Toyota C-HR Forum banner

Climate Control - Auto Mode

10K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  drabisan 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I've been scouring the manual and the internet to no avail - I can't get the "Auto" mode of the climate control to work.

As I understand, it should automatically adjust the temperature, fan speed and vent choice to adapt to the cabin temperature. The mode (normal, eco, fast) should also affect how long it takes to kick in, and how strongly it'll heat or cool. Is that right?
The problem is it just basically stays off, regardless of the cabin temperature. Fan off and no vents selected.

Whenever I try and wake it up by changing a setting, it goes off auto mode and I have to manually set everything up.

What am I doing wrong? Would be great to just set it to a temp and forget about it. Instead I'm waiting in vain for auto mode to do something, before getting too cold and fiddling with all the settings each time I use it.

#2 ·
You're not doing anything wrong. If on auto fans are staying off, you have a fault and needs to be checked by Toyota.
Especially now days when it's kinda cold, you should hear the fans after 1-2 minutes of driving.
I find eco terrible in keeping the windows fog-free. Most times I'm keeping it on fast. Normal is good when there are no conditions for fogging.

#3 ·
Ok grand, thanks for the info.

So I'm aware it might stay off for the first couple of minutes, once it activates does it display the fan speed and vent selection? Or does it stay blank?

I just wanna make sure it's not just user error before I take it into the garage...

#4 ·
SeeHR said:

So I'm aware it might stay off for the first couple of minutes, once it activates does it display the fan speed and vent selection? Or does it stay blank?

I just wanna make sure it's not just user error before I take it into the garage...
Stays blank.
To test it bung the temp up to 25 and see how long it takes to start heating ( one engine is. warm) .

#6 ·
SeeHR said:

No, display won't show where it blows air or speed. So if that's cue you're looking for, you won't find it.
It starts as soon as you're starting the car. But you can start hearing it a minute or so later once engine gets warm. During summer you'll hear fans speeding immediately.

#7 ·
Huh! Turns out it is working! Looks like it's pretty anemic and the display stays blank as you advised, but it does seem to be doing something after a few minutes.

Any tips for getting it to work harder, as it doesn't seem to be very effective at maintaining the temp?

Regardless, cheers for the info all, you've saved me an embarrassing wild goose chase at the garage!

#8 ·
When it's cold (read Irish cold 1-2C, not Sweden cold) it takes like 6-8 minutes of driving to warn the entire cabin.
If you're stuck in traffic it will take longer.
When it's warm (Irish version, so ~20C) cooling the cabin is fast, 4-5 minutes).
I find eco not good enough for warming or cooling. I'm using normal/fast 50-50 on average.
My Orange one has vents under front seats and not all models have it. So that may make a bit of difference.

#9 ·
SeeHR said:
Huh! Turns out it is working! Looks like it's pretty anemic and the display stays blank as you advised, but it does seem to be doing something after a few minutes.

Any tips for getting it to work harder, as it doesn't seem to be very effective at maintaining the temp?

Regardless, cheers for the info all, you've saved me an embarrassing wild goose chase at the garage!
When you say not very efficient, so you mean not very quick to get the temp right or that it does not maintain the temp properly? Because I find it is very good at maintaining the temp once stabilised.

#10 ·
HVAC system on the C-HR is not the best! Auto setting should be used with AC on and temp set at desired temperature - then just leave it. Problem is, when it's cold outside and system enters EV mode, heat tends to drop until engine kicks in again.
AC is key also for a avoiding condensation on inside of windows.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.