Brake Hold, iMT and Sport Mode - fed up with having to turn on at start up.

All Toyota C-HR related discussions
DuncanM

Brake Hold, iMT and Sport Mode - fed up with having to turn on at start up.

Post by DuncanM » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:17 pm

Every time I start the car I have to set these functions. There is no explanation in the manual as to why Toyota have decided these can't be set to be on at start up. Brake Hold is a very important feature that I have come to rely on and its a right pain in the arse to suddenly find out its not on usually when you find yourself rolling back.
1.2 Petrol Manual Excel Pure White
Ordered 16 May delivered 2 June

Mills699

Re: Brake Hold, iMT and Sport Mode - fed up with having to turn on at start up.

Post by Mills699 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:39 pm

Agree with you on this one especially the IMT and brake hold.
It's weird and eco and normal mode stay when selected but not the fun sport mode!
Toyota CH-R 1.2T Manual Excel Havana Brown
Delivered 18th May 17

Karmalakas

Post by Karmalakas » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:13 pm

Rolling back? I thought all models come with hill assist. Never used brake hold and never rolled back even driving out of underground parking.
HSD in Earth Bronze (a.k.a. Havana Brown)

asinrute

Post by asinrute » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:43 pm

No but in an auto it means you can take your foot of the brake at lights or when stopped in traffic.
Toyota C-HR Dynamic Hybrid ,Metal Stream with Black Roof, Leather and Running boards

ROBBO

Post by ROBBO » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:42 pm

Is brake hold not different to the automatic hill start assist?

Mine doesn't roll back on hill start.

I've set mine on Sport mode. But I don't think it had changed back to normal when I checked again but will recheck.

Havent noticed any difference with IMT so haven't worried much.
Toyota C-HR Excel, 1.2T, Manual, White - arrived 17 March 2017

Alexr

Post by Alexr » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:34 pm

With an auto / hybrid the hold button stops it rolling FORWARD not back. I like to have it on in traffic jams, and it would be nice to have it default to on.
All the best
Alex
------------------------
Loving driving my C-HR Excel Hybrid in Metal Stream :P

DuncanM

Post by DuncanM » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:15 pm

On a manual brake hold stops it rolling forward or back. Its different from hill start assist which only holds for a few seconds. Brake hold works for several minutes, its like a manual handbrake lite for smooth getaways. Agree i can see no difference with iMT but if its supposed to help with smoother gear changes why cant it be permanent. Sport mode has to be reenabled every time on start up, well on the Manual 1.2 it does.
1.2 Petrol Manual Excel Pure White
Ordered 16 May delivered 2 June

holyhead

Post by holyhead » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:22 am

You said it yourself

Brake hold works for several minutes, its like a manual handbrake lite for smooth getaways.

So what is the advantage that the system is set as a default. After when you start driving that should mean that every time you stop
the brake hold system is activated. So in a traffic jam (flat road). stop brake on forward brake off etc. I think that is too much
for the system.

I can,t oversee in wich situation you rolling back. My last holiday in Devon in June (more than enough up and down hill)
I never rolled back and I never used the brake hold system.

I suppose the 1.2T works the same as an Hybrid.

If you don,t noticed any difference between IMT on or off that means that you already drive smoothly.
So why you want it as a default you don,t need it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGLVDbV5d9A

I agree that sport mode should be possible to set it as a default
Toyota C-HR Hybrid Premium
Color: Metalstream Grey metallic
Touch & Go2 Plus Nav System
Ordered Dec. 2016 arrived Jan. 2017
Collected 19 januari 2017

MerlyWerly

Post by MerlyWerly » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:48 am

All personal preference perhaps but I like it just how it is.

I use sport mode rarely and the brake hold rarely.

I only use Brake hold in heavy traffic where there will be longer periods of being stationary.
Driving round town stopping starting every few seconds I would not want to be using Brake hold it would drive me insane. (see what I did there?)

It's unfortunate that you are in a situation where you need brake hold a lot but for the majority of people it would be a hindrance not a help.
I tend to switch it on if I know I am going to be at lights for a while or in traffic jams/hold ups. I would never want to use it while I was slowly trundling along at low speeds and stopping and starting every few seconds.

Also I am not sure "relying" on it is the right word? It is a feature that stops you having to put leave your foot on the brake or engage the handbrake. My last two autos have not had this feature so its a convenience not a necessity or something that you should rely on for driving. I concur it is handy in some situations but I agree with Toyotas decision to auto reset.

Now a Sport button on the gear stick/steering wheel, that would be awesome.
Metal Stream Hybrid Excel+Mudflaps+Chrome Boot Protector+LED After Market Headlight kit+Door Lock Protectors

ROBBO

Post by ROBBO » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:15 am

Checked mine today and you do indeed need to turn the sport mode on if you need it every time. I don't think I realized as so many of my journeys are rush hour. Turned it on this morning for my journey and turned it off again before I got to work. It's definitely not a mode I think I would want on all the time.

Have to say though I had an Astra twintop a few years ago and that had a Sport button you just pressed when you wanted to use the Sport Mode. Much easier than having to go through the screens on the dash with the CHR.
Toyota C-HR Excel, 1.2T, Manual, White - arrived 17 March 2017

Return to “Main Toyota C-HR chat”