Toyota C-HR Forum banner

Faulty Front Parking sensor!!

52K views 50 replies 16 participants last post by  TheMasahiro 
#1 ·
It all started on the way back from the UK after using the cruise control, the front parking sensor would just go mad in a traffic jam, yes it was as we travelled around the M25 ;)

It has now got to the stage that if I pull up to a set of traffic lights or a simple T junction and the front two parking sensors go mad, showing a red line on the display, I have to turn the parking sensors off after I have started a journey and turn them back on when parking, which is fine but not the idea behind them..

Funny part was as I was showing the service guy what the problem is, it happened as I was reversing out of the dealers parking lot :lol:

Now waiting for a phone call to see what the next step is.

#4 ·
Lennovich said:
Hello,

I have the same issue since a week...totally goiing nuts with that sensor. I disable it for the moment. Will go to dealer ASAP.
Let us now what the problem was.

Thanks,

Len
Will do, let me know how you got on as well.

#5 ·
I had the same issue and posted on here too. No one seems to have an answer yet.

I really think it's something to do with water on or around the sensors. It only happens to me after a frosty morning or in the rain. I also drove fine yesterday, then gave her a good clean and dry, then took her out and it started going off again!

I had an update from my garage last week that this issue has finally been acknowledged by Toyota. Their first advice on this is to raise the number plate. That has apparently solved the issue on a test case.

Your Toyota dealer WILL have access to this system, so I advise you talk to them and don't be fobbed off.

Mine is booked in for next week. Fingers crossed!!

#6 ·
Madams said:
I had the same issue and posted on here too. No one seems to have an answer yet.

I really think it's something to do with water on or around the sensors. It only happens to me after a frosty morning or in the rain. I also drove fine yesterday, then gave her a good clean and dry, then took her out and it started going off again!

I had an update from my garage last week that this issue has finally been acknowledged by Toyota. Their first advice on this is to raise the number plate. That has apparently solved the issue on a test case.

Your Toyota dealer WILL have access to this system, so I advise you talk to them and don't be fobbed off.

Mine is booked in for next week. Fingers crossed!!
From the numberplate was earlier mentioned on this forum and that solved the problem.

https://www.chrforums.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=348&p=2526&hilit=parking+sensors#p2840

by IslandCHR » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:04 pm

Thank You so very much for this...My CHR has been in the garage to get this fault fixed. I shared this thread with them and sure enough, it was the number plate being too long.

What they did notice is the the Number plate plinth on the Excel is different to that on the Dynamic, hence the fault seems to be on Excels only.

#7 ·
Interesting, I still haven't heard anything from Toyota Germany but I was outside this afternoon washing the car and I did think about removing the front number plate plinth and seeing if that makes a difference. Maybe I'll have ago tomorrow afternoon and see if things get better.

#8 ·
So had a go this afternoon and it brings it's own problem with it, if you remove the plate plinth there are two 1" square holes on each side which are then exposed if you remove it, sure you could try and hide them behind the number plate but if you don't secure the ends of the number plate you can still see the holes.

Not the solution as far as I'm concerned, Toyota needs to find a better answer.

#10 ·
Madams said:
Yes, they say that it's water on the number plate. They have changed the number plate and apparently that should fix it.

Fingers crossed!
Water on the number plate :shock: :?

What kind of bone excuse is that then :evil:

I have written directly to Toyota and received a phone call 48hrs later from my dealer, to arrange a date the car can go in. So it's in next week, the only day I have time and if they come back with it's water on the number plate, someone will need to be wearing some kind of protective hearing device as I will flip :cool:

I think its the number plate holder that's the problem and not the sensors themselves, I might ask them to screw the number plate directly onto the plinth and see what happens then.

#12 ·
So at last I have an answer :D

The problem is the number plate, in Germany they come with number plate holders and mine was level with the plinth, which meant that the lower part of the number plate was causing the problem i.e. interfering with the sensors.

Solution: Raise the number plate holder by an inch, so that is now level with the bumper edge.

PDC has gone quiet :D

To be honest I had figured this out for myself and had already moved the number plate but I had to go to my dealer anyway as they fitted a new horn but it was nice to know that the above is the solution and that I wasn't the only one who had, had a problem.

#13 ·
The first time I have driven in the rain today since I collected my car almost a month ago and I have this problem too. It was driving me mad. Going off at every junction or at low speeds when there isnt a vehicle or obstacle in front. How on earth can it be rain dripping of the number plate when the two front sensors are either side of the number plate plinth about two inches away. I would have thought it would be water getting into the sensor. I wiped down the front bumper and number plate down but it made no difference. Only option is to turn the sensors off until it can be sorted.

#15 ·
DuncanM said:
The first time I have driven in the rain today since I collected my car almost a month ago and I have this problem too. It was driving me mad. Going off at every junction or at low speeds when there isnt a vehicle or obstacle in front. How on earth can it be rain dripping of the number plate when the two front sensors are either side of the number plate plinth about two inches away. I would have thought it would be water getting into the sensor. I wiped down the front bumper and number plate down but it made no difference. Only option is to turn the sensors off until it can be sorted.
Slight misunderstanding here. It was not JUST water.. it was water AND the number plate being too low.

Many dealers fit their own holders onto the plinth and when they overhang too much it causes these issues.
I am pretty sure that all that have changed their holders no longer have the issue?

Correct me if I am wrong someone but this post dried up when people realised and started changing their holders.
I removed my dealer fitted one and no more issues.

#17 ·
Here are some better pictures. No problem today as it isn't raining. Throwing a bucket full of water over the front of the car covering the bonnet, sensors and number plate did not bring the problem back. :?: :?

Attachments

#19 ·
Just to update you from my point of view - once the dealer moved the number plate up a touch, and replaced it with a normal one (not one with a little extra plastic under) my problem has not returned.

It's heaven to drive this car now with no issues!!!

#20 ·
DuncanM said:
Here are some better pictures. No problem today as it isn't raining. Throwing a bucket full of water over the front of the car covering the bonnet, sensors and number plate did not bring the problem back. :?: :?
The level of your number plate is the problem....trust me...move it up 1/2 - 1 inch and the problem will disappear. :D

#21 ·
Any chance some one else who had this problem rectified could post a picture of what their front number plate looks like now. A UK reg vehicle please. Ideally MerlyWerly ?

If the garage move the plate up it will project over the top of the plinth. UK plates have to be a standard size they cant be cut down to fit the overall height of the black plinth. I still cant see how that affects the sensor anyway as rain water will still run off the number plate if its half an inch higher.

#22 ·
Good luck sorting that.

I had a rear parking sensor fall out of it's hole. They have fixed it back in temporarily, while they order a "fixing kit". Check that yours do not push inside the bumper when you clean round them, It's an awful row when a sensor goes down, and you beep beep everywhere!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.