New 2021 C-HR model

All Toyota C-HR related discussions
Amigettingdone

New 2021 C-HR model

Post by Amigettingdone » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:07 am

Hi all.

Was looking at getting a C-HR, but I've been told that the 2020 model is no longer being made and there is no 2020 stock, so I would have to order the 'new' 2021 model. There is just one issue, and that's I can't find what the actual difference is between the 2020 model and this new 2021 model. Does anyone know the differences?

Many thanks

drabisan

Re: New 2021 C-HR model

Post by drabisan » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:29 am

It depends a lot on the market you are.
In Europe there's no update between 2020 to 2021. That if you don't consider GR Sport versions.
But in US differences are significant. From what I read they start getting Hybrid.
The best/reliable info you'll get it directly from Toyota. Dealers may be biased in convincing you to buy one.
In any case, you can't expect a downgrade in specs. It will be the same or slightly better. And a bit more expensive, maybe.

Amigettingdone

Post by Amigettingdone » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:03 pm

Hi.

Thanks for the reply. I spoke to a Toyota dealer who said the same thing, no 2021 version, they have updated the software and introduced the GR Sport, but apart from that, nothing. When I asked why the price rise, I was told its to do with increased Brexit costs (his words, not mine).

drabisan

Post by drabisan » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:36 pm

I won't be surprised if Brexit adds nothing on the bill. Paperwork costs. They streamlined process for producing cars in Turkey and selling it in EU, but who knows how long it will take to optimise the process for UK.
As far as I can see there's little to nothing added to prices in Ireland.
It may be lower specs to get LED lights or at least LED indicators. But this is simply wishful thinking on my side.

flyboy3

Post by flyboy3 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:14 pm

I had one dealer trying to rush me saying prices will rise Jan 1 and if the car isn't in the country before the Brexit experiment began I would be liable for any duty and tariffs . Did a bit of research after and found that wasn't going to be the case re Brexit tariffs- although to be fair with BoJo the clown huffing and puffing and delaying everything to the last minute it caused enough uncertainty. Ended up going through an online broker and got a better price via a local dealership.

Prices did rise on the 4th of Jan by about £700, but it seems this is usual price rise every year.

One thing I was told was that 2021 deliveries will have some noise making whistle at low speeds to warn pedestrians. Supposedly you won't hear it in the cabin.

The Australian GR Sport version has had a bit of front makeover : https://www.whichcar.com.au/car-news/20 ... r-gr-sport.

One thing I have noticed is that the chrome door scuff plates no longer seem to be available as an optional extra. I have ordered them for mine so will be a little annoyed if they don't arrive!!

devonaygo

Post by devonaygo » Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:03 am

Changes for MY21 are:
  • Improved safety - TSS2 ( Toyota safety sense 2 ) adding Lane trace assist and Full speed assist
  • AVAS ( Acoustic vehicle alert system )
  • Fully connected - Addition of DCM ( data communications module )
  • RDE2 compliance with addition of GPF ( gasoline particulate filter ) to 1.8 Hybrid
  • New 18" wheel design for Excel
  • Introduction of 1.8 & 2.0 GR sport
  • Dynamic & Orange edition models discontinued

flyboy3

Post by flyboy3 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:19 pm

Interesting devonaygo! I ordered mine late December and the dealer called me yesterday to say it's on the boat now and due around the 1st of March. Would that likely be a MY20 or MY21 model do you think? Wish I read this first before I spoke to her. She's on part time furlough so not back now late next week. Another dealer told me about the AVAS, but then he told me a few other things that were wrong too...

I've just gone onto the Toyota.co.uk site. The orange edition still appears as option at the moment. You can still go through and buy it online too. The colour editions tend to be a year thing so I wonder if they will replace it with a new colour soon.

I did the compare on the Excel vs GR Sport and noticed that the GR Sports has door scuff plates. These aren't available as an add on option anymore it seems. I think they were overpriced, but I still ordered them for my model as my old car has them.

I didn't see any mention of the DCM? What is it and what can you do with it?

I hadn't picked up on the design of the change of the wheels. I've ordered the Excel trim and liked the design before. The new one isn't too bad.

If I end up with a MY20 module, can it be upgraded to TSS2? And I've had a quick look to find out about what RDE2 is. All cars registered from Jan 21 must have it, but I don't know what that means in respect to the GPF filter. Couldn't see it mentioned on the Toyota website.

drabisan

Post by drabisan » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:57 pm

Lane trace assist sounds interesting. If my read is accurate, car will turn slightly by itself following the lanes. That would be an interesting and scary experience on highway, but it sounds like the right development.
Fully connected feature has been teased few years back by Toyota. Also one more aspect that makes so much sense! Especially when most (if not all of us) are connecting the phone to the car for charging if not for navigation. Next best thing would be a wireless charging area, with Android Auto over wifi. I don't mind plugging the phone, it charges much faster than any wireless charging, but for short trips would be much more convenient to have a place that uses wireless charging and a wireless "connected solution.
AVAS is a nice to have IMHO. You'll still have to pay attention and, let's be honest, a bunch of people will just walk in an unpredictable manner no matter if you drive a tracktor (3-4yo reference from TopGear) or a quiet fully electric car. I don't believe those people can learn to pay attention, but at least it will save some drivers from being suit.

Walt

Post by Walt » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:56 pm

Lane guidance on 2018 dynamic steers you back in if you don't respond to audible warning.
Nebula blue dynamic.
Sports pack.wind deflectors.mudflaps etc.
With interior blue leds. Running on shell V-Power.
Other toy. SUZUKI GSXR 1100

devonaygo

Post by devonaygo » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:28 pm

flyboy3 wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:19 pm

I've just gone onto the Toyota.co.uk site. The orange edition still appears as option at the moment. You can still go through and buy it online too. The colour editions tend to be a year thing so I wonder if they will replace it with a new colour soon.

According to a bulletin dated 04/01/21 there are approx. 325 Orange editions in UK stock

I did the compare on the Excel vs GR Sport and noticed that the GR Sports has door scuff plates. These aren't available as an add on option anymore it seems. I think they were overpriced, but I still ordered them for my model as my old car has them.

GR sport gets "GR" scuff plates as standard spec, other models they are an accessory fit

I didn't see any mention of the DCM? What is it and what can you do with it?

DCM is a device giving a data connection from the car back to Toyota this add "find my car", "Send to car" and Improved Hybrid coaching via MyT ( other features are coming

If I end up with a MY20 module, can it be upgraded to TSS2? And I've had a quick look to find out about what RDE2 is. All cars registered from Jan 21 must have it, but I don't know what that means in respect to the GPF filter. Couldn't see it mentioned on the Toyota website.

No you couldn't update a MY20 to gain TSS2 it is new hardware, the new RDE 2 regulations limit the NOx emissions allowed and the 1.8 Hybrid needs the addition of a GPF filter to reduce the NOx