Toyota is so far behind on Android Auto and Apple CarPlay

The place to discuss everything else..
Karmalakas

Toyota is so far behind on Android Auto and Apple CarPlay

Post by Karmalakas » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:53 am

Mazda offers an option to add Android Auto and Apple CarPlay to older cars (2014 and up) by installing necessary hardware for ~$400
https://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/press- ... egrations/
HSD in Earth Bronze (a.k.a. Havana Brown)

Giannis-CHR

Re: Toyota is so far behind on Android Auto and Apple CarPlay

Post by Giannis-CHR » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:30 pm

It's the only thing I don't like about my new C-HR. The infotainment system is slow, laggy, and outright garbage compared to google maps. At least this Mazda news goes to show carplay can be fitted retrospectively. Fingers crossed.
C-HR C-ENTER 1.2T FWD 6M/T

asinrute

Post by asinrute » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:29 pm

I wouldn’t pay £350 to have Android auto or Apple car play, the system is a bit laggy, but I think that applies to most in car systems. In the last few years, I have used Landrover, BMW, and Merc systems, they have all been a bit laggy, the landrover was much worse than my CHR,
The BM and Merc systems weren’t much better and none of them had Android auto or Apple play
Toyota C-HR Dynamic Hybrid ,Metal Stream with Black Roof, Leather and Running boards

Karmalakas

Post by Karmalakas » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:32 pm

I'd pay €500 to have Android Auto officially installed in my C-HR :/

Kostas_F

Post by Kostas_F » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:29 pm

I already paid 700 for this sh...
For 200 max I would think about it, knowing that Toyota is capable to ruin Android auto too.
Most of the current apps not working or works and don't provide what they have to. Slow, buggy, not worthy system. Biggest failure of my hi tech (?) car.
Toyota C-HR (C-Enter) Hybrid. Happy owner.

Karmalakas

Post by Karmalakas » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:11 pm

Kostas_F, why do you compare this crappy Toyota software with Google's? Also, Google has minimum HW requirements, I believe - probably that's why Mazda is changing the hardware to support Android Auto.

asinrute

Post by asinrute » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:40 pm

I can’t understand why either of you bought a CHR if you hate the software so much, surely if it’s that important you would have made sure you were happy with it before you bought your cars. It’s no secret that the CHR doesn’t support Android Auto or Apple play. I have a solution for you both sell your cars and buy something you are happy with.
Toyota C-HR Dynamic Hybrid ,Metal Stream with Black Roof, Leather and Running boards

Karmalakas

Post by Karmalakas » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:11 am

asinrute wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:40 pm
I can’t understand why either of you bought a CHR if you hate the software so much
I didn't buy it for the software. I had to drive it only for half an hour (no dealer gives a car for a whole day or weekend here) before deciding to buy so surely there wasn't enough time to dig into the SW anyway.

Spagyi

Post by Spagyi » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:22 am

Same here, I was well aware that the car didn’t have android/Apple CarPlay and it’s software is a bit sluggish and I still bought it. Yes I’m happy with the car and didn’t regret buying it, but it would be way much better it was supporting the above.

asinrute

Post by asinrute » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:34 am

I had to drive it only for half an hour (no dealer gives a car for a whole day or weekend here) before deciding to buy so surely there wasn't enough time to dig into the SW anyway.
That's poor from your dealer, I would never buy a car based on 30 mins experience. I had two half days ( so one day) with the car, plenty of time to park up and check out the software.

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”