Alloy Wheel repair

All Toyota C-HR related discussions
BadDaddy

Alloy Wheel repair

Post by BadDaddy » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:47 am

Hello. Just got a new Excel modelCHR at the start of the month. Wife went to pick up our kid from school and scratched the rear alloy wheel while parking. Great start. I took out every other insurance except wheel and tyre as we'd never had a problem before. 2 questions. 1. Any good repairers in London? 2. As I'm still in my 30 days (for another week or so) of purchace, what insurance co do you recomend? I know it won't cover this damage, but some of the policies say they don't cover chrome or diamond cut. I got no idea what these are apart from "chrome alloys". Can't go back to the dealer - the wife said she was a better driver to him than me!!

flyboy3

Re: Alloy Wheel repair

Post by flyboy3 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:05 pm

Hi Baddaddy, sorry to hear of your bad luck - well, rather your wife's bad luck.

I've got the same trim. It was a surprise to me too about the chrome alloy wheels. I ordered last year and honestly don't recall amongst all the blurb about the wheels being chrome. It may have been but it's been over 10 years since I bought a car and I was overwhelmed with all the other options. I hadn't taken in the difference. What should have alerted me was when the dealer I eventually used didn't offer me tyre and alloy insurance (where as the 1st one was offering it). She told me they stopped selling it as it wasn't popular. At the prices the first dealer charge I'm not surprised!

I started looking on line at insurance too and found an average of £280 for 3 years. And then you look at the terms. Diamond cut fine. Paints fine. Chrome? No. I did a quick google search and found this place https://www.fawheels.co.uk/prices . Obviously can't personally recommend them. There are a few others that came up on the search. To buy a new wheel based on the old model you're looking at £390 I think. Can't see the new version for sale yet.

If I understood right all the other trim levels have "normal" alloy wheels that can be touched up easily by spot repairers. Not sure why the Excel trim gets this treatment.

I'm wondering if it's better to leave it a bit in case she causes more damage and then get it repaired since the place I found is a flat rate!

There are some home repair kits but while that may fill the holes, it don't think it will match the colour. It's not "silver" but a dark chrome.

Good luck with getting it fixed!

Spen2811

Re: Alloy Wheel repair

Post by Spen2811 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:10 pm

Surely the wheel are not chrome,just a shadow chrome paint finish wheels would be an alloy just a different paint finish.