Maps missing?

All Toyota C-HR related discussions
GazchrT

Maps missing?

Post by GazchrT » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:58 pm

Hi Everyone.
Hopefully somebody can answer this.
I purchased a 2020 CH-R recently and driving home from the dealership I excitedly pressed the maps button but nothing happened.
I know that you can use maps via apple CarPlay but just presumed I could view them without the need of connecting my phone.There’s probably a simple solution but I don’t have the answer.
I have had a quick look around the forum but haven’t found an answer.... So if anyone can shed light on this it will be much appreciated.
Thanks!
Gaz.

Alexr

Re: Maps missing?

Post by Alexr » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:28 pm

GazchrT wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:58 pm
Hi Everyone.
Hopefully somebody can answer this.
I purchased a 2020 CH-R recently and driving home from the dealership I excitedly pressed the maps button but nothing happened.
I know that you can use maps via apple CarPlay but just presumed I could view them without the need of connecting my phone.There’s probably a simple solution but I don’t have the answer.
I have had a quick look around the forum but haven’t found an answer.... So if anyone can shed light on this it will be much appreciated.
Thanks!
Gaz.
Do you have the Icon model? (that comes without built in navigation)
All the best
Alex
------------------------
Loved driving my C-HR Excel Hybrid in Metal Stream for 4 yrs
Now loving my C-HR 2.0 Dynamic in Pearl White and black. :P

GazchrT

Post by GazchrT » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:32 pm

Hi Alex.
Yes I should have mentioned it’s the Icon.
Lovely car all the same but did wonder about the missing maps.
Thanks.
Gaz.

adn1962

Post by adn1962 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:53 pm

No built-in maps on icon spec. You do have apple and google play though .
Metalstream Excel 2018. Mud flaps, dash cam, Bumper corner protection, chrome boot and sill protectors, door handle protection film, Smoked Toyota wind deflectors, Spare wheel kit.
Bike - 2018 Honda Forza 300, touring screen, top box and Puig handguards.

drabisan

Post by drabisan » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:46 am

I have an Orange edition and although all (some?) in UK came with navigation, mine, in Ireland, did not.
I had navigation in my previous 1.8 CHR and I can vouch you're not missing anything by not having Toyota's navigation!
Google Maps is better by all means!
And you have Waze and several alternatives you can pay for if you choose to. Google finally opened Android Auto to 3rd parties, Apple did the same a while back.
Just buy yourself a good quality cable and plug the phone to the car.

GazchrT

Post by GazchrT » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:13 am

adn1962 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:53 pm
No built-in maps on icon spec. You do have apple and google play though .
Thanks for the reply.
Cheers.
Gaz.

GazchrT

Post by GazchrT » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:16 am

drabisan wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:46 am
I have an Orange edition and although all (some?) in UK came with navigation, mine, in Ireland, did not.
I had navigation in my previous 1.8 CHR and I can vouch you're not missing anything by not having Toyota's navigation!
Google Maps is better by all means!
And you have Waze and several alternatives you can pay for if you choose to. Google finally opened Android Auto to 3rd parties, Apple did the same a while back.
Just buy yourself a good quality cable and plug the phone to the car.
Lol Thats good to know that I’m not missing anything.
Thanks for your informative answer!
Best wishes and happy motoring.
Gaz.

chillyman50

Post by chillyman50 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:06 pm

Google maps are better anyway. I never use the in car one.
1.2 Excel in pearlescent White with protection pack :D
bought for my wife

flyboy3

Post by flyboy3 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:46 am

chillyman50 wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:06 pm
Google maps are better anyway. I never use the in car one.
I'm still coming to grips with all the tech in the car - I've only had mine for a few weeks! Still playing with the different map options. Does Toyota Maps have real time traffic info?

I finally worked out that the high pitched double beep was a speed camera warning and if the Toyota Map was on screen you'd see the camera box appear down the bottom rhs with a counter showing the distance to it. It does seem to be a little out, ie saying the camera is 10 meters away when you have actually passed it!

On Google Maps, can you get the speed cameras to show up? I see them on Waze - does it give messages to say a camera is nearby? Prefer the look of Google Maps, but I guess that's gust because I'm used to it..

I'm also guessing the "send to car" feature on the MyT app is only for the inbuilt map. It won't work for Waze or GM?

drabisan

Post by drabisan » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:08 pm

Google Maps has fixed speed cameras in several countries in Europe. You don't need to do anything to activate it. Just make sure your phone does gets the updates by itself.
GM doesn't have any feature to add mobile cameras though. Waze would be the best option if this is important for you. I know, Waze looks not as clean as GM, but...

A similar feature with "send to car" is to open GM on the phone, find the destination (or itinerary if you want) and click "Start". Once you connect the phone to cable in the car, AA just picks up the route. At least that is the behavior with my Pixel phone.