Windscreen distortions and how to solve it

All Toyota C-HR related discussions
Flood

Windscreen distortions and how to solve it

Post by Flood » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:18 pm

If you read my previous posts you will know that Toyota have already put 4 new windscreens in my C-HR and all of them have had distortions in them. The distortions are never the same, some windsceens that I had were worse then others. These distortions are in front of the viewing area and not just in the side of the windscreen (which are normal)

After the 4th windscreen I asked my local Toyota dealer/garage to let somebody from headoffice here in Belgium to come and take a look at it.

Yesterday he came and these are our findings and solutions

-The distortion in the windscreen of my car are very noticable and could not be disputed.
I have a 1.2 C-enter edition without DAB. That means that my windscreen has no DAB antenne in it (brand windsceen Sececam)

-Another C-HR that was standing in the parkinglot of my local garage that also didn't have the DAB antenne in it also had very noticable distortions in the windscreen (and in this car the windscreen was never replaced). (same brand of windscreen Sececam)

-In the showroom of my local garage there was a C-HR with DAB antenne in the windscreen (AGC automotive). This windscreen did NOT have any distortions.

We (myself and the person from Toyota headquarters Belgium) came to the following conclusion after further investigation:

-Probably all C-HR windscreens without DAB antenna and made by sececam will have distortions in the windscreen. Some will have it more then others.
-Windscreens with DAB Antenna's (from AGC) don't have any windscreen distortions.

Solution : Toyota Belgium has agreed to install in my C-HR the windscreen with DAB antenna (from AGC) even if that means that my car will differ from the normal specifications. A small line at the top of the windscreen will be noticable because of the Antenna and it will serve no function but i'm OK with that.

So people that have problems with distortions in their windsceen will most likely have no DAB in their C-HR. Don't make the same mistake I did en let the local toyota garage fit a new windscreen in it, you will keep ending up with the same result.
Toyota C-HR 1.2 CVT Metal Stream

dim_theo

Re: Windscreen distortions and how to solve it

Post by dim_theo » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:05 pm

Do all cars with Touch 2 have DAB?

Flood

Post by Flood » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:13 pm

dim_theo wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:05 pm
Do all cars with Touch 2 have DAB?
I have Touch 2 Go and no DAB

dim_theo

Post by dim_theo » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:19 pm

So you are saying that DAB windscreen is better but other people in the forums are saying the complete opposite. I saw posts that say their windscreen cracked next to the DAB and their dealer told them it is the DAB connector that cracks the window. Do a search for DAB and you will find the posts. Regarding the make/ manufacturer of the Glass i think that is more interesting.

Flood

Post by Flood » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:28 pm

dim_theo wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:19 pm
So you are saying that DAB windscreen is better but other people in the forums are saying the complete opposite. I saw posts that say their windscreen cracked next to the DAB and their dealer told them it is the DAB connector that cracks the window. Do a search for DAB and you will find the posts. Regarding the make/ manufacturer of the Glass i think that is more interesting.
I know about the cracked windscreen of the DAB version. I don't know if they resolved this issue yet. I'm going to take my chances, driving around with a distorted windscreen was no option for me.

We Le

Post by We Le » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:44 pm

Interesting?
To be continued! I guess...
CHR HYBRID LOUNGE... mica Black/ Full led and comfort pack/ trailer hook
No Navi...

We Le

Post by We Le » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:46 pm

Distortion is one thing, cracks in windscreens another...
I would wait until both problems are solved...
CHR HYBRID LOUNGE... mica Black/ Full led and comfort pack/ trailer hook
No Navi...

ans

Post by ans » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:11 pm

cracked windscreen is supposed to have been resolved with a new modified screen which i have just had fitted but will hold judgement on that for a while
Toyota C-HR Dynamic Hybrid ,Metal Stream with Black roof.
Mudflaps,LED interior lights
with Chrome extras.
Wind deflectors,Running boards
Incar Wifi

https://www.chrforums.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=965
Mercedes 2020 CLA 250 premium plus

MarkyMUK

Post by MarkyMUK » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:23 pm

When changed with the DAB screen any chance they can run a connector/lead can add an aftermarket one? :)
Decuma Grey Hybrid ceramic paint sealed Icon with mud flaps and wind deflectors
Audi A6 3.0 quattro, remapped to 268BHP quad zausts
2014 Jaguar XK Dynamic R running at 560bhp

ans

Post by ans » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:55 pm

MarkyMUK wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:23 pm
When changed with the DAB screen any chance they can run a connector/lead can add an aftermarket one? :)
why?
if its fitted in the screen wouldnt it be easier to just connect it .
or do you mean have a screen without dab aerial fitted to a car with dab radio and have an aftermarket aerial installed to get round the problem, :idea:
i guess toyota would not do it as it is not to spec
Toyota C-HR Dynamic Hybrid ,Metal Stream with Black roof.
Mudflaps,LED interior lights
with Chrome extras.
Wind deflectors,Running boards
Incar Wifi

https://www.chrforums.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=965
Mercedes 2020 CLA 250 premium plus