Flat battery!

All Toyota C-HR related discussions
Kiss u

Re: Flat battery!

Post by Kiss u » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:50 pm

I’ve got the hybrid model and went away last winter for all of Dec and most of Jan,the car was left outside in the snow and cold.
On getting back it started first press of the starter button.
I was very impressed! 8-)

andrew@arogoff.com

Post by andrew@arogoff.com » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:23 pm

I left my hazard lights on for around 3 hours the other day and came back to a completely flat battery. Car wouldn't start so I called roadside assistance and waited 3 hours for them to come and jump start it. After which, a lot of the electronics weren't working perfectly.

A few months later, I left it on my driveway for a couple of weeks and the battery was flat again! Thankfully roadside assistance came a bit quicker this time. I've never known a car battery to be so pathetic. This is definitely not what I expect from a virtually new car from such a reliable manufacturer. I can only assume that the immobiliser and other electronics drain the battery at such a high rate that it needs very frequent driving.

Surely they could design it so that the battery is isolated when it becomes critically low. I would rather have to open my door with the manual key than have a car that won't start when I need it. Very disappointed.

Walt

Post by Walt » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:29 pm

andrew@arogoff.com wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:23 pm
I left my hazard lights on for around 3 hours the other day and came back to a completely flat battery. Car wouldn't start so I called roadside assistance and waited 3 hours for them to come and jump start it. After which, a lot of the electronics weren't working perfectly.

A few months later, I left it on my driveway for a couple of weeks and the battery was flat again! Thankfully roadside assistance came a bit quicker this time. I've never known a car battery to be so pathetic. This is definitely not what I expect from a virtually new car from such a reliable manufacturer. I can only assume that the immobiliser and other electronics drain the battery at such a high rate that it needs very frequent driving.

Surely they could design it so that the battery is isolated when it becomes critically low. I would rather have to open my door with the manual key than have a car that won't start when I need it. Very disappointed.
Had same issue when not using car for couple of days when we had -2 weather. Happened twice. Battery totally flat. Had to use key to unlock door. I have booster pack in garage. So used that to start car. Told dealer. They fitted new battery as after testing car for power drain etc. They couldn't see why battery went flat. They told me they had issues with the gt86 battery in cold weather and they had to replace them with better battery. Maybe same issue with c-hrs.
Nebula blue dynamic.
Sports pack.wind deflectors.mudflaps etc.
With interior blue leds. And carbon addon bits. Running on shell V-Power.

andrew@arogoff.com

Post by andrew@arogoff.com » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:17 pm

It's just happened to me again! I drove it around until the battery was charged last time. This time, I left it in my driveway for 18 days and the battery was flat again. Can't believe this car can't survive 18 days without being driven. Completely ridiculous. Going to replace the battery and see if that makes a difference.

Karmalakas

Post by Karmalakas » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:46 pm

By any chance your keyfob was left somewhere near the driveway? You should disable keyfob signal if left for extended periods of time. I had to leave my car twice for two weeks and didn't have any problem.
HSD in Earth Bronze (a.k.a. Havana Brown)

Dave D

Post by Dave D » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:22 pm

My Hybrid was left for 6 weeks in Dec and Jan in the garage..Started first time...
Hybrid Excel White Pearl....With no stick on plastic bits from China... Running on supermarket fuel...

Walt

Post by Walt » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:22 pm

There is an issue with the batteries. Toyota replaced mine when it went flat twice and was only left for 2 to 3 days of not being used. They had same issue with gt86 and they had a battery upgrade. Could be same for Chrs. Just what the mechanic told me at my Toyota dealer.
Nebula blue dynamic.
Sports pack.wind deflectors.mudflaps etc.
With interior blue leds. And carbon addon bits. Running on shell V-Power.

Rosie60

Post by Rosie60 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:26 pm

Just come back to car, left at the airport for three weeks and battery completely flat. Managed to get to going with help from jump leads although it was a bit touch and go, I was getting a message “EPB activation incomplete” I had a quick look on line and tried fiddling with the brake switch and the engine eventually started. Off to the dealers tomorrow to get it checked out
Excel in Tyrol Silver with protection pack, Supaguard treatment, protection pack and boot liner.

Rosie60

Re: Flat battery! - update

Post by Rosie60 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:57 pm

Been to the garage. They carried out a battery test and a recharge test and said all was fine. However after some further discussion they agreed to send a technical report to Toyota and I have now had a call asking me to bring the car back in for some more tests as requested by Toyota. I think they need to test what is happening when it is just sitting parked so they may need it for a couple of days. Will update in due course
Excel in Tyrol Silver with protection pack, Supaguard treatment, protection pack and boot liner.

Subota Boy

Post by Subota Boy » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:51 am

With reference to the GT86 battery issue. UK cars were supplied with a Panasonic 48aH battery as standard, and it is believed that the alarm system has a heavy drain on the battery in infrequent use. It is now policy for most dealers to supply a Toyota 65aH battery FOC to replace the original 48aH item. This seems to solve the problem for most customers.

I was disappointed to find a 48aH battery in my C-HR engine bay, especially considering it has many more electronic "aids" compared to the GT86.
Our Toyota family consists of C-HR Excel Hybrid in black, Toyota IQ, Toyota GT86.

Return to “Main Toyota C-HR chat”