Toyota C-HR Forum banner

C-HR Hybrid 2020 Fr RH Drive Shaft failure ALERT

5K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  phillips88 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I have had a Fr RH Drive Shaft failure on a 2020 C-HR Hybrid 2LT EXCEL with only 4000miles + (shaft broke in two in the middle) has any body else had a similar problems please let me know,
also i found on-line an ALERT RECALL through out the EU dated 23/10/2020 of which the UK was still a member yet to this date the UK has not issued any recall, my wife was driving the car when the drive shaft broke she nearly had an accident due to the failure and was very shaken and now totally refusing to drive the C-HR.

Take a look at the RAPEX ALERT 43/2020. RECALL Notice code: 20SMD-051

Regards
Kel

#2 ·
Gosh, how frightening. Glad no accident happened. Just to reassure those reading this, the recall notice only affects cars manufactured on 2 or 3 specific days in Jan 2020, so is not a general fault/recall. Even so those specific cars should have been followed up.

#3 ·
Hi Alex
The recall states : Toyota C-HR Hybrid models affected by this recall were manufactured between 5th and 21st of January 2020 with (K53BX) in Vin, and 7th and 8th of January 2020 with (K54BX) in Vin, that is a lot more than 2 or 3 specific days.

Regards
Kel

#4 ·
kel2020 said:
Hi Alex
The recall states : Toyota C-HR Hybrid models affected by this recall were manufactured between 5th and 21st of January 2020 with (K53BX) in Vin, and 7th and 8th of January 2020 with (K54BX) in Vin, that is a lot more than 2 or 3 specific days.

Regards
Kel
Sorry, you are correct, I misread it.

#5 ·
Does it detail what the recall is for & what the fix is?

#8 ·
#9 ·
All right wheel drive C-HR are build in Turkey. That's what Toyota UK blog claims.
Toyota can't blame Brexit for a recall. It does look like the recall may not be wide enough.
I'm looking forward for any updates from @kel2020. Unless the car was used for racing of gravel, there's no way for Toyota not to cover the problem under warranty plus some compensations.
No matter if it's a sourcing/manufacturing/one-off issue, it would be traumatic to have a new car broke down while driving.

#10 ·
We get in Australia the C-HR direct from a Toyota factory in Japan, no recalls (so far). Hope it works out ok for you guys.

In fact all Toyotas come from either Japan, and a small selection coming from Thailand.

BTW a small error in my previous post re the RON in standard unleaded fuel in Australia. I stated 92 RON, it is actually 91 RON.

Take care!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.