Flat battery!

All Toyota C-HR related discussions
MBH

Battery!!!!

Post by MBH » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:02 am

My C-HR 12V battery has failed me for the 3rd time!
I have followed the advice regarding regular running, I have heard all the excuses regarding discharging when parked due to 'so many auxiliary electronic' circuits on modern cars and it's been suggested that I should carry a 'start battery kit' in the car - All recommended to me by my Toyota dealer.
In a modern car this is frustrating, annoying, unacceptable and is destroying my confidence in the car. What if I have an emergency to attend and the car fails to start!
Today I have contacted Toyota directly via their Website. I have suggested that Toyota engineers review this issue and that Toyota themselves provide an explanation and permanent remedial action. The design of a 'trickle charge' circuit between the Hybrid battery and the 12V battery would provide a good solution.

Dave D

Re: Battery!!!!

Post by Dave D » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:39 pm

The last thing you want is the Hybrid battery to become discharged due to it topping up the 12v battery. I drive my car a few miles to the supermarket each week and its been fine. I have also left it unused for 4 weeks when away on holiday, ensuring the car had a good run before going away and it has only once had a flat 12v battery out of six holidays, and I blame that on the fact I forgot to remove the door auto lock plug from the car before going away.
Hybrid Excel White Pearl....With no stick on plastic tat from China... Running on supermarket fuel...

Alexr

Post by Alexr » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:26 pm

What’s a door auto luck plug?
All the best
Alex
------------------------
Loving driving my C-HR Excel Hybrid in Metal Stream :P

Dave D

Post by Dave D » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:41 pm

Alexr wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:26 pm
What’s a door auto luck plug?
Its a plug that plugs into the diagnostic socket that locks the car doors when the car starts to move off. I usually unplug it when I go on holiday but forgot on this occasion and I came back from holiday to a flat battery.
Hybrid Excel White Pearl....With no stick on plastic tat from China... Running on supermarket fuel...

genman

Re: Flat battery!

Post by genman » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:06 pm

Battery on my 19 plate CHR has gone flat twice. First after 4 weeks of no use so generally try to get out at least one every 2 weeks.
Latest failure flat battery but had taken car out on a decent run 2 weeks ago. Currently with dealer so waiting on verdict.
Batteries should not run flat like this on a modern car and by the way no courtesy lights etc. left on.

adn1962

Post by adn1962 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:19 pm

Couple of things to do/check:-

1. Make sure car setting to search for key signal is reduced from 5 days down to 2 or 3. This can be done at dealer.
2. Switch off fob signal after every trip ( saves fob battery )
3. Make sure dash cam switches off when power turned off.
4. Make sure both battery terminals are clean and tight.

If any of the above don’t fix, suggest a new battery.
Metalstream Excel 2018. Mud flaps, dash cam, Bumper corner protection, chrome boot and sill protectors, door handle protection film, Smoked Toyota wind deflectors, Spare wheel kit.
Bike - 2018 Honda Forza 300, touring screen, top box and Puig handguards.

Countryside

Post by Countryside » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:34 am

I pick up my brand new CHR design 1.8 hybrid in 10 weeks hope battery is ok I do around 200 miles a week

Blondpaula

Post by Blondpaula » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:25 pm

My CH-r hybrid is under 6 months old and have to call out Toyota assist twice! It went into Steven Eagell to check what was happening
Apparently nothing wrong?? They said battery ok and no underlying problems. Offered me a solar key which apparently they have had to give to several drivers. Then gave me an invoice for checking the battery!!! Personally I do t think the battery is powerful enough for this model.

smartly

Post by smartly » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:34 pm

What is a solar key?
2020 (20 ) Toyota C-HR 2.0 Hybrid Orange Edition

2018 ( 68 ) Toyota C-HR 1.8 Hybrid in Nebula Blue, Dynamic with Premium Pack