What do you do when you can't find a decent phone mount? Put one together yourself...

All Toyota C-HR related discussions
Synomenon

What do you do when you can't find a decent phone mount? Put one together yourself...

Post by Synomenon » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:38 am

Didn't like the ProClip option and I hate vent and cup-holder mounts.

Image Image Image

Parts list:

"Box"
www.aliexpress.com/item/4000973043788.html

RAM Mounts Diamond Ball Base
www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-238U

RAM Mounts Double Socket Swivel & Ratchet Arm
www.rammount.com/part/RAP-B-200-2NKU

Arkon Mounts 1-inch to 17mm Ball Adapter
www.arkon.com/product/SP25MM17-25mm-bal ... apter.html

Magsafe Car Mount
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08PVJYZD9/

Gorilla "Tough & Clear Mounting Tape"
www.gorillatough.com/product/tough-and- ... ting-tape/

Alexr

Re: What do you do when you can't find a decent phone mount? Put one together yourself...

Post by Alexr » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:50 am

Congratulations on your ingenuity, but are you sure that is safe? It obscures your view of the road rather a lot. I think in the UK that would not be seen as legal.
All the best
Alex
------------------------
Loved driving my C-HR Excel Hybrid in Metal Stream for 4 yrs
Now loving my C-HR 2.0 Dynamic in Pearl White and black. :P

MadSkilzYo

Re: What do you do when you can't find a decent phone mount? Put one together yourself...

Post by MadSkilzYo » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:55 am

I’ll pass thanks.

Karmalakas

Post by Karmalakas » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:01 pm

That would be illegal in my country. Too much of the view is obstructed
HSD in Earth Bronze (a.k.a. Havana Brown)

Dave D

Post by Dave D » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:48 pm

Looks like you have drilled a hole in side of the display to fix it??
Hybrid Excel White Pearl....With no stick on plastic tat from China... Running on supermarket fuel...

flyboy3

Post by flyboy3 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:35 am

Shame you don't have Lidl in the USofA. Got mine from there for £7 and its suction is like glue. Never comes off!

Walt

Post by Walt » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:02 pm

Wow just wow.
Nebula blue dynamic.
Sports pack.wind deflectors.mudflaps etc.
With interior blue leds. Running on shell V-Power.
Other toy. SUZUKI GSXR 1100

Synomenon

Post by Synomenon » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:29 pm

Alexr wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:50 am
Congratulations on your ingenuity, but are you sure that is safe? It obscures your view of the road rather a lot. I think in the UK that would not be seen as legal.
Karmalakas wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:01 pm
I sit higher than in this view so there's not much of an obstruction. In fact, with one of the mounts I got from Amazon that attaches with a suction cup and has an 18" arm, the phone sits higher than this does when it's suctioned to the windshield where it needs to go.

Dave D wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:48 pm
No hole drilled into the display. The only holes drilled are into that box that gets attached to the back of the display (link to it on Aliexpress is in the OP). The holes are so that the RAM Mounts 1" ball can be secured to the box.

Dave D

Post by Dave D » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:16 am

Synomenon wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:29 pm
Alexr wrote:
Karmalakas wrote:
I sit higher than in this view so there's not much of an obstruction. In fact, with one of the mounts I got from Amazon that attaches with a suction cup and has an 18" arm, the phone sits higher than this does when it's suctioned to the windshield where it needs to go.

Dave D wrote:
No hole drilled into the display. The only holes drilled are into that box that gets attached to the back of the display (link to it on Aliexpress is in the OP). The holes are so that the RAM Mounts 1" ball can be secured to the box.
This is the hole I mean..

AOku0jh-1.jpg

Hybrid Excel White Pearl....With no stick on plastic tat from China... Running on supermarket fuel...

Synomenon

Post by Synomenon » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:46 am

Dave D wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:16 am
Synomenon wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:29 pm
Alexr wrote:
Karmalakas wrote:

Dave D wrote:
This is the hole I mean..AOku0jh-1.jpg

That screw goes into the side of the "box" I linked to in the OP. The "box" wraps around the backside of the infotainment screen and has a storage cubby in it.