Toyota C-HR Forum banner

Windscreen demist function

19K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  adn1962 
#1 ·
Hi, just wanting advice really. Got in the car to go out earlier this week and it took 15 minutes and a cloth to sufficiently demist windscreen and side windows to see out of. When you press the windscreen button all that happens is it moves the fan from its current position (e.g. face/feet) to the windscreen but doesn't turn up the speed (which I'm used to from previous cars).

I've searched on here and in the manual and it seems to suggest that the windscreen button should do more than just change the fan position, however, it's been into dealers today and they have told me to put air con on (it was on!), to press windscreen button then manually hold down the fan speed button to get it to the max! Bit frustrated, can anyone advise how it works for them & if I'm wrong to expect it to automatically adjust fan speed and blast windscreen as in previous cars?

P.s. I have Jan 17 1.2T Dynamic, if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
I'm keeping mine on auto, ac on, all the time.
But you're right, pressing the button for windscreen doesn't actually turn on the fan all the way.
In my case it does the job, maybe not the fastest of all the cars I had, but good enough.
My first Toyota, like 15 years ago, was turning the fan all the way up. Unfogging was nearly instantaneous, but it was really annoying...the wind in my eyes was bad!
So I would rather prefer this way, a bit slower, but less annoying.

#5 ·
Thanks for confirming what I thought, I had air con on, pressed button, nothing happens except change of fan direction unless you manually increase fan speed and even then it takes forever! Apparently the dealer can't help further if it doesn't need demisting at the time they are looking at it, but I'm welcome to take it back if it's still a problem :roll:

#6 ·
Chasthebluechr said:
Thanks for confirming what I thought, I had air con on, pressed button, nothing happens except change of fan direction unless you manually increase fan speed and even then it takes forever! Apparently the dealer can't help further if it doesn't need demisting at the time they are looking at it, but I'm welcome to take it back if it's still a problem :roll:
and auto?

#7 ·
manual p481:
Defogging the windshield
Defoggers are used to defog the windshield and front side win-
dows.
Press .
The dehumidification function operates and fan speed increases.
Set the outside/recirculated air mode button to the outside air mode if the recirculated air mode is used. (It may switch automatically.)
To defog the windshield and the front side windows early, turn the air flow and temperature up.
To return to the previous mode, press again when the windshield is defogged.

#9 ·
Tried auto as well as air con and windscreen button - no difference!

The fan speed doesn't change unless I operate it manually, but it still took 15 minutes on full blast, didn't feel quick to me, doesn't sound right from what you're all saying, guess I'll be paying the dealers another visit after Christmas!

Thanks for your help.

#11 ·
Chas you need to take it back to the dealer. Get them to demonstrate on another car ..................

#12 ·
I have the system on auto but aircon off.
As soon as I press the windscreen demistify button. The aircon is turned on and the fan speed increases, as far as I can tell, to one step below maximum.

I don't recall it 100%, but I believe there are settings for its behavior in Techstream.

#16 ·
Front screen demist is not a heated windscreen. It relies on engine temp to defrost outside. It will take time to do this. A/C will only help clear interior of screen.

If you have major condensation inside, then you either have a leak from outside or something wet has been left inside car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.