Flat battery!

All Toyota C-HR related discussions
Timur

Re: Flat battery!

Post by Timur » Sun May 03, 2020 4:30 pm

Bill Gilruth wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 1:16 pm
My battery went flat with no dashboard lights. I contacted RAC who wanted to charge me £85 because I didn’t have home start, I turned it down, Toyota help line was no help. I bought a charger for £25 and charged it myself, taking 6 hours.
At the beginning I didn’t remove one of the battery connections and I got lots of relay clicking but once I detached the battery positive lead, the easiest one to remove, all worked well, the car is now up and running.
The moral of this story for those who are thick like me REMOVE ONE LEAD FROM THE BATTERY before starting to recharge.
The tip of the day is to purchase an Artex Portable Jump Starter with no need to remove a battery lead, just in case you are not at home
Hi Bill, thank you for the information,
How did you connect the charger clamps, positive clamp to (+) battery post and negative to (-) battery post or to the engine block (ground)?

Dave D

Post by Dave D » Sun May 03, 2020 5:44 pm

Timur wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 4:30 pm
Bill Gilruth wrote:
My battery went flat with no dashboard lights. I contacted RAC who wanted to charge me £85 because I didn’t have home start, I turned it down, Toyota help line was no help. I bought a charger for £25 and charged it myself, taking 6 hours.
At the beginning I didn’t remove one of the battery connections and I got lots of relay clicking but once I detached the battery positive lead, the easiest one to remove, all worked well, the car is now up and running.
The moral of this story for those who are thick like me REMOVE ONE LEAD FROM THE BATTERY before starting to recharge.
The tip of the day is to purchase an Artex Portable Jump Starter with no need to remove a battery lead, just in case you are not at home
How did you connect the charger clamps, positive clamp to (+) battery post and negative to (-) battery post or to the engine block (ground)?
I was told when the AA came out to mine that if I was recharging the battery with it still connected to the car wiring, to always connect the Negative charger lead to the car engine block not the negative battery terminal. He said it was safe to recharge the battery without disconnecting it.
Hybrid Excel White Pearl....With no stick on plastic tat from China... Running on supermarket fuel...

Timur

Post by Timur » Sun May 03, 2020 6:22 pm

Thank you Dave D.

Charlie19

Post by Charlie19 » Mon May 04, 2020 11:54 am

Dave D wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 5:44 pm
Timur wrote:
Bill Gilruth wrote:
I was told when the AA came out to mine that if I was recharging the battery with it still connected to the car wiring, to always connect the Negative charger lead to the car engine block not the negative battery terminal. He said it was safe to recharge the battery without disconnecting it.
My position is similar to Bill's - because I don't have home start Toyota refused to help me and given that all dealerships are closed that left me stranded, albeit at home.
Like Bill, I too found my own solution, this time by jump starting from another car and it looks like the best longerm solution, assuming I keep the car, would be a portable booster jump start pack of which Artek is one of so many of varying cost and unknown reliability to choose from.
I wonder how long they store power for without degrading - it would need to be for a long time if they are to be a dependable, if expensive, 'get out of jail' card to solve a design problem that should not be there in the first place?
I remain most unimpressed with Toyota's unhelpful attitude.

adn1962

Post by adn1962 » Tue May 05, 2020 6:25 pm

Charlie19 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 11:54 am
Dave D wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 5:44 pm
Timur wrote:

My position is similar to Bill's - because I don't have home start Toyota refused to help me and given that all dealerships are closed that left me stranded, albeit at home.
Like Bill, I too found my own solution, this time by jump starting from another car and it looks like the best longerm solution, assuming I keep the car, would be a portable booster jump start pack of which Artek is one of so many of varying cost and unknown reliability to choose from.
I wonder how long they store power for without degrading - it would need to be for a long time if they are to be a dependable, if expensive, 'get out of jail' card to solve a design problem that should not be there in the first place?
I remain most unimpressed with Toyota's unhelpful attitude.
Not sure why anyone wouldn’t have breakdown cover. For £30 a year, you would have been sorted.
Metalstream Excel 2018. Mud flaps, dash cam, Bumper corner protection, chrome boot and sill protectors, door handle protection film, Smoked Toyota wind deflectors, Spare wheel kit.
Bike - 2018 Honda Forza 300, touring screen, top box and Puig handguards.

Charlie19

Post by Charlie19 » Tue May 05, 2020 7:36 pm

Please show me where you can buy breakdown recovery and home start for £30?

Better to buy a Lexus or a Honda that gives proper full unequivocal breakdown cover for the duration of the warranty?

Anixie

Post by Anixie » Tue May 05, 2020 8:31 pm

Don't get it.... My Hybrid has been standing outside for 3 weeks. Go to the car this morning, keyless go, car opens. push the starter and off I go. No issues at all with battery.
Ruby-Flare C-HR C-Lub Hybrid version, black roof, JBL sound system

Charlie19

Post by Charlie19 » Tue May 05, 2020 9:24 pm

The AA called today, checked the battery, declared it duff, probably a cell failure, and replaced it with a new Bosch battery under warranty.

Shame it took a week but we seem to have got there in the end.

adn1962

Post by adn1962 » Tue May 05, 2020 10:09 pm

Charlie19 wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 7:36 pm
Please show me where you can buy breakdown recovery and home start for £30?

Better to buy a Lexus or a Honda that gives proper full unequivocal breakdown cover for the duration of the warranty?

161D0767-03DA-4088-AC5E-8C44E65D4E97.jpeg

RAC £35
Metalstream Excel 2018. Mud flaps, dash cam, Bumper corner protection, chrome boot and sill protectors, door handle protection film, Smoked Toyota wind deflectors, Spare wheel kit.
Bike - 2018 Honda Forza 300, touring screen, top box and Puig handguards.

Charlie19

Post by Charlie19 » Wed May 06, 2020 11:33 am

More than 1/4 mile from your home is a very different scenario to home start, which as one would expect means getting you started at home - it pays to check the definitions before deciding which you need!