Regen Issue?

Faults and Technical chat for the Toyota C-HR
allan-chr

Regen Issue?

Post by allan-chr » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:49 am

Hi guys,

My 69 plate C-HR seems to have developed an interesting issue in the last few weeks. Essentially, when braking it will usually use the regen as expected, but sometimes the regen will drop out (EV indicator goes off too) and it will use engine braking, similar to B mode. I would expect it if the battery was full, after a long downhill for example, but it still has at least 2 empty bars showing.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? My thoughts are that the battery may be overheating (the vent is clear, and has been hoovered too), but no warnings are showing, and the car is happy to use EV for traction, so I'm not sure what the problem is.
=====================
Pearl White Dynamic Hybrid 2019 (69)

vodamark

Re: Regen Issue?

Post by vodamark » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:37 pm

What do you mean by "it will use engine braking instead of regen braking"? AFAIK "regen braking" is "engine braking", there is no other special way of braking. You either brake with your physical brakes on the wheels, or you brake via the electromagnetic generator/motor - wheels spin the generator/motor which generates electricity through EM induction, which also resists the spinning hence the car slows down.

Karmalakas

Post by Karmalakas » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:19 pm

Usually it won't engage regen if there are only 2 empty bars left. Same as it would never use EV mode when there are only 2 bars left. It's very rare when you see only one bar empty and even rarer - none at all.
HSD in Earth Bronze (a.k.a. Havana Brown)

drabisan

Post by drabisan » Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:06 pm

Just check if you didn't press by mistake hold button. There's an indicator near LDA.
It happened to me once and my experience matches what you're describing.

Alexr

Post by Alexr » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:30 pm

vodamark wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:37 pm
What do you mean by "it will use engine braking instead of regen braking"? AFAIK "regen braking" is "engine braking", there is no other special way of braking. You either brake with your physical brakes on the wheels, or you brake via the electromagnetic generator/motor - wheels spin the generator/motor which generates electricity through EM induction, which also resists the spinning hence the car slows down.
No, regen breaking means slowing the car down by adding drag via the charging of the battery - no engine involved. Engine breaking is like using a lower gear in a manual car where the engine itself provides the drag. The two are different and tother with the brake pads provide 3 ways of slowing down.
All the best
Alex
------------------------
Loved driving my C-HR Excel Hybrid in Metal Stream for 4 yrs
Now loving my C-HR 2.0 Dynamic in Pearl White and black. :P

DutCHR

Post by DutCHR » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:14 pm

When HV battery temperature is too high :

The regeneration and EV drive can be temporary disabled by the car.
The braking may be a bit harder.. you have to press the brake pedal harder (no regeneration accepted)
The EV-mode is not available.
The green EV light will not come up when lifting the pedal. Only when waiting for traffic light.
The ICE starts directly when you pull up.. even if you pull up very slow.

Nothing to worry about, it just have to cool down.
2017 C-HR Hybrid Metalstream Grey --- Genuine JDM styled and also a lot of sh*t from China
2019 Corolla TS 2.0 Hybrid --- 180HP Girlpower!

dimgr

Post by dimgr » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:10 pm

drabisan wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:06 pm
Just check if you didn't press by mistake hold button. There's an indicator near LDA.
It happened to me once and my experience matches what you're describing.
what does HOLD have to do with this?