Toyota C-HR Forum banner

Super Unleaded

10K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Subota Boy 
#1 ·
Got my new Dynamic Hybrid Lease Car yesterday. Does anybody use Super Unleaded in your hybrid, and have you noticed any improvement?
Or should I stick to normal petrol?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I am not sure on this one. I normally use Asda, but I occasionally put 97 octane in (every 6 mths or so). I find it gives a quieter ride and sometimes the mpg seems better, but not always.

#6 ·
I just use ordinary unleaded, get very good mpg with it. I can think that with super unleaded it may have something in it rather like Red X but why pay a lot more as it is nearer to the price of diesel?

I am saving quite a bit of money after ditching my diesel Nissan Qashqai for the C-HR not only on mpg but also sticking to using regular unleaded I am saving money at the pumps.

Regards
Nigel.

#7 ·
I've always used shell v power for yrs now. In my saab before chr and use in my gsxr 1100. So cost is normal to me. In fact the difference between the saab doing 20mpg. And the chr around 55 to 65 mpg. I'm actually saving. Lol. But I know that the v power has 30% more cleaning additives than normal shell unleaded. And for the extra fiver a month. I'll keep using it.

https://www.shell.co.uk/motorist/shell-fuels/shell-v-power/shell-v-power-unleaded.html

#8 ·
Feel free, but thats a bit like continuing to drink Evian instead of Spa, since you are used to it.... I had to use super premium stuff in my previous car (a tuned/fettled/ modified GT86) but that was because it was remapped to use 98 octane only. It would have issues with detonation on 95 octane.

#9 ·
if super unleaded is 98, then yes. I use nothing but that. I feel like I noticed a huge increase in MPG, but I am told that is likely not true that it had helped as much as I thought.

I filled with 95 once and I was getting around 50MPG. Once I started using 98 I am getting closer to 62. I have not stopped putting 98 since.

#10 ·
Interesting thread this. After more than 2.5 years of using 95 unleaded, I have gone over to 97 super unleaded. Mostly both grades bought from Sainsburys. SUL is 6p per litre more expensive, so approx 27p per gallon. So at 60mpg that is costing me an extra 0.5p per mile.

Any increase in MPG? Well I am doing a non-scientific experiment, which is ongoing. Last four fill ups on unleaded 95 revealed 58.7, 59.7, 57.7, 58.8 mpg.

Last three fill ups on super 97 reveal 64.7, 64.1 and 63.0 mpg.

Tank is brimmed each time I fill up, and the test has taken place since April. Journeys undertaken have been very routine, and of the type undertaken using unleaded 95. I have ignored the computer readings from the car, other than the mileage travelled.

If my non-scientific experiment tells me anything then, at the moment, I might be saving a little bit of money using super. It is enough to make me want to continue with the experiment for a little longer until the weather changes and it gets cold.

Make of that what you will.

#11 ·
Hi Subota Boy, interesting to see what your mileage difference is between unleaded and SUL, what would interest me also is for those trips without SUL and those with ordinary unleaded along with your computer readings were as well. The only reason is just out of curiosity, mainly to see what percentage your computer is showing against actual mpg as mine seems to be +2mpg which is rather strange as others have written of a wider gap i.e. 10%.

Also it would give some idea as to how much variation on real mpg v computer with other forum users C-HR Hybrids. The last time I actually checked was quite a few months ago.

Regards
Nigel.

#12 ·
I always note the cars reading to compare it to the calculated readings. It is always more. Over 2.5 years I average about 55mpg and it is always optimistic by between 1and 7 mpg, averaging about 4 mpg high - ie about 8% .
I think the variations are due to me not filling to the exact same level every time.

#13 ·
Subota Boy said:
Interesting thread this. After more than 2.5 years of using 95 unleaded, I have gone over to 97 super unleaded. Mostly both grades bought from Sainsburys. SUL is 6p per litre more expensive, so approx 27p per gallon. So at 60mpg that is costing me an extra 0.5p per mile.

Any increase in MPG? Well I am doing a non-scientific experiment, which is ongoing. Last four fill ups on unleaded 95 revealed 58.7, 59.7, 57.7, 58.8 mpg.

Last three fill ups on super 97 reveal 64.7, 64.1 and 63.0 mpg.

Tank is brimmed each time I fill up, and the test has taken place since April. Journeys undertaken have been very routine, and of the type undertaken using unleaded 95. I have ignored the computer readings from the car, other than the mileage travelled.

If my non-scientific experiment tells me anything then, at the moment, I might be saving a little bit of money using super. It is enough to make me want to continue with the experiment for a little longer until the weather changes and it gets cold.

Make of that what you will.
Looking at your figures if you take the adv extra miles gained per gallon as 5.2....For the extra 27p...

#14 ·
Dave. As Alex says about the computer, I'm afraid I ignored the readings. I know on some trips it tells me I am getting over 70mpg, but I felt the tank brimming was the better method. I always take my time over the last bit, due to the flat nature of the tank on our cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.