Hybrid battery (Traction battery) percentage charge

All Toyota C-HR related discussions
IceColdCrash

Re: Hybrid battery (Traction battery) percentage charge

Post by IceColdCrash » Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:02 pm

Anyone can have full battery as long as they go down a big slope,
I live in the mountains, mine foes full bars every single day as there's no way to avoid that when you're going down without the need to accelerate
15/03/2019 - 1.8 Hybrid

Dave D

Post by Dave D » Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:21 pm

Alexr wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:27 pm
Stormtrooper wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:43 pm
Thanks for the info guys, I fully understand the chemistry and physics involved, just thought toyota would have masked what appears to be a system deficiency with a graphical representation, or appearance, of "Fully charged" (even though it isn't). Interesting that Dave D shows full. Anyone else, before I go back to the dealer with that pic? (Thanks Dave D)
Why do think it is deficiency? The hybrid battery is there as an aid and to increase efficiency (unlike a fully electric car) It does that best by being maintained between 2 and 6 bars in normal use, by design.
I dont think you will achieve anything by showing the dealer Dave D’s image as it is possible to achieve that if you go down a long hill with regenerative brakes operating so is nothing to back up an argument.
Trust me (us) - your car is working fine and to spec.
The picture is just to show it is possible to have a full charge. But that is very rare and the picture was taken after a very long downhill and the charge soon dropped back to 80% .
Hybrid Excel White Pearl....With no stick on plastic tat from China... Running on supermarket fuel...

ColinB

Post by ColinB » Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:15 am

I'm not sure what would happen to the regenerative braking if the battery was fully charged? I remember reading of this happening on other hybrid / fully electric cars and only the "normal 'brakes would work.

devonaygo

Post by devonaygo » Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:44 pm

2 if you are still braking the car will as aboev shed energy but also stop
ColinB wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:15 am
I'm not sure what would happen to the regenerative braking if the battery was fully charged? I remember reading of this happening on other hybrid / fully electric cars and only the "normal 'brakes would work.
If your battery is full and the car unable to regenerate power back to the battery, ​the car will use a hybrid motor to spin the engine up ( will sound like the engine idling a a high rev ) to shed excess energy and use traditional friction braking to slow the car until the battery drops to level capable of accepting regen you may also notice the car will use EV at a higher than normal speed again to shed the excess energy and bring the battery charge level down

Stormtrooper

Post by Stormtrooper » Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:59 pm

Alexr wrote:
Stormtrooper wrote:
Thanks for the info guys, I fully understand the chemistry and physics involved, just thought toyota would have masked what appears to be a system deficiency with a graphical representation, or appearance, of "Fully charged" (even though it isn't). Interesting that Dave D shows full. Anyone else, before I go back to the dealer with that pic? (Thanks Dave D)
Why do think it is deficiency? The hybrid battery is there as an aid and to increase efficiency (unlike a fully electric car) It does that best by being maintained between 2 and 6 bars in normal use, by design.
I dont think you will achieve anything by showing the dealer Dave D’s image as it is possible to achieve that if you go down a long hill with regenerative brakes operating so is nothing to back up an argument.
Hi Alex,
I consider it a deficiency because Toyota could (and should, in my opinion), have represented the battery graphic as "full", even though the battery technically isn't, at whatever percentage they desired. Most other manufacturers indicate fluids Oil, petrol, diesel on a graphical scale this way, when displayed. Indeed, Toyota do it with the petrol gauge on this very vehicle, even when the petrol tank is not brimmed to capacity, the quantity is graphically displayed as "full", even though the displayed system is not physically "full", for various operational reasons. We have been conditioned to accept something which is not displayed as "full" as less than optimal in that particular area. The fact that the graphic never effectively reads "full", apart from maybe after a long descent, as you envisaged, is an "attention getter", which is why it got my attention, obviously!
Hybrid in Stormtrooper White . . . . is it only me who can see that?

