Toyota C-HR Forum banner

2 year old service - recommended extras

15K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  Smuddell 
#1 ·
Hi all,

My C-HR is 2 years old this month, so had it's second service this week. Service was all fine with no issues, but with the following recommendations :

1) Air con service @ £199
2) Fuel system cleaner @ £20

Is this just my dealer trying to un-necessarily squeeze more money out of me, or are either of these essential?

Just interested to know what others would do if in the same situation, don't want to pay that much if not necessary!

#2 ·
Mine is 2 years old this month too and just booked service for later this month.
I hope they dont come up with this "try-on" with me.
My inclination would be to say yes to £20 job ( given that it might affect fuel quality and engine performance) and no to £199 and I will wait till the ac starts to fail.
I can't check right now but I bet neither of them is in the service schedule booklet.

#3 ·
I had my air con (serviced?), pressure tested, drained, refilled plus anti-bac treatment at ATS for £40 in October, that was on my jag that at 800g probably uses twice as much gas and lubricant as my C-HR

Personally If you use your air-con a service isn't really required until the 4yr mark, all IMO.

Did they change your keyfob batteries, read somewhere that they do this on the 2yr service?

#4 ·
my car has to go into Eastbourne Toyota soon (2 year service) so will wait and see if they say the same to me and will let them know they are taking the p. my friend has a garage and only charges £45 for a complete refill and clean of aircon system ,
i wouldnt let the do anything other than the service

#5 ·
Hi Guys,
I was offered the same at mine and Ans local dealer and even the service guy said for the mileage you've done there is no point doing it :D

#6 ·
MarkyMUK said:
I had my air con (serviced?), pressure tested, drained, refilled plus anti-bac treatment at ATS for £40 in October, that was on my jag that at 800g probably uses twice as much gas and lubricant as my C-HR

Personally If you use your air-con a service isn't really required until the 4yr mark, all IMO.

Did they change your keyfob batteries, read somewhere that they do this on the 2yr service?
I think I will leave the air con then - it's not as if it's had a lot of use, I've just reached the 8000 mile mark after 2 years!

Re key fob batteries, I didn't realise they did this as part of the service so left my spare key at home, so they changed the battery in the key I left with them, and gave me the battery for the spare.

#7 ·
ans said:
my car has to go into Eastbourne Toyota soon (2 year service) so will wait and see if they say the same to me and will let them know they are taking the p. my friend has a garage and only charges £45 for a complete refill and clean of aircon system ,
i wouldnt let the do anything other than the service
I normally find Eastbourne Toyota very good and they've never recommended anything possibly unnecessary before - times must be getting hard for the dealers, getting a bit more crafty in making their money! They weren't pushy about it though, it was just on the recommendations on the paperwork. When my previous hybrid Auris had its 2 year service they never mentioned having the air con serviced!

#8 ·
Thanks everyone, that's settled it I won't go for the air con service, especially considering my low mileage!

Has anyone actually had this fuel system cleaner on any Toyota hybrid? Have you found it improves MPG or performance?

#9 ·
Mine is 11m old.
And scheduled for first service at the end of January. Express Service as they call it here in Ireland.
But I will do asked them to replace the pollen filter and to do a check for AC. Of course I'll ask first what's included in Express Service.
I'm using AC all the time, to remove the moisture from the inside of the car. Not too many people are using it here in Ireland, I can see tons of foggy windows in other cars.
But this winter my CHR tends to be foggy'ish too so I'm not taking any chances. If they don't replace pollen filter by default, I'll ask for a replacement.

#10 ·
Smuddell said:
MarkyMUK said:

Re key fob batteries, I didn't realise they did this as part of the service so left my spare key at home, so they changed the battery in the key I left with them, and gave me the battery for the spare.
Thanks for coming back on this one, notice you've not been on the forum long/posted much but it is a useful place.

Please make sure you change your one ASAP (or you'll just loose the battery!) and report back how easy?

So for anyone taking there's for a 2nd service make sure you take both remotes! :D

#11 ·
Please make sure you change your one ASAP (or you'll just loose the battery!) and report back how easy?
I had the remote battery replaced that I gave to the service department the other remote was at homebut the dealer gave me the second battery to repalce the one I left, towards end of year the other remote battery went and I had spares to replace the battery yourself remove the hiden key within the remote dn the 2 exposed sides from the area key removed prise aprt the key and hey presto and the key is in two halves.

#12 ·
MarkyMUK said:
Smuddell said:
MarkyMUK said:

Thanks for coming back on this one, notice you've not been on the forum long/posted much but it is a useful place.

So for anyone taking there's for a 2nd service make sure you take both remotes! :D
No, I haven't really got into the habit of coming on here much yet but there does seem to be some useful things on here!

I've literally just changed the battery in the spare key, only about a two minute job - if a complete DIY dunce like me can do it then anyone can!!! Just follow the instructions on pages 561-562 in the manual!

#13 ·
Just had my 2yr service. Done in 2 hrs while I waited.
I was not offered any of these extras.
They changed my keyfob battery (and charged £3.23 for the battery) but ignored my 2nd key (which I forgot to take in). When I raised it they said I could buy another battery if I wanted to.
Otherwise quite painless( as I have a service plan - otherwise the £275 bill would not have been painless!)

#16 ·
Not checked manual, but assume from google that the C-HR keyfob takes 2032 batteries?

If so they are the same as my Jaguar and these (according to my Jag forum) are the best:

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8651406

Plus I already have 4! :D

#17 ·
Alexr said:
Just had my 2yr service. Done in 2 hrs while I waited.
I was not offered any of these extras.
They changed my keyfob battery (and charged £3.23 for the battery) but ignored my 2nd key (which I forgot to take in). When I raised it they said I could buy another battery if I wanted to.
Otherwise quite painless( as I have a service plan - otherwise the £275 bill would not have been painless!)
I'm surprised they charged you for the batteries, mine were free! Like you I have the service plan!

#19 ·
Update : over the last couple of months I've had increasing problems with the key they supposedly changed the battery in, sometimes the doors wouldn't open even though standing right by the car, and sometimes when trying to start the car the message "Key not detected" came up. I've now changed the battery, and everything is fine again!

So... at the service, either they replaced my battery with a dodgy one, or they didn't change the battery at all!

Which started me thinking..... when we do something like take a car in for a service, we trust them to do everything they say they have, but... there's nothing to stop them saying we haven't got time for this or that, I'll just tick the box anyway!

#22 ·
Dr_Michael said:
I have never replaced the battery in the key. I have already over 37000km in 2 years and already done 2 services. No problems so far.
They should replace the key battery as part of the service so it may have been done without you realising it.

#24 ·
Alexr said:
They should replace the key battery as part of the service so it may have been done without you realising it.
I'm going for second service next week and asked dealer specifically for battery replacement. They said they can replace for a price. They don't do it unless asked. Of course refused to pay their asked price - will change myself when I notice it's getting weak.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.