Parking assistant

All Toyota C-HR related discussions
raija

Parking assistant

Post by raija » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:46 pm

I have had a CHR for about 3 years (model 2017) and have never used a parking assistant. :oops:
There is little use for it here in the countryside, but I would still like to test it. Can it be trusted?
Toyota CH-R Hybrid 2017 with Toyota Touch 2 and Go & miniature English bull terrier

Alexr

Re: Parking assistant

Post by Alexr » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:59 pm

raija wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:46 pm
I have had a CHR for about 3 years (model 2017) and have never used a parking assistant. :oops:
There is little use for it here in the countryside, but I would still like to test it. Can it be trusted?
Yes I think so, but bear in mind it does not control the speed or braking of the car - that is up to you, it just controls the steering. You can always stop the car and switch it off if you are worried at any time.
All the best
Alex
------------------------
Loving driving my C-HR Excel Hybrid in Metal Stream :P

drabisan

Post by drabisan » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:50 pm

Most people are able to park faster. Not necessarily better, but faster.
It does a great job in placing the car at equal distance of other cars and that's great in perpendicular parking.
Pre 2020 models are no breaking by themselves! Some 2020 specs have something called "break assist" (or similar wording) that breaks the car when it feels there can be incident. But it breaks hard, really hard, and it's not the recommended way to use park assist. But at least it save you for bumping the car 😉
The bad aspects: it's fairly complicated how to activate it for parallel and perpendicular parking. Unless you use it often, by next week you forget. And it's scary!

Dommer

Post by Dommer » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:59 pm

Can someone please describe the process to use it. I have read the manual before anyone asks. I find it really confusing.

Press the button and it starts to search, then it says select mode maybe? If someone can describe how to bay park and how to parallel park I would really really appreciate it.

drabisan

Post by drabisan » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:53 pm

TL;DR would be:
- parallel parking, drive under 30km/h, at ~1m from other cars and press the button once. Car will start beeping when it find a spot. Central display will give you the instructions.
- perpendicular, same driving style but press 2 times. Or stop in front of a bay and press once. Last one may be a newer release.

Disclaimer: don't quote me on this. I've used the system only few times, less than 10 în 3 years 😀

Dommer

Post by Dommer » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:00 pm

drabisan wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:53 pm
TL;DR would be:
- parallel parking, drive under 30km/h, at ~1m from other cars and press the button once. Car will start beeping when it find a spot. Central display will give you the instructions.
- perpendicular, same driving style but press 2 times. Or stop in front of a bay and press once. Last one may be a newer release.

Disclaimer: don't quote me on this. I've used the system only few times, less than 10 în 3 years 😀
Cheers mate. I have a 2020 model. If anyone agrees or disagrees with this let me know. Thanks.

Alexr

Post by Alexr » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:08 pm

Dommer wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:00 pm
drabisan wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:53 pm
TL;DR would be:

Cheers mate. I have a 2020 model. If anyone agrees or disagrees with this let me know. Thanks.
Just that you use the turn signal lever ( indicator switch) to switch between parking in spaces to the left and spaces to the right.
All the best
Alex
------------------------
Loving driving my C-HR Excel Hybrid in Metal Stream :P

IceColdCrash

Post by IceColdCrash » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:03 pm

Pressing the button once and indicator to the side you want to park and it looks for parallel space
Pressing the button twice and indicator and it searches for perpendicular soace
You can also use the parking assist to get out of the parking space 😁
15/03/2019 - 1.8 Hybrid

Dommer

Post by Dommer » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:25 pm

IceColdCrash wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:03 pm
Pressing the button once and indicator to the side you want to park and it looks for parallel space
Pressing the button twice and indicator and it searches for perpendicular soace
You can also use the parking assist to get out of the parking space 😁
Is the indicator still necessary on the 2020 model?

adn1962

Post by adn1962 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:21 pm

You have to activate it pretty early. Use indicator to select side to park also. Sometimes though it just gives up and says Cancelled.

Try it in a car park first to get used to it.
Metalstream Excel 2018. Mud flaps, dash cam, Bumper corner protection, chrome boot and sill protectors, door handle protection film, Smoked Toyota wind deflectors, Spare wheel kit.
Bike - 2018 Honda Forza 300, touring screen, top box and Puig handguards.