Catalytic converter theft

The place to discuss everything else..
Tommo56

Catalytic converter theft

Post by Tommo56 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:03 am

Recently seen on TV a report on the increase of theft of catalytic converters for their precious metal content, with Toyota being specific targets by gangs. Prius and Auris being the most recent examples with the gang posing as vehicle recovery crew... in broad daylight... in a car park! They just Jack up the car and cut the converter out.
Anyone had any experiences of there own in regards to this craze? Is it just a UK thing?
2017 C-HR Dynamic Hybrid. Decuma Grey

Walt

Re: Catalytic converter theft

Post by Walt » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:15 am

https://vehicletrackersandsecurity.com/collections/mechanical-security-for-cars

My insurance company sent me this link about some security. Cat lock on there for anybody worried.
Nebula blue dynamic.
Sports pack.wind deflectors.mudflaps etc.
With interior blue leds. And carbon addon bits. Running on shell V-Power.

Tommo56

Post by Tommo56 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:21 am

Coincidentally, I've just seen this article too....

Digital Trends: Thieves may again be targeting one of your hybrid car’s most valuable parts.
https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/thieves-stealing-hybrid-car-battery-packs-in-san-francisco/
2017 C-HR Dynamic Hybrid. Decuma Grey

Malc1975

Post by Malc1975 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:09 pm

we sell catloc at our dealer very good quality kit
as yet no reported thefts on anything but prius and auris

nothing to with precious metals being sold for scrap value there is another reason why specfically these vehicles are targetted

its because they are taxi's who lets say dont like spending lots of money on parts etc so £800 for a new one or someone offering them for say £200 which do you think they are chooosing

supply and demand

same thing as a few years back corsa's having there front ends nicked in the night
corsas were bought by young lads and lasses and a few themselves in accidents
thieves nicked the front ends of the cars to sell on ebay and facebook groups etc

Rosie60

Post by Rosie60 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:42 pm

My dealer is offering a cat lock fitted for £250. They are saying the theft seems mostly Prius 2 and 3 versions and Aurus 1 and 2. So mostly the older models where, as Tommo56 says, replacing the cat is more than the value of the car. No mention of CH-R ‘s or newer models of any hybrids
Excel in Tyrol Silver with protection pack, Supaguard treatment, protection pack and boot liner.

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”