Keyless fob distance from car not work ?

All Toyota C-HR related discussions
Countryside

Keyless fob distance from car not work ?

Post by Countryside » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:52 pm

What is the distance from car when the keyless fob will not work ? I’m moving to bungalow in a month and car will be 8 feet from my front door so will get a faraday box or switch fob off

Alexr

Re: Keyless fob distance from car not work ?

Post by Alexr » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:34 pm

I am not sure of the figures, but I am not sure you are asking the right question.
The car can detect quite accurately where your key is so as soon you step away from the car the keyless entry wont allow the door to be opened.
However, the issue with security of the keyless system is that an attacker can bring along a device that can pick up the signal from your key and relay that to a second device near the car that can “dupe” the car into thinking that the key is adjacent to the car. So the concern you should have is how close an attacker can get to your key (not to your car) when you are inside the house with the car parked outside.
All the best
Alex
------------------------
Loved driving my C-HR Excel Hybrid in Metal Stream for 4 yrs
Now loving my C-HR 2.0 Dynamic in Pearl White and black. :P

Countryside

Post by Countryside » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:21 pm

Yes I see that Alex but my fob was just 6 feet away could someone open the door touching the door handle lines without a device ?

asinrute

Post by asinrute » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:35 am

Yes I see that Alex but my fob was just 6 feet away could someone open the door touching the door handle lines without a device ?
The easy solution to that is to turn the key off on the fob, takes 2 seconds and disables the key. Hold down the lock button on the key fob and while holding it down, press the unlock button twice quickly, then release the lock button. The light on the fob should flash four times to confirm it's done. Test it for yourself turn off the key as above then put the key in you pocket and put your hand on the car door handle it shouldn't unlock.
Toyota C-HR Dynamic Hybrid ,Metal Stream with Black Roof, Leather and Running boards

Alexr

Post by Alexr » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:40 am

Countryside wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:21 pm
From the manual:

■ Effective range (areas within which the electronic key is detected)
When locking or unlocking the doors (vehicles with an entry function)
The system can be operated when the electronic key is within about 0.7 m (2.3 ft.) of an outside front door handle and the back door. (Only the doors detecting the key can be operated.)

So the answer to your question is “no”.
All the best
Alex
------------------------
Loved driving my C-HR Excel Hybrid in Metal Stream for 4 yrs
Now loving my C-HR 2.0 Dynamic in Pearl White and black. :P

Countryside

Post by Countryside » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:31 am

Many thanks for your replies very kind of you I love the car now done 600 miles very comfortable

asinrute

Post by asinrute » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:17 pm

■ Effective range (areas within which the electronic key is detected)
When locking or unlocking the doors (vehicles with an entry function)
The system can be operated when the electronic key is within about 0.7 m (2.3 ft.) of an outside front door handle and the back door. (Only the doors detecting the key can be operated.)

So the answer to your question is “no”.
Without being alarmist, one of the problems with this type of key is that thieves are using relays to transmit the signal from the key to the car via one of the gang so this negates the effective range. Best practice is to disable the key so quick and just press the unlock key to bring it back to life

Toyota C-HR Dynamic Hybrid ,Metal Stream with Black Roof, Leather and Running boards

ColinB

Post by ColinB » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:42 am

Personally I keep my keys in a Faraday pouch at home to prevent the relay theft risk. I don't want to disable the touch function as I do use that all the time, although I agree that it is a valid alternative.
Colin

Countryside

Post by Countryside » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:49 pm

ColinB wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:42 am
Personally I keep my keys in a Faraday pouch at home to prevent the relay theft risk. I don't want to disable the touch function as I do use that all the time, although I agree that it is a valid alternative.
Colin
Colin I’m told a metal tin lined with foil does same job or put key fob in microwave ?

DutCHR

Post by DutCHR » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:13 pm

Any metal box or pouch will decrease the signal strenth.
So storing your keyfob in microwave, dishwasher of washing machine will work.
2017 C-HR Hybrid Metalstream Grey --- Genuine JDM styled and also a lot of sh*t from China
2019 Corolla TS 2.0 Hybrid --- 180HP Girlpower!