LED headlights are terrible. Advice please

All Toyota C-HR related discussions
ans

Re: LED headlights are terrible. Advice please

Post by ans » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:07 pm

i think the led lights are excellent no problems with them being to dim
Toyota C-HR Dynamic Hybrid ,Metal Stream with Black roof.
Mudflaps,LED interior lights
with Chrome extras.
Wind deflectors,Running boards
Incar Wifi
Ordered SEPT 2016 arrived Jan 2017
https://www.chrforums.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=965
Mercedes slk 350

devonaygo

Post by devonaygo » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:57 pm

The headlight level for dipped beam can be adjusted like any other head lamp using the manual adjusters on the back of the lamp, but it needs to be done correctly on a calibrated headlamp beam setter, any MOT test centre will have this and this keeps you legal and prevents you blinding oncoming cars.

jdg

Post by jdg » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:41 pm

holyhead wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:50 am
Why dipped them?
Only dipped lights in an build up area or in an area with streetlights.
I don’t want to dazzle drivers coming towards me by leaving them on full beam when I can see them in the distance.

jdg

Post by jdg » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:47 pm

Thanks for your replies. The roads in my area are mostly unlit but I cannot drive on full beam when traffic is approaching even at some distance. As a result I can’t see further than approximately 2 car lengths ahead of me. The lights are bright and illuminate well but the angle they are set at does not illuminate a sufficient safe distance ahead. My last vehicle had LED lights and this was never an issue. The head lighting is very poor and I will be returning to the dealer ASAP.

deep

Post by deep » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:12 pm

Some people are getting Sidelights, Low Beam (normal headlights) and High Beam/Full Beam (blue warning light on dash) mixed up.

The OP is saying that his Normal Low Beam headlights are aimed too low on LED. I agree - they are.

The comment about them dipping below 30mph is regarding auto High Beam.

jdg

Post by jdg » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:27 am

Just to update, I visited my local Toyota dealer and they examined the car. They agreed with me about the poor lighting but told me they are unable to do anything about it. The service manager admitted when he was using another CHR fitted with LED headlights he was experiencing the same issues. All they can do for me apparently is send the information to Toyota UK technical department and see if they can offer a solution to the problem or issue a recall 🙁 but I’m guessing they won’t be interested unless enough people have the same issue and complain.

BenD

Post by BenD » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:15 am

Update , Been to dealer ,Everyone with led lights on c-hr are complaining by sounds of things ,
Upgrade bulb available through toyota dealer costs 50 to 60 pounds fitted free.even guy in workshop agreed he has led lights that they are not great ..but new bulbs do help
Seems a problem with LED headlight ,and i though it was my eye sight !!!!!

asinrute

Post by asinrute » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:55 pm

In view of the previous posts, I looked at my led lights when I was out driving tonight, to be honest I think they are excellent, very bright on full beam and an excellent distance and they never miss when it comes to dipping. My previous 2 cars both had leds so have been used to them for a few years, and my CHR is as good as either of them. Mine is one of the early cars so perhaps they changed the design. Strange one
Toyota C-HR Dynamic Hybrid ,Metal Stream with Black Roof, Leather and Running boards

BenD

Post by BenD » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:51 am

The brightness of led s not the problem , its the way the beam cuts off
you would near think auto levelling was not or over thinking the dips in road as the car travels along .
Sometimes the cut of for dipped beam is just so short its scary , really not safe as your dip cut distance could be fine .
Then dip in road or round a corner with bit of change in road and light dip cut off drops to scary distances the road in front just pitch black !!!!

jdg

Post by jdg » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:48 am

BenD wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:51 am
The brightness of led s not the problem , its the way the beam cuts off
you would near think auto levelling was not or over thinking the dips in road as the car travels along .
Sometimes the cut of for dipped beam is just so short its scary , really not safe as your dip cut distance could be fine .
Then dip in road or round a corner with bit of change in road and light dip cut off drops to scary distances the road in front just pitch black !!!!

That’s exactly what I am experiencing and it really is bad at times, like driving into the unknown.

It’s a shame as it’s making me dislike an otherwise excellent car.

Return to “Main Toyota C-HR chat”