Steering Wheel Locks for C-HR

All Toyota C-HR related discussions
Smuddell

Steering Wheel Locks for C-HR

Post by Smuddell » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:56 pm

With all the news about an increase in the theft of cars due to thieves exploiting keyless systems, do any other forum members have a visible deterrent such as a steering wheel lock? If so I wondered what types fit the C-HR because while "Stoplock" gets good reviews, according to it's website, none of the Stoplock models fit the C-HR!

And a secondary question, have any forum members actually had their C-HR stolen through their keyless system?
Toyota C-HR Dynamic Hybrid - Metal Stream with black roof. Delivered January 2017.

asinrute

Re: Steering Wheel Locks for C-HR

Post by asinrute » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:26 pm

Unlike some keyless cars, it is very easy to turn off the signal from your key. Hold down the lock key and at the same time press the unlock key quickly twice, look at the led on the key when it has flashed four times release the lock key and the signal will be turned off. If you want to check it has worked go to your car with key in your pocket, and check the keyless system isn’t working. Just press either key and it will work again.
Toyota C-HR Dynamic Hybrid ,Metal Stream with Black Roof, Leather and Running boards

raija

Post by raija » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:53 pm

Another way is to keep the key at home in a tin can.

In order for thieves to break into a keyless car, the signal from the key must be reflected and amplified. If the key is stored in a tin can, the signal cannot be captured because the tin can is practically a Faraday cage. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

If you want to try it out, put some paper (or cotton wool etc.) in the tin can to prevent the key from touching the walls, put the jar in your pocket and try to open the car door as usual.
Toyota CH-R Hybrid 2017 with Toyota Touch 2 and Go & miniature English bull terrier

Smuddell

Post by Smuddell » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:00 pm

Thank you asinrute for the instructions how to deactivate the keyless facility.

Raija, I do keep my key in a Faraday pouch overnight when at home, but it’s a bit of an inconvenience to keep it in a pouch 24/7. I know you could argue it would be even more of an inconvenience if my car was nickel!!!

I was also researching steering wheel locks to see if they were a viable option.
Toyota C-HR Dynamic Hybrid - Metal Stream with black roof. Delivered January 2017.

raija

Post by raija » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:17 pm

Smuddell,

I see. There are not so many "self-employed" people here in Finland (at least not yet). :lol:
Toyota CH-R Hybrid 2017 with Toyota Touch 2 and Go & miniature English bull terrier

Walt

Post by Walt » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:59 pm

Smuddell wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:00 pm
Thank you asinrute for the instructions how to deactivate the keyless facility.

Raija, I do keep my key in a Faraday pouch overnight when at home, but it’s a bit of an inconvenience to keep it in a pouch 24/7. I know you could argue it would be even more of an inconvenience if my car was nickel!!!

I was also researching steering wheel locks to see if they were a viable option.
Its insured. Also proof more of a pain having to put a secondary lock on and off everytime you get in and out the car. And then storing it. Specially if your carrying passengers. Just keep key away from door. As it seems the single only has a short range
Nebula blue dynamic.
Sports pack.wind deflectors.mudflaps etc.
With interior blue leds. And carbon addon bits. Running on shell V-Power.

smartly

Post by smartly » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:40 pm

If blocking the key with a tin / pouch don't forget the spare :)
2018 ( 68 ) Toyota C-HR 1.8 Hybrid in Nebula Blue, Dynamic with Premium Pack

Karmalakas

Post by Karmalakas » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:59 am

asinrute wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:26 pm
when it has flashed four times release the lock key and the signal will be turned off
You don't have to wait for flashes to end. You can release as soon as you pressed unlock second time - it still flashes four times and signal is off.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/puGAFxZeGp4EhXBt5
HSD in Earth Bronze (a.k.a. Havana Brown)

asinrute

Post by asinrute » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:21 am

In order for thieves to break into a keyless car, the signal from the key must be reflected and amplified. If the key is stored in a tin can, the signal cannot be captured because the tin can is practically a Faraday cage.
I tried this, but when I tested it by walking up to the car with the keys in a tin in my pocket I Could still unlock the car wirelessly. If in doubt test your own tin with the keys in it , or even easier turn the signal off as in my previous post
Toyota C-HR Dynamic Hybrid ,Metal Stream with Black Roof, Leather and Running boards

kelvin66

Post by kelvin66 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:48 am

Or you could just disable the keyless feature in the vehicle settings menu... but you will have to open the car with the fob and keep it by the START button to start the car...
Dynamic Hybrid in Decumar Grey.

Return to “Main Toyota C-HR chat”