Karmalakas

Post by Karmalakas » Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:20 pm

Stormtrooper wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:59 pm
I consider it a deficiency because Toyota could...
Are you comparing liquids to an electric charge? And are you saying you better have a faulty battery in a year instead of it not fully charging or discharging? Or are you saying that 80% should show as a 100%? Then maybe a 100% should issue a beeping warning? What about 20%? Are you saying you'd feel better if it showed 0%? Just wait till you hear, that Toyota actually uses only ~60% of batterys real capacity - that's why after 10 years it still has all 8 bars working, when actually there are like 70% left of the battery
2017 HSD in Earth Bronze (a.k.a. Havana Brown)

Alexr

Post by Alexr » Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:40 pm

Stormtrooper wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:59 pm
Alexr wrote:
Stormtrooper wrote:
Hi Alex,
I consider it a deficiency because Toyota could (and should, in my opinion), have represented the battery graphic as "full", even though the battery technically isn't, at whatever percentage they desired. Most other manufacturers indicate fluids Oil, petrol, diesel on a graphical scale this way, when displayed. Indeed, Toyota do it with the petrol gauge on this very vehicle, even when the petrol tank is not brimmed to capacity, the quantity is graphically displayed as "full", even though the displayed system is not physically "full", for various operational reasons. We have been conditioned to accept something which is not displayed as "full" as less than optimal in that particular area. The fact that the graphic never effectively reads "full", apart from maybe after a long descent, as you envisaged, is an "attention getter", which is why it got my attention, obviously!
Sorry. That argument is bizarre. If it is 80% full it show as full?????? And because other guages are not accurate enough?? If my petrol tank is 80% full it shows as just over 3/4 full. Good luck arguing that with the dealer.
All the best
Alex
------------------------
Loved driving my C-HR Excel Hybrid in Metal Stream for 4 yrs
Now loving my C-HR 2.0 Dynamic in Pearl White and black. :P

Stormtrooper

Post by Stormtrooper » Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:31 pm

Maybe bizarre to you, but not to me, hence the question. Is the system operating optimally, or not? If it displays less than full, when it is effectively at maximum operational capacity, then that would indicate a deficiency in that system, to anyone with knowledge of neuropsychology. As a Pilot, if the displays in my jet only indicated 75% full, when the systems were actually "at capacity", that would be cause for concern, unless the operating manual stated that this was normal. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has been frustrated with the display showing 2 missing bars of capacity, when in fact, the system is operating correctly. In 712 pages of the owner's manual, there is nothing stating that "under normal circumstances, the hybrid battery display will not show as full". It's nonsense.
Hybrid in Stormtrooper White . . . . is it only me who can see that?

Karmalakas

Post by Karmalakas » Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:57 pm

Stormtrooper wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:31 pm
Is the system operating optimally, or not?
That's exactly what it means when not fully charged or discharged. Hence my question, if you want your battery dead in a year or two. It's a Ni-MH battery. And neuropsychology has nothing to do with it if you have no idea how these batteries work. I would be much more concerned if it would constantly keep a 100%. And again, please don't compare liquids to battery charge - that's just simply ignorant
2017 HSD in Earth Bronze (a.k.a. Havana Brown)

Alexr

Post by Alexr » Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:07 am

Stormtrooper wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:31 pm
Maybe bizarre to you, but not to me, hence the question. Is the system operating optimally, or not? If it displays less than full, when it is effectively at maximum operational capacity, then that would indicate a deficiency in that system, to anyone with knowledge of neuropsychology. As a Pilot, if the displays in my jet only indicated 75% full, when the systems were actually "at capacity", that would be cause for concern, unless the operating manual stated that this was normal. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has been frustrated with the display showing 2 missing bars of capacity, when in fact, the system is operating correctly. In 712 pages of the owner's manual, there is nothing stating that "under normal circumstances, the hybrid battery display will not show as full". It's nonsense.
Come on get real. The system IS operating optimally. But to operate optimally it leaves some spare capacity in the battery (so for example if you start downhill it can still capture more energy). It is NOT at max operational capacity, it is at maximum EFFICIENCY. It fills the battery to (about) 75% and tells you it is filled to 75% - that is not a fault. What is so hard to understand about that?
All the best
Alex
------------------------
Loved driving my C-HR Excel Hybrid in Metal Stream for 4 yrs
Now loving my C-HR 2.0 Dynamic in Pearl White and black. :P