Definitive answer on Apple Carplay?

All Toyota C-HR related discussions
Ikoth

Definitive answer on Apple Carplay?

Post by Ikoth » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:07 pm

Hi there,

can anyone please confirm, or otherwise, if the UK version of the 2019 C-HR does support Apple Carplay?

C-HR is on my shortlist, and lack of Carplay would be a deal breaker for me.

Thanks,

I.

devonaygo

Re: Definitive answer on Apple Carplay?

Post by devonaygo » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:40 pm

At present there is no information on any changes for 2019 CH-R in the UK.

BenD

Post by BenD » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:36 pm

Nop ..!!!
It can be got on some Aygos .

Pity !!

Ikoth

Post by Ikoth » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:53 pm

Thanks guys. Even though I'm gutted.

Giannis-CHR

Post by Giannis-CHR » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:15 am

There are some workarounds to 'approximate' the CarPlay experience. I'm assuming the main reason why you want CarPlay is for Google Maps. Otherwise, the phone app and SMS on Toyota Touch 2 with Go work reasonably well. Siri works too and you don't need to press any buttons (it works even if your car doesn't have Touch 2 with Go Plus). Just say Hey Siri call XXX or play XXX song and the car switches to voice recognition mode automatically and Siri talks to you via the car's speakers.

So,

-You need to have set up not only bluetooth but also personal hotspot. You need only do this once.
-You need to remove the option for the car to prompt you to accept network charges. Just an extra step less every time you start the engine.
-You can use the My Toyota app on your iPhone to schedule your journey. This uses Google Maps so the experience is reasonably OK (but it's not as good as the Google Maps app, truth be told). You can search for place, just like you do on Google Maps, instead of having to enter full address.
-When you enter the car, you can download the journey onto your Touch 2 with Go (downloading the journey takes some steps, although once it was done automatically - if anyone can tell me how this happened I'd be grateful)

That way you avoid having to enter addresses, street numbers and post codes manually, which is the whole point of CarPlay.

Additionally, since you're using personal hotspot, you can search for POIs directly on Touch 2, (e.g. look up a restaurant by its name, rather than typing addresses), and it will search via Google right within the map. But it's slow and not very good.

Android users seem to have an advantage, because of something called 'mirrorlink' (Android Auto is not supported either), but this seems to be a workaround and not a straightforward thing. If done correctly, it simply displays the screen of the Android phone on Touch 2, so it's not optimised or anything. It's not guaranteed to work on all phones and OS versions of Android.

Other than that, the car rocks.
C-HR C-ENTER 1.2T FWD 6M/T

jdg

Post by jdg » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:51 am

I recently contacted Toyota UK and this was the reply I got:

Thank you for your email regarding Mirror Link, hopefully the following information will help clarify a few points.

Mirrorlink is an Android compatible feature that allows compatible handsets to display approved apps from your phone on your cars infotainment system.

Mirrorlink is owned by a US Company and has no affiliation with Toyota.

Mirrorlink has 2 versions currently (1.0 and 1.1), and a 3rd (1.2) is being developed and as such we have no timings or details of what it will contain or do. No version is compatible with the others. For instance if your car was version 1.0 and your phone was 1.1, they would not work together.

Apple do not currently support Mirrorlink.

The Toyota Touch 2 with Go system on software versions 4.1.1, 4.2.0, 4.2.1, 4.3.0, 4.4.1 and 4.5.0 are Mirrorlink 1.0 compatible.

The Toyota Touch 2 with Go system on software versions 6 or later as well as the X-Nav and X-Toyota are Mirrorlink 1.1 compatible.

The only phone that was compatible with the Mirrorlink 1.0 system was the Samsung Galaxy S3.

Most modern Android (post 2015) phones running Android software 6 or later are compatible with Mirrorlink 1.1.

To use Mirrorlink with your car you need to have the phone connected via bluetooth with the car, and then connected via USB.

If your phone is Mirrorlink 1.0 you will need to download the Samsung DriveLink App from the App Store. If your phone is Mirrorlink 1.1 compatible you can enable Mirrorlink within the settings menu of the phone.

Once Mirrorlink is enabled you will be able to access the compatible Apps on your phone via the infotainment screen. To view compatible phones and applications please visit:

www.mirrorlink.com as very few apps are compatible, and if no compatible app is installed on your phone all you will see is a blank screen.

Please note that Mirrorlink also stops you using your phone whilst the phone is connected with the car.

Mirrorlink will only let you use certain Navigation Apps, a limited selection of Music apps, and allow you to see text messages, bluetooth music and receive phone cars on your car. Most, if not all, of these functions are already available on your cars infotainment system.

I hope this information has been useful and thank you for contacting Toyota.

Kind regards

Shibu Jayakumar
First Line Customer Support
Toyota (GB) PLC
Distributor of vehicles, parts and accessories for the UK

Simongw

Post by Simongw » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:24 pm

“Hello, Simon. MY19 C-HRs are available with the Toyota Touch 2 Multimedia system for audio and phone connectivity. It does not have Apple CarPlay or Android Auto, only the Aygo has this functionality. Thanks.”
From Toyota on social media today, responding to my question.
1.8 hybrid Icon in Havana brown, with tech pack

Return to “Main Toyota C-HR chat”