Battery Issues

All Toyota C-HR related discussions
Deleted User 1756

Battery Issues

Post by Deleted User 1756 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:21 pm

Hi folks, hope you're all well.

As is the case for most at the moment during lockdown, I havent been using my 2 year old 1.8 litre Hybrid CHR more than possibly 5 miles per week at most.

Result being on 3 occasions this week had the AA come out to my house due to flat battery, in fact on day 3 when the AA guy put his rapid charger on the battery, it was flat again by the time he had gone to his van and walked back again!

Must admit I was surprised at how this lockdown has affected the battery, given I have frequently in the past left my car at airport carparks for 2 weeks, returned then car started first time.

Anyway, this post is certainly not intended as a whinge post, but as a helpful post for any other owners.

Anyway Toyota assistance were great and organised a battery replacement for me under warranty.

I wanted to share with you a great gadget I bought off Amazon which will allow you to easily jump start your CHR battery wherever you are you charge this gadget up on an ordinary phone usb charger, and it will hold the charge for up to a year, it will give you around 10 jump starts off a full charge and has great reviews. Here is the link

NOCO Boost Sport GB20 500 Amp...

They do make several other more expensive higher spec versions but this was adequate for me anyway.

Toyota UK have a Blog on their site with further advice.

Anyway, I hope this information is helpful to you all, that is my one and only intention.

Look after yourselves everybody.

;)

Dennismc

Re: Battery Issues

Post by Dennismc » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:50 pm

I just had my battery replaced under warranty.
the car is four months old

drabisan

Post by drabisan » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:08 pm

Let's look at the bright side: it's 17 April, how many times you filled the tank this month? 😉

Kiss u

Post by Kiss u » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:44 pm

I have also had my battery replaced under warranty although unlike yours mine was just under 3 years old.

Deleted User 1756

Post by Deleted User 1756 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:56 pm

According to the AA there are two types of battery, a Bosch one or Exide. He had to fit Exide, I think that might be not quite as good as a Bosch (me being a huge Bosch fan)
Anyway feel better having that jump starter gadget with me

Toyota UK recommend running it in ready mode on the drive for an hour each week if not using, during this lock down.

PS: Still in love with this car 2 years on

adn1962

Post by adn1962 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:03 pm

Car setting is to continually look for key signal for 5 days, then it stops searching. This uses car battery to the extent it will reduce voltage.
I’ve changed my setting to 2 days. This may help with battery life.
Dealer can change this setting or via Carista.
Metalstream Excel 2018. Mud flaps, dash cam, Bumper corner protection, chrome boot and sill protectors, door handle protection film, Smoked Toyota wind deflectors, Spare wheel kit.
Bike - 2018 Honda Forza 300, touring screen, top box and Puig handguards.

DutCHR

Post by DutCHR » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:51 pm

How long you can park your car without starting problems depends also on the HV battery. Best is to park it with full HV battery.
And if your car is equipped with alarm system or not. With alarm system the battery will be drained faster.

To start again after a drain not much power is needed. The C-HR only needs to start up all ECU electronics so a small 12v battery can do the job when you want to jumpstart it. When the green READY light is lit, the HV battery will take care again of your 12v battery and recharging it. There is no alternator on the C-HR as known on common cars that recharging the 12v battery.

There are solar-powered trickle chargers on the market that can be connected direct to the 12v battery. That can help to keep your C-HR 12v battery charged enough to start after a while. If you have garage or driveway then you can maybe use a powered trickle charger also.
Dont use connection by the sigarette lighter because there is no connection with battery when the car is powered off.
2017 C-HR Hybrid Metalstream Grey --- Genuine JDM styled and also a lot of sh*t from China
2019 Corolla TS 2.0 Hybrid --- 180HP Girlpower!

HRUSSELL78

Post by HRUSSELL78 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:30 pm

My 2018 CHR won't start. I managed to get in it, when I hit the ignition button it kind of started then everything went off. The clock comes on when I press the ignition button but nothing else happens, now I can't even lock it. The dealership is closed due to COVID, can anyone help?

smartly

Post by smartly » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:27 pm

You need to charge it, is it on a drive or in a garage with electric? If on road you may have a problem.
2020 (20 ) Toyota C-HR 2.0 Hybrid Orange Edition

2018 ( 68 ) Toyota C-HR 1.8 Hybrid in Nebula Blue, Dynamic with Premium Pack

Rosie60

Post by Rosie60 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:01 pm

You can jump start it.
Upgraded to 2020 Orange edition with protection pack, supaguard, and dashcam.
Previously owned a 2017 Excel in Tyrol Silver with protection pack, Supaguard treatment, protection pack and boot liner.