Rusty discs

All Toyota C-HR related discussions
Meldrew
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:41 pm
Location: Helmsley York

Rusty discs

Post by Meldrew » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:33 pm

I have a two year old CHR and have just had the second service. The garage have advised me to replace the rear discs due to rust. On questioning why this has happened, the garage explained that the hybrid braking system does not use the brake pads as much due to the engine braking system and that I should be braking harder to get the brake pads having more contact with the discs and this in turn stopping the build up of rust.This also happened on my Prius and Toyota replaced the discs under warranty. I am going to keep the old disc and take it up with Toyota. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue. :?:
Excell Metal stream.1.8 Hybrid Protection Pack, Space saver wheel, Dash Cam

Anixie
Posts: 153
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:59 am
Location: Geel, Belgium

Re: Rusty discs

Post by Anixie » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:45 am

MJine do look rusty, but I try to clean em once in a while by reaally braking :)
Ruby-Flare C-HR C-Lub Hybrid version, black roof, JBL sound system

Jools74
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:50 pm
Location: Cornwall

Re: Rusty discs

Post by Jools74 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:17 am

If that is the case with the braking system, it seems badly designed and not fit for purpose. Seems unreasonable to go around braking hard just to clean the disc surface

drabisan
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:16 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Rusty discs

Post by drabisan » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:55 pm

Jools74 wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:17 am
If that is the case with the braking system, it seems badly designed and not fit for purpose. Seems unreasonable to go around braking hard just to clean the disc surface
At the same time you have to keep in mind break pads last much more longer than to a normal car.
It's a trade off. Ideally disks should be more resistant to rust than normal. It's not the case here, they are very ordinary.

User avatar
GoonerKev
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:35 am
Location: Reigate, Surrey

Re: Rusty discs

Post by GoonerKev » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:57 am

Meldrew wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:33 pm
I have a two year old CHR and have just had the second service. The garage have advised me to replace the rear discs due to rust. On questioning why this has happened, the garage explained that the hybrid braking system does not use the brake pads as much due to the engine braking system and that I should be braking harder to get the brake pads having more contact with the discs and this in turn stopping the build up of rust.This also happened on my Prius and Toyota replaced the discs under warranty. I am going to keep the old disc and take it up with Toyota. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue. :?:
Also have that problem, waiting to hear back.
Toyota C-HR 1.2T Excel 5dr CVT AWD, Vespa PX, Scomadi TL200
Honda Silverwing, Yamaha Virago XV535DX

User avatar
DutCHR
Posts: 618
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 4:39 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: Rusty discs

Post by DutCHR » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:14 pm

Fact is that rust on the rear discs can be prevented by hard braking few times a week.
2017 C-HR Hybrid Metalstream Grey --- Genuine JDM styled and also a lot of sh*t from China
2019 Corolla TS 2.0 Hybrid --- 180HP Girlpower!

Anixie
Posts: 153
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:59 am
Location: Geel, Belgium

Re: Rusty discs

Post by Anixie » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:44 pm

extra plus, slightly rusty brakes better than smooth.... More friction..
Ruby-Flare C-HR C-Lub Hybrid version, black roof, JBL sound system

User avatar
Karmalakas
Posts: 1443
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:45 pm
Location: Lithuania
Contact:

Re: Rusty discs

Post by Karmalakas » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:42 pm

Anixie wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:44 pm
extra plus, slightly rusty brakes better than smooth.... More friction..
How does that work?
I was taught, that more surface in contact - more friction. Rust makes makes less contact surface.
HSD in Earth Bronze (a.k.a. Havana Brown)

Anixie
Posts: 153
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:59 am
Location: Geel, Belgium

Re: Rusty discs

Post by Anixie » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:05 am

rougher surface, so more grip ? Not true when rust \i starting to flake off of course
Ruby-Flare C-HR C-Lub Hybrid version, black roof, JBL sound system

adn1962
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:03 pm
Location: Solihull, West Midlands

Re: Rusty discs

Post by adn1962 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:21 pm

If it’s under warranty after 2 years, I would argue discs should last at least 4 years or 40k miles.
Metalstream Excel 2018. Mud flaps, dash cam, Bumper corner protection, chrome boot and sill protectors, door handle protection film, Smoked Toyota wind deflectors, Spare wheel kit.
Bike - 2018 Honda Forza 300, touring screen, top box and Puig handguards.

Post Reply