New Member - about to buy a 2018 C-HR

New to the Toyota C-HR Forums? Introduce yourself here
Swiss Tony

New Member - about to buy a 2018 C-HR

Post by Swiss Tony » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:15 pm

Hi everybody,

Great to be here and looking forward to chatting in the forum. Looking to buy but torn between which model to buy. I test drove a hybrid Corolla 1.8 and found acceleration to be somewhat flat which is what has pushed me towards the 1.2l. Would be interested to hear your views on the pro's and con's of the 1.2T against the 1.8 hybrid - fuel saving seems the be the main benefit but as we live right on the edge of the new ULEZ zone I wonder if the hybrid is a better longer term bet.

Cheers

Swiss Tony

Osprey

Re: New Member - about to buy a 2018 C-HR

Post by Osprey » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:32 am

Hi Swiss,

lots of opinions on the forum but just to let you know we chose Hybrid for economy and nothing else. We live in a rural area and in the village are 2 x CHRs with the 1.2t. One of them has stopped being used as a commuting car because of the mpg, the other just potters locally. If the 1.2t returned the average we are experiencing after 1500 miles (66-67mpg) I'd have jumped at it.
The hybrid demands you drive it smoothly and 'flooring it' does produce the whine that so many motoring hacks describe. HOWEVER, drive it smoothly and relax a little and it is one of the quietest, comfortable and refined cars we have had in a while.

Hope this helps.
CHR Hybrid Excel in Metal Stream
BMW X3 X-Line
Previously Aygo X-clusiv2, two MR-2 Roadsters, Landcruiser VX, Subaru Forester, BMW X5, 5 series,4 series, Audis..... no wonder I'm broke :?

nigelhj

Post by nigelhj » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:14 pm

Hello Tony, can't advise you on the 1.2 as have not driven/had one but.......in terms of acceleration there is very little between either of them. With the hybrid version and if driving around the London area you stand to make huge savings on fuel compared to the 1.2.

As Osprey wrote, to get the best out of the hybrid then you have to drive it smoothly, I keep mine in 'eco' mode all the time, granted, acceleration is not quick but then that is the whole purpose of driving the hybrid after all, you are not going to lose that much time on a journey but if I need it to overtake say an HGV I select 'power mode' and the mid-range acceleration is enough to overtake quickly and safely.

If you are looking for fuel economy then the hybrid version is the one to go for and also bear in mind that the performance figures 0 - 62mph for the 1.2 is about 10.9 secs whereas the hybrid version is 11 secs so nothing much gained performance wise with the 1.2.

Regards
Nigel.
Dynamic Hybrid in Nebula Blue with Black Roof

Iangrimmett

Post by Iangrimmett » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:47 pm

I have 2017 1.2 auto.
Whatever model you choose will have strengths and weaknesses, advantages and disadvantages, good and bad points.
At the end of the day you choose what suits you and what you like.
It is a very personal thing and everybody will have a differing view to one extent or other.
I like what we chose, not the most economical but, it's not just about mpg but overall owner satisfaction.

Return to “Introductions”