Toyota C-HR Forum banner

Jerky Wiper

17K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  kishornur 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

Picked up our CHR couple weeks now, everything is good and like the car very much. After the heatwaves in the UK and the first time we use the front wipers, they are very jerky.... as the car is only about 10 days old, we brought it back to the dealership, the examine the car and took couple of videos to send it back to Toyota UK to investigate. Toyota UK advised to change the wiper arms as well as the wiper to correct the problems.

I did query this further with the dealership further because this indicate wrong wiper arms were fitted at the factory and wonder how many cars are affected!

I am having this fix on Monday and will advise if the change of parts make the wiper better.

Any thoughts guys?

Gareth

#2 ·
Its better to clean the window first manually in that case. Moisture, flies and even the wipers are very dry because of the heat.
Or wash/wipe them every day so dirt cant build up and wipers are kept flexible.

Best way to clean the window:
Spray window cleaner on microfiber sponge (and window if you like) and rub the window with the microfiber sponge.
Then take the residue off with clean microfiber towel. Best is to use a detailing glass-towel. Pricy but works much better.
Also clean the rubbers of the wipers with a soaked towell.

That way you almost never have stripes and a haze when you need the wipers when raining. ;)

Next super cleaning step is to use a claybar on your windscreen to remove all sticky-dirt and other hard sticky things... That will make the surface clean and smooth so your wipers will fly over it again. ;)

#3 ·
Hi DutChr,

That is what I thought after the issue, I used Autoglym Fast Glass to clean and then applied RainX. This actually make it worst and after Two try, we decided to bring it back to dealership and were informed the wiper arms change after advise by Toyota UK.

I know wiper unusually not covered by warranty but if wrong parts were fitted, I should be change.

Thanks

Gareth

#5 ·
Hi, Gareth. You are right.
The wipers of C-HR has the problem, as you mentioned.
Many owners in Japan has been aware of it.
Finally, Toyota started to change original wipers "Flat wipers" to fixed wipers "Aero wipers" at no charge in JAPAN.
Actually, "Flat wipers" are newly developed wipers, but "Aero wipers" are old wipers.
These problem happened also in 50 series Prius.

This picture shows new "Flat wipers"
View attachment 1906

I recently changed the "Flat wipers" to "Aero wipers". The base structure is different.
View attachment 1905

You can find that it's a white C-HR.
View attachment 1903

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

After that, I told my friend of silver C-HR.
Car Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Silver C-HR has been changed to "Aero wipers".
Automotive parking light Automotive side-view mirror Vehicle Car Wheel

You can find several web pages in Japanese that changed wipers as follows.
https://minkara.carview.co.jp/userid/2340913/car/2329587/4805868/note.aspx
https://cartune.me/notes/GsVdHL5mpp
https://carlifeanddiy.com/2018/06/19/ch-rwiper-trouble/

Good luck.

Attachments

#8 ·
Hi CHR_Fan Jap,

Thanks for your information, it is very informative.

Btw, we had the change at the dealership today and it is all fixed.

Just thinking more of the issue, considering there was an issue with the crack windscreen with the initial spec CHR and the windscreen was subsequently changed, this may affected the initial wiper spec. and caused this issue.

Any thought guys?

Thanks,

Gareth

#9 ·
Jatski

"Flat wipers" is all wrong.
This newly developed wiper increased power of press then resulted in troubles.

Gareth

That's a good news that your troubles has been fixed.

In my case, I found the jerky wiper within a year, then I changed the wiper rubbers.
Then this problem looks like fixed.

When I knew this topics, I claimed this to the dealer and they changed my wipers.
Typically the dealer won't change parts without the symptoms.
I changed the wiper rubbers then vibration disappeared.

But they have already known this topics.
That is why they changed my wipers without the vibration.

If you changed the wiper rubbers, you do not feel vibration of wipers for a while.
But you might feel the wipers to vibrate later.

Follow up your wipers, please.

#10 ·
Hi Guys,

The dealership changed the arms and new flat wiper, they have not change it to the aero wipers.

I will monitor the issue and take it from there. I still believe it is the result of the changed windscreen due to the initial crack screen issue.

#13 ·
Hi I also have a jerky wiper &#x1f937-1f3fc-2642; It's the drivers side about 3quarters off the way down so annoying.
Never had the windscreen replaced car is one year old.
Any ideas on a fix doing my head in now that it' raining a lot.
Thanks.

#15 ·
I have the flat type of wipers and the right-hand blade would judder and screech when going in the down direction (towards parked) when the windscreen was almost dry (light rain). It was not a problem when it was heaver rain. Cleaning the windscreen and wiper blades with rain-x glass cleaner helped for a bit, but eventually it returns.

As it was only judder in one direction, I decided to change the blades angle of attack by using a adjustable spanner on the wiper arm and giving it a slight twist so the wiper blade is angled to run smoothly in that direction.

Since making this small change. a couple of weeks ago, the wiper has been silent and judder free.

#17 ·
Try changing the blades to BOSCH Aerotwin Wiper Blades.
(2 front blades, set number A156S).

Problem solved. :D

Important: My C-HR is left hand drive. Check if this set available to right hand drive too. :!:

#19 ·
Finally decided to change the wipers as the juddering eventually came back (even with a super clean windscreen). I guess the rubber had lost some springiness...

There aren't many option to buy third party wipers on the internet so I phoned a Toyota dealer and they quoted £36, but would give me discount so they would only cost £27. I thought that was still expensive so I phone another dealer and they quoted £19.60 for both wipers. Picked them up (genuine Toyota/Lexus parts) and they work really quietly.

I'm not sure why the difference in price between dealers but if you get a high price then price check at another dealer...

#20 ·
I have same problem with driver side wiper . I try most expensive wiper change by Toyota but still same . I saw hear most people solved that issue change that arm. Can anyone tail me the part number should I change to flat to aero wiper arm. I am from Ireland my C-hr is Luna sports and 2018/2. Thanks

#21 ·
C-HR FAN_JAPAN said:
Hi, Gareth. You are right.
The wipers of C-HR has the problem, as you mentioned.
Many owners in Japan has been aware of it.
Finally, Toyota started to change original wipers "Flat wipers" to fixed wipers "Aero wipers" at no charge in JAPAN.
Actually, "Flat wipers" are newly developed wipers, but "Aero wipers" are old wipers.
These problem happened also in 50 series Prius.

This picture shows new "Flat wipers"
01.png

I recently changed the "Flat wipers" to "Aero wipers". The base structure is different.
02.png

You can find that it's a white C-HR.
04.png

スクリーンショット 2018-07-30 10.23.17.png

After that, I told my friend of silver C-HR.
05.png

Silver C-HR has been changed to "Aero wipers".
06.png

You can find several web pages in Japanese that changed wipers as follows.
https://minkara.carview.co.jp/userid/2340913/car/2329587/4805868/note.aspx
https://cartune.me/notes/GsVdHL5mpp
https://carlifeanddiy.com/2018/06/19/ch-rwiper-trouble/

Good luck.
Hi can please give a link or part number for arm that I can change and change flat to aero wiper. .. thanks

#22 ·
Lilywhite said:
Hi I also have a jerky wiper &#x1f937-1f3fc-2642; It's the drivers side about 3quarters off the way down so annoying.
Never had the windscreen replaced car is one year old.
Any ideas on a fix doing my head in now that it' raining a lot.
Thanks.
Hi I saw you was discus about problem your C-hr Luna sports .is this problem solved. ? If yes can you please let me know how . As I try as I can talk to Toyota about 1 shop say they can't find any issue other shop say they can't do anything......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.