Mot

All Toyota C-HR related discussions
Ron3005

Mot

Post by Ron3005 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:14 pm

Just a head up to everyone that changed their headlight bulbs to led or hid as of 22nd march 2021 you will fail the mot you have to have you're original bulbs in to pass
Ron

Dave D

Re: Mot

Post by Dave D » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:33 pm

Ron3005 wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:14 pm
Just a head up to everyone that changed their headlight bulbs to led or hid as of 22nd march 2021 you will fail the mot you have to have you're original bulbs in to pass
Have you anymore info on this?..Reason why they have to be original?..
Hybrid Excel White Pearl....With no stick on plastic tat from China... Running on supermarket fuel...

Dave D

Post by Dave D » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:24 pm

Dave D wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:33 pm
Ron3005 wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:14 pm
Have you anymore info on this?..Reason why they have to be original?..
Just looked it up online, halogen headlamps converted to led are not road legal in the Uk either as well as a Mot failure.
Hybrid Excel White Pearl....With no stick on plastic tat from China... Running on supermarket fuel...

Ron3005

Post by Ron3005 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:40 pm

Had my mot yesterday and I had to run back with my original bulbs or would cost up to £80 quoted for new bulbs
Ron

adn1962

Post by adn1962 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:37 pm

If you have LED headlamps - which are not factory fitted, they will fail it. By law now, If you have LED headlamps, you have to have Headlamp washers as standard.
Metalstream Excel 2018. Mud flaps, dash cam, Bumper corner protection, chrome boot and sill protectors, door handle protection film, Smoked Toyota wind deflectors, Spare wheel kit.
Bike - 2018 Honda Forza 300, touring screen, top box and Puig handguards.

Alexr

Post by Alexr » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:07 pm

adn1962 wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:37 pm
If you have LED headlamps - which are not factory fitted, they will fail it. By law now, If you have LED headlamps, you have to have Headlamp washers as standard.
Are you sure about that? I have just bought 2020 model dynamic with LED and no headlamp washers. Are you telling me Toyota have just sold me a car that is not roadworthy and will fail its MOT when 3 yrs old? I would not expect that to be true.
All the best
Alex
------------------------
Loved driving my C-HR Excel Hybrid in Metal Stream for 4 yrs
Now loving my C-HR 2.0 Dynamic in Pearl White and black. :P

Alexr

Post by Alexr » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:15 pm

Further to this I did a small amount of research and found:
“ Headlight units are manufactured around a specific technology. Let’s say that the bulbs for your dipped beam are H7. The “H” stands for Halogen meaning the headlight unit has been purposely built for a halogen bulb. The number that follows the “H” indicates that only a H bulb with the same number can be installed.

The aftermarket LED bulbs that are available have only ever been designed to replace their halogen counter parts and without supporting legislation, they can’t achieve an E mark.”

and regarding the MoT
“ Please note that since January 2021, the MOT Inspection manual has been updated to include LED bulbs.

Section 4.1.4 now states the following:

“Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.”

This is a brand new update that seems to only focus on headlights.

There are no mentions to fail other LED bulbs such as brake lights, tail lights or reversing lights.”

So I conclude headlamp washers have nothing to do with this. It is about the design of the headlamp unit matching the bulb.
All the best
Alex
------------------------
Loved driving my C-HR Excel Hybrid in Metal Stream for 4 yrs
Now loving my C-HR 2.0 Dynamic in Pearl White and black. :P

drabisan

Post by drabisan » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:53 pm

Alexr wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:07 pm
adn1962 wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:37 pm
Are you sure about that? I have just bought 2020 model dynamic with LED and no headlamp washers. Are you telling me Toyota have just sold me a car that is not roadworthy and will fail its MOT when 3 yrs old? I would not expect that to be true.
I'm with you here. I had cars with xenon lamps from factory, with washers, and I could tell I need to wash it. Beam was at least weird.
My 2020 had only LED lights and it doesn't suffer from the same issues as xenon when it's dirty.
And yes, it would be a super fun discussion with a large car manufacturer to find headlight washers are required for LEDs.
I would trust it's not a requirement otherwise they won't be able to sell the car.

adn1962

Post by adn1962 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:58 pm

CORRECTION - Xenon had to have washers, LED have to have automatic headlamp levelling.
Metalstream Excel 2018. Mud flaps, dash cam, Bumper corner protection, chrome boot and sill protectors, door handle protection film, Smoked Toyota wind deflectors, Spare wheel kit.
Bike - 2018 Honda Forza 300, touring screen, top box and Puig handguards.