. I think this causes some of the noise too. I attached a photo of between the door and car.
Strange, I do not have any openings there. It is closed with plastic pieces.

#69 ·
#70 ·
Has anyone tried the windbreakers for the windows from Toyota that can be attached to the front and back windows? They're designed so you can open the window a little when it's raining. I wonder if they help any with the wind noise. I purchased some 3rd party windbreakers that actually attach inside the window seals and they made the wind noise worse, so I'm wondering about the ones that glue to the outside.

#71 ·
I had wind deflectors fitted by toyota. Not sure what noise people are going on about as I've drove mine down motorways etc, only real noise is road noise. Not excessive wind noise.

#72 ·
mjvdzwet said:
bryanchr, I already added extra rubbers in that area. My car is quite silent right now. Only some outside wind noise. It varies with crosswinds. If there is no crosswind it is okay.

Furthermore the Michelin tyres are noisy.
But have to live with that.
Can you take pictures of the isolation you did on the airflow on te door? I think you should make a whole post with all the mods you did regarding insulation it would be highly helpful.

Thank you!

#73 ·
TheMasahiro said:
Can you take pictures of the isolation you did on the airflow on te door? I think you should make a whole post with all the mods you did regarding insulation it would be highly helpful.

Thank you!
On page 2 of this thread you can find my pictures of the places i've added rubbers to.

#75 ·
When I first got the car, September '18 . I had the most annoying of whistles coming from the drivers mirror area , didn't matter at what speed and was still very noticeable even with the window closed.
What I done was cut a small piece of credit card thickness (not too thick) plastic cut to shape and attached some 3m double-sided tape and placed it where the mirror rotates open/closed in the recess. Sound of silence !.
As for the roaring noise , I've never encountered that. Hope that helps somebody out there .

#76 ·
Rockstar565 said:
When I first got the car, September '18 . I had the most annoying of whistles coming from the drivers mirror area , didn't matter at what speed and was still very noticeable even with the window closed.
What I done was cut a small piece of credit card thickness (not too thick) plastic cut to shape and attached some 3m double-sided tape and placed it where the mirror rotates open/closed in the recess. Sound of silence !.
As for the roaring noise , I've never encountered that. Hope that helps somebody out there .
Could you take some pictures of the result?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.