12v Battery troubles

All Toyota C-HR related discussions
Jayschr

12v Battery troubles

Post by Jayschr » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:09 pm

Hi, I'd welcome any comments on a problem with my 12v battery <2017 CH-R 1.8 hybrid Dynamic>. Early this summer I found that the battery was going flat if the car sat unused for 3-4 days (I work away a lot). Mr T had a good look at the battery in July (by which time I was fearful of parking anywhere I couldn't get jump leads to) and declared it fully fit. I don't do a lot of miles and appreciate that the battery may not be receiving a full charge on my regular short journeys (I'm blessed with a pleasant 4 mile trip to work), so I started doing weekend runs of 50 miles plus purely to charge the battery (not very green and I'm not happy doing it, not least the time and fuel that it wastes). So I am looking to see if others can suggest ways of over-coming the problem as today the car has come back from Mr T after spending 4 days in his garage for checks and he still declared the battery fully fit and nothing more can be done.
Can I upgrade to a better battery that can hold a greater charge; is there some sort of trickle charger that an be easily hooked up when I park the car up, is there something blindingly obvious that I am missing?

Toybaru1

Re: 12v Battery troubles

Post by Toybaru1 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:22 pm

Not something as simple as the vanity mirror illumination or boot light staying on ?

Karmalakas

Post by Karmalakas » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:40 pm

Someone here had same problem. I think they just replaced the 12V battery and that was it.
HSD in Earth Bronze (a.k.a. Havana Brown)

Jayschr

Post by Jayschr » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:35 pm

Quote

Post by Toybaru1 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:22 pm

Not something as simple as the vanity mirror illumination or boot light staying on ?

A good idea to check and I wish it were as simple as that - sadly not, as I have already checked.

Rosie60

Post by Rosie60 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:15 pm

When mine didn’t start after 3 weeks parked up it was suggested the sat nav should be disconnected. Most of my journeys are also 4 miles and a comment was made that I didn’t do enough miles. My husband has a trickle charger which he uses occasionally on his Merc when the stop/start stops working because he also doesn’t do many miles. Toyota wouldn’t replace my battery they said it was fine
Upgraded to 2020 Orange edition with protection pack, supaguard, and dashcam.
Previously owned a 2017 Excel in Tyrol Silver with protection pack, Supaguard treatment, protection pack and boot liner.

Walt

Post by Walt » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:36 pm

Had issue with mine going flat after 3 days of not being used. Took it bk to dealer. They changed battery as after testing couldn't find any power leakage. So nothing draining battery. Since they replaced battery. Left in airport car park for 11 days and started 1st push of button. They said they had issues with gt86 batteries and all had to be upgraded. So get dealer to replace battery.
Nebula blue dynamic.
Sports pack.wind deflectors.mudflaps etc.
With interior blue leds. Running on shell V-Power.
Other toy. SUZUKI GSXR 1100

Anixie

Post by Anixie » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:29 am

GT86 did have very well known battery issues (got me stranded...) but is that the same as in a C-HR ? , since they knew about the weakness years ago ... They should not be still using the same wonky battery
Ruby-Flare C-HR C-Lub Hybrid version, black roof, JBL sound system

Africatwin

Post by Africatwin » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:20 pm

Check the dutch forum, over here also quite a few drivers having problems after 3 days up till 3 weeks...

GurneY1958

Post by GurneY1958 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:57 pm

Hi, I bought my CH-R brand new 16 months ago, since then I have broken down four times all with a flat, completely dead battery. I have had three new batteries put on and still the problem exists. On a brand new car of this age your dont expect to keep breaking down. Surely Toyota can supply reliable batteries as this problem makes the CH-R seem totally unreliable. I'd like to hear any others with the same issue.

Anixie

Post by Anixie » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:30 pm

Got my car 6 months ago. Drive it far less than expected (change of jobs...) so it now stands for a week quite often. Not a single issue, starts every time. No alarm system though That was sometimes the cause on the GT86 in the UK..
Ruby-Flare C-HR C-Lub Hybrid version, black roof, JBL sound system