Orange edition

All Toyota C-HR related discussions
drabisan

Orange edition

Post by drabisan » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:42 pm

Yeap! Just collected it few hours ago!
No pictures - it's just like in the marketing materials!
To the delight of the dealer, it came faster than expected and it's the first on in Ireland - for few days, there are couple more orders.

First impression: rims are spectacular! The car looks absolutely cool, but the rims are really great!
Finally the headlights are what every single car should have! It's very weird when they turn on the search for right position it goes up and down few times. But it's a great focused light, strong and I'm sure nobody will complain they are too bright!
Driving wheel feedback - oh yeah! I think they nailed it! It was fake on my previous C-HR, you could get used to it in no time. But this time it feels much more precise and feedback it's much more real.
Engine: out of curiosity I had a look. It looks messy, the 1.8 one looked so much tight up. But who cares? I'm opening it just to feed the it with washing fluid!
Noise: WOW! This is the big deal! No transmission, no engine noise! None whatsoever! Absolutely impressing! And it's not only compared to my previous C-HR! It's super quite! Some better tires would make it even better; just it's Ireland and it's a bit crazy to have summer tires. I may walk this path someday :)
Acceleration: not too much to say - it has 50% more power. It's fun and it will become even better after some km when I can push it a bit more! It is great!!!
Multimedia unit - 9 speakers, different configuration than my previous one, that also had JBL. Sounds really good! Nothing mind blowing, but good! Far better responsiveness - it just change the menus like it should be, no useless delays.
And it finally has Android Auto! From playing music to navigation - this just makes total sense! It's fast, it there and absolutely easy to use, Assistant is there willing to do the chores. Simply great!

What I don't get, because there are those too:
- why put electric controls for the seats only for driver?
- booths is smaller, not by a lot and there's good space underneath the "cover" - I had a good setup to go to the airport, now I have to rethink it.
- headlights are not turning on before you move the car. Nothing crazy, but why? I don't have a dark garage and I don't know if lights won't turn on when it's dark before moving the car.
- connecting the multimedia unit to internet is complicated. Not a deal breaker, you get what you need from Android Auto, but it's not intuitive to connect it to home WiFi or to phone hotspot.

Long post - some more observations as they'll come.

drabisan

Re: Orange edition

Post by drabisan » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:47 pm

And pedal to the metal now totally makes sense!
There's a super short kick from downshifting and there it goes!
Normal driving is no different than the normal CVT. Smooth as usual, significantly less noisy.

tubbzzzz

Post by tubbzzzz » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:25 am

Was told I had 1st one in UK on 3rd Jan
Anyone get one before if so from what area?

drabisan

Post by drabisan » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:06 pm

You're hard to beat!
I've signed the deal early November and I was told mid February to early March. But it's Ireland and when they told me it will be late January I was happy!
What are your thoughts? You had 3 more weeks with it while I'm 3 days.
Funny fact: I went to buy food for my cats. When I got off the shop there was a guy and a lady like starring to my car. When I unlocked it he said "that's a spectacular car". Thanks and all.
The guy went to his huge Merc C series with a 192 license plate. That means ~6 months old car!
It's not like I bought the car for bragging, I can't care less about what people think about the car! I bought it for me! But it's fun to see people just staring at it...

tubbzzzz

Post by tubbzzzz » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:59 pm

I love it
Getting around 57 mpg regardless of how I drive it
I had a Verso and a Rav4 previously
Disappointing the doors don't auto lock and I was under the impression it would have heated mirrors also finding it always looks dirty especially the plastic areas on the doors
It certainly turns heads though :)

smartiepants

Post by smartiepants » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:21 pm

Another order here for the orange version, had an extended test drive today and have to agree with the others that have also test driven or owned to new version, love the new sat head unit, much better imho, quoting end of March for me

drabisan

Post by drabisan » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:39 am

@tubbzzzz I had Toyota to install mud flaps. Small enough not to alter the design but very useful in avoiding tires throwing mud on the car.

Subota Boy

Post by Subota Boy » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:33 am

Great report there!! Roll on March 2nd!!

Do you still have to flick through the menus for the sport mode? I would not think it would be much needed with the 2 litre, but on the Corolla you get a separate button by the gear lever.
Our Toyota family consists of C-HR Excel 2 litre in decuma grey, Toyota IQ, Toyota GT86

drabisan

Post by drabisan » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:02 pm

As far as I can tell it still requires a right, click, down, click.
I didn't try it yet though! I just went for normal and pedal to the metal makes me smile!

kelvin66

Post by kelvin66 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:18 pm

Here is the Carwow review, if you are interested:
Dynamic Hybrid in Decumar Grey.