Hybrid battery (Traction battery) percentage charge

All Toyota C-HR related discussions
Stormtrooper

Hybrid battery (Traction battery) percentage charge

Post by Stormtrooper » Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:25 am

Hello all, a question about hybrid battery charge percentage, please.

I am the second owner of a 2019 1.8, with "average" miles on the odometer. Having purchased the vehicle from a (non Toyota) main dealer late last year, during lockdown, I only initially drove very short distances, so didn't really expect to see the battery appear fully charged on the hybrid display page of the infotainment system.

Over the past few weeks I have been driving normal distances and have been surprised to see the hybrid battery never appearing more than 75% charged. The hybrid display has 8 green blocks/bars to indicate hybrid battery charge. Mine never goes above 6 blocks, despite my last drive being a 100 mile round trip on a motorway. That elusive last 2 blocks of lost capacity are "niggling" me!

I telephoned my local Toyota dealership and booked the vehicle in for a hybrid battery health check and to see if it could be changed under warranty. A couple of hours later I received a telephone call from the same dealership, cancelling the appointment as my battery appeared "normal". Their representative in the service department attempted to baffle brains with BS (in my mind) and said "it will never go above 6 bars because the battery is never charged to more than 80%, they leave a reserve". This sounds highly questionable to me. I understand the technology, and the benefits of charging a lithium-ion battery to around 80%, to increase it's service life, but the hybrid battery in the C-HR is NiMH, not lithium-ion, so the same reasoning doesn't apply. Additionally, even if the manufacturer decided to stop the actual battery charge short of 100% capacity for some reason, I'm sure they would still arrange the graphical display of capacity to appear "full".

I'm considering calling them back to give them a piece of my mind and highlight the fact that I think they're trying to pull the wool over my eyes, but as there isn't much left to give in the current state of the world I thought I'd check with other owners first.

I understand that battery capacity diminishes over time, this is considered normal, but 25% in 2 years?

Thanks in anticipation of any responses!
Hybrid in Stormtrooper White . . . . is it only me who can see that?

Alexr

Re: Hybrid battery (Traction battery) percentage charge

Post by Alexr » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:10 am

The dealer is right. The same applies to low charge too. It tries to maintain charge between 2 and 6 bars.
All the best
Alex
------------------------
Loved driving my C-HR Excel Hybrid in Metal Stream for 4 yrs
Now loving my C-HR 2.0 Dynamic in Pearl White and black. :P

SeeHR

Post by SeeHR » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:24 pm

Yep. NiMH batteries still wear, it’s beneficial to keep them away from the extremes of charge.

You also need to understand that the benefits of a hybrid battery are different from an all-electric vehicle.
The hybrid is there to shift energy around - you take the energy from a high speed deceleration, store it temporarily in the battery and then use it to accelerate again. That allows re-use of kinetic energy and it also allows your engine to stay at the “sweet spot” of efficiency while the electric motors deal with the peaks and troughs.

That’s different from an all-electric, where you want to store as much energy in the battery as possible since it’s your only method of propulsion.

If your hybrid charged up to 100% then it would need to stop using regenerative braking until there was room in the battery to absorb it. It would actually make it less efficient.
Same with discharging to 0% - you’d have to use the engine the next time you accelerated.

So don’t get hung up on battery charge - the efficiency is from the total energy shifted, nor the total energy stored in the battery, and the hybrid system is very good at managing that.

Chelseablue

Post by Chelseablue » Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:28 pm

Excellent explanation by SeeHR👍

Dave D

Post by Dave D » Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:01 pm

20190624_152326-1.jpg

Hybrid Excel White Pearl....With no stick on plastic tat from China... Running on supermarket fuel...

ColinB

Post by ColinB » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:09 am

I managed to nearly have my battery showing fully charged yesterday with a series of downhill slopes and using the cruise control to slow my decent, but it soon went back down to the normal 6 bars.

Stormtrooper

Post by Stormtrooper » Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:43 pm

Thanks for the info guys, I fully understand the chemistry and physics involved, just thought toyota would have masked what appears to be a system deficiency with a graphical representation, or appearance, of "Fully charged" (even though it isn't). Interesting that Dave D shows full. Anyone else, before I go back to the dealer with that pic? (Thanks Dave D)
Hybrid in Stormtrooper White . . . . is it only me who can see that?

DutCHR

Post by DutCHR » Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:05 pm

It is rare to have all bars full. On long downhill drive it is possible but normally 1 or 2 bars are always empty.
So dont worry. Your dealer can perform a Hybrid-Check if you want.
2017 C-HR Hybrid Metalstream Grey --- Genuine JDM styled and also a lot of sh*t from China
2019 Corolla TS 2.0 Hybrid --- 180HP Girlpower!

Ron3005

Post by Ron3005 » Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:01 pm

I bought mine new in 2017 I’ve never had all bars green
Ron

Alexr

Post by Alexr » Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:27 pm

Stormtrooper wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:43 pm
Thanks for the info guys, I fully understand the chemistry and physics involved, just thought toyota would have masked what appears to be a system deficiency with a graphical representation, or appearance, of "Fully charged" (even though it isn't). Interesting that Dave D shows full. Anyone else, before I go back to the dealer with that pic? (Thanks Dave D)
Why do think it is deficiency? The hybrid battery is there as an aid and to increase efficiency (unlike a fully electric car) It does that best by being maintained between 2 and 6 bars in normal use, by design.
I dont think you will achieve anything by showing the dealer Dave D’s image as it is possible to achieve that if you go down a long hill with regenerative brakes operating so is nothing to back up an argument.
Trust me (us) - your car is working fine and to spec.
All the best
Alex
------------------------
Loved driving my C-HR Excel Hybrid in Metal Stream for 4 yrs
Now loving my C-HR 2.0 Dynamic in Pearl White and black. :P