Spotify - Stupid/Not Stupid. (me that is!)

The place to discuss everything else..
flyboy3

Spotify - Stupid/Not Stupid. (me that is!)

Post by flyboy3 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:53 pm

Just a funny/cautionary tale, not related particularly to the C-HR, but anyone using Spotify in their car.

We've had Spotify for ages on our wifi music system and between me and the other half, have never had any problems listening to different music in different rooms.

So, we've been taking the C-HR out on our own for various trips and occasionally noticed that Spotify would stop. You'd press play again and after a short bit it would stop again. After a bit, I thought I was having connectivity issues, so just swapped to the DAB.

After about the 3rd time, I mentioned it the other half when I got home, who said the same thing had been happening on the wifi music system too.

And then the penny dropped. Because we have a single user account, Spotify was only allowing the latest request to play on that device. Problem solved.

We think we can get around it a bit by downloading tracks to our mobile, then when connecting to the car, turn off the mobile data settings (ie no 4G or 5G). Obviously no calls and no traffic updates on G-maps or waze, but there is always Toyota's maps! It was never a problem when I was travelling to work underground on the tube - but that was when there was no 4G signal there. My section of the tube now does have it so another theory to test when I eventually return to going to the office.

We could upgrade to the two user account, but there aren't enough times when we're on our own justify the extra cost. Life seems to be a series of subscription services at the moment so go to keep them in check!
MY21 1.8 Metal Stream Excel JBL with Chrome Protection

vodamark

Re: Spotify - Stupid/Not Stupid. (me that is!)

Post by vodamark » Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:27 am

Yeah, I discovered this with my wife, but not with the car, but with a smart speaker we have at home. I was outside listening to music and my wife was at home playing it on a speaker. It was constantly stopping the playback for both of us. Then I wrote a message to her to rant about Spotify, but then we figured it out. 😂 Only one device can play audio at a time. But it isn't a difficult thing to solve... Just buy the family subscription (it isn't expensive!) and then wherever you play music, make sure you're using your own account. And the same with others in your household.

flyboy3

Post by flyboy3 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:55 pm

It's £48 difference. I know it's not expensive, but I don't like paying for stuff I'm not going to get maximum benefit from. That's how these companies get rich. We're locked into a single account anyway as we got a deal via Amazon where you can buy an annual gift card for £99. That saves £21. They don't have one for the Duo or Family accounts (yet?).

IceColdCrash

Post by IceColdCrash » Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:28 am

You can also buy spotify premium from aliexpress, have a look at the prices you can get it there,
I am sure you will be surprised.
Not related to car, you can also get Netflix there for example,
One suggestion, do it month by month as its safer (just in case it stops working, you don't loose a year subscription money for example).
15/03/2019 - 1.8 Hybrid

vodamark

Post by vodamark » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:59 am

flyboy3 wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:55 pm
It's £48 difference. I know it's not expensive, but I don't like paying for stuff I'm not going to get maximum benefit from. That's how these companies get rich. We're locked into a single account anyway as we got a deal via Amazon where you can buy an annual gift card for £99. That saves £21. They don't have one for the Duo or Family accounts (yet?).
I guess that's the yearly price? I pay monthly and the way I look at it, it's like one visit to a cafe for me & my wife. But we do pay for many different subscriptions... Spotify, Netflix, Amazon, HBO, Disney+, Youtube Premium... Oh boy. 😬😬😬

flyboy3

Post by flyboy3 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:07 pm

vodamark wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:59 am
flyboy3 wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:55 pm
I guess that's the yearly price? I pay monthly and the way I look at it, it's like one visit to a cafe for me & my wife. But we do pay for many different subscriptions... Spotify, Netflix, Amazon, HBO, Disney+, Youtube Premium... Oh boy. 😬😬😬
Yes, £99 for the year vs £120 monthly, but add the difference of the Duo account. it's a £69 saving. That's 2 Saturday night takeaways, a night in a hotel, a flight, 2 tanks of petrol. Opportunity cost. I'd rather save that cash to spend on extras when I buy something big like a holiday or car for example! Hence why I went for the JBL upgrade. :D

Do you get to watch all those subscription services? This is were monthly comes in good because you can subscribe for a month, watch what you want then cancel. In the "old" days of VCRs, I used to subscribe to Sky Movies for a month, recording everything I wanted, cancelled and watched the tapes at my leisure. Then I'd repeat the process. Can't do that now with DVRs - well the quality would be poor from a VHS tape on a 55" HD screen I imagine! I did find deal for Now TV movies at half price for a year a few times. Then when you go to cancel it prompts you about 4 times before offering a further 3 months at £2.99 pm (as long as you say price is the reason you're leaving). Repeated that twice before that didn't work again. Maybe you should do a subscription audit and see what you really need!!