What do you do when you can't find a decent phone mount? Put one together yourself...

All Toyota C-HR related discussions
Dommer

Re: What do you do when you can't find a decent phone mount? Put one together yourself...

Post by Dommer » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:18 pm

That’s a really expensive plastic box!

And I bet it’s useless as a phone holder.

Synomenon

Re: What do you do when you can't find a decent phone mount? Put one together yourself...

Post by Synomenon » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:21 pm

Dommer wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:18 pm
That’s a really expensive plastic box!

And I bet it’s useless as a phone holder.
Well, it's molded to the back of the C-HR's infotainment screen and of course it's useless as a phone holder. That's why I modified it to make it work how I want it to.

davewaller

Post by davewaller » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:24 pm

What's wrong with using the car's inbuilt handsfree phone system.

No worries of falling foul of the MOT or PC Plod saying windscreen 'swept area' is to be kept unobstructed Sir.

Worse still, having an accident because of being distracted ;)

Karmalakas

Post by Karmalakas » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:38 pm

davewaller wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:24 pm
What about maps?
HSD in Earth Bronze (a.k.a. Havana Brown)

Dave D

Post by Dave D » Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:24 am

Karmalakas wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:38 pm
davewaller wrote:
What about maps?
Use the car's nav system.
Hybrid Excel White Pearl....With no stick on plastic tat from China... Running on supermarket fuel...

Karmalakas

Post by Karmalakas » Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:56 pm

Dave D wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:24 am
Use the car's nav system.
I don't want to expand again on what I've wrote in detail already in some topics here, but Toyota's maps are pretty much unusable. Especially for non English speakers and addresses without ZIP codes.

asinrute

Post by asinrute » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:25 pm

don't want to expand again on what I've wrote in detail already in some topics here, but Toyota's maps are pretty much unusable. Especially for non English speakers and addresses without ZIP codes.

Nothing personal, because I know you have contributed enormously to this forum, but this is basically an English speaking forum and the majority are UK based.
Although it’s far from perfect, I have used the maps for 4 years and it has always got me where I wanted to go with no problems both here and in Europe
Toyota C-HR Dynamic Hybrid ,Metal Stream with Black Roof, Leather and Running boards

Synomenon

Post by Synomenon » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:31 pm

davewaller wrote:

No worries of falling foul of the MOT or PC Plod saying windscreen 'swept area' is to be kept unobstructed Sir.

Worse still, having an accident because of being distracted ;)
The handsfree speaker phone system works just fine. I have to use Waze since the C-HR doesn't have a built-in navigation "app" in the USA. I use Waze through Apple Carplay and have the phone where it is so I can see the turn-by-turn directions on the phone's screen and the map on the C-HR's infotainment screen. I don't even have to take my eyes off of the road with this setup.

Karmalakas

Post by Karmalakas » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:20 pm

asinrute wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:25 pm
this is basically an English speaking forum and the majority are UK based.
Although it’s far from perfect, I have used the maps for 4 years and it has always got me where I wanted to go with no problems both here and in Europe
There are lots and lots of people in this forum outside UK. Even US and Australia.
Anyway... Navigation gets you there, but first you have to put in the address and for me to put in the destination and one stop took almost half an hour (I recall it was at least 20 minutes). And that's when I already knew quite well how to use it. Typing one character takes like 5 seconds until it finds if there's a match and lets you proceed with typing another character. App never worked in my country to send routes from phone. Zooming or swiping map also takes ages to react... And that's just maps - whole infotainment is simply terrible..

Dave D

Post by Dave D » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:45 am

I don't type the addresses into the nav I use the voice control.
Hybrid Excel White Pearl....With no stick on plastic tat from China... Running on supermarket fuel...