The Never Ending Roaring Noise of my CHR

Faults and Technical chat for the Toyota C-HR
BryanCHR

The Never Ending Roaring Noise of my CHR

Post by BryanCHR » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:30 pm

My car is weird. It's a Dec 2017 Model and is supposed to be up to date and should not have the mirror issue which causes some wind noise in some CHR's. But my car has wind noise and tire noise which is driving me crazy. Toyota tells me it's normal and basically "that's just the way it is," which is also frustrating. After owning the car for 4 weeks I am losing my love for it and starting to hate it. :oops: :( It makes it worse knowing that some CHR owners don't have this issue, which means mine must be defective.

My remorse grew this week even more because I had all the doors, floor panels, and trunk (boot) soundproofed with professional material and it didn't make as much of a difference as I had hoped. In fact, other than eliminating wind noise from the rear doors (which is good) the soundproofing otherwise seems like a non-factor. I had extremely high expectations for the soundproofing experiment, so needless to say that's a bit of a bummer.

I'm starting to think the wind noise and constant roar in the car while on the autobahn is really just the way it is and cannot be repaired. I've only had the car 4 weeks and don't know what to do.

Just venting. :?

Please don't rub it in if you don't have any noises lol :roll:

Curro101

Re: The Never Ending Roaring Noise of my CHR

Post by Curro101 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:02 pm

Sorry to hear about your troubles!!

Any chance you can meet up with someone else and try their car, or go test driving new ones from different dealers to see if there's any difference from yours?

mjvdzwet

Post by mjvdzwet » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:38 pm

I also have insulated parts of the car and it does make quite a difference. About 4db. But I have also insulated the wheel arch (plastic) covers. To prevent tire noise entering the cabin.

I also think the plastic strips along the front windscreen may be a source of the noise. And the black rooflines, which have a small grove at the start of them, which may cause turbulence.

Also I think the shape of the mirrors is part of the problem.
Happy and fun driving... is driving a Toyota C-HR Hybrid Premium Metalstream Grey

Solent

Post by Solent » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:46 pm

I have a new 2018 C-HR and I don't have excessive wind noise whatsoever.

OP - have you thought about purchasing this? It may help. Who knows?!?! :

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-sti ... autifyAB=0
2018 1.2 Turbo CVT Dynamic in Nebula Blue

BryanCHR

Post by BryanCHR » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:50 pm

@mjvdzwet, how did you insulate the wheel arch covers? I'm thinking this is my next thing to try. Soundproofing has helped a little, but it has also hurt a little by making some of the wind noise more obvious, but it doesn't seem to have done much for the tire noise, so insulating the wheel arches sounds like something to try.

I saw this video about mirrors and I'm going try it as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZztO_zATLM4

Thanks for the input! Very much appreciated.

Lucky you, Solent! :) I might try the insulation strip as well. Haven't gotten that far yet, but who knows, you're right.

I did test drive another C-HR and surprisingly it seemed even worse than mine. I do wonder why some C-HR's don't seem to have any noise issues.

Watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE8pO-Ulfmc

Curro101

Post by Curro101 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:01 pm

Have you thought about installing these strips, they can be bought online from Japan for around 42€?

http://hybridlife.org/threads/toyota-c- ... eite.2921/

BryanCHR

Post by BryanCHR » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:40 pm

@Curro101, I just ordered them! I'll update when I get and install. :)

Thanks!

Curro101

Post by Curro101 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:08 pm

Glad to be (hopefully) of help!

mjvdzwet

Post by mjvdzwet » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:56 pm

I also have added extra rubber strips between the door openings and on the plastic elements on the door.
Happy and fun driving... is driving a Toyota C-HR Hybrid Premium Metalstream Grey

BryanCHR

Post by BryanCHR » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:07 am

@mjvdzwet, which plastic elements did you add strips to? Can you provide pictures? Also, please let me know how you insulated the wheel arches.

Return to “Faults & Technical